'hide minimap display' is not working

Stats - Hide Minimap Display flag is broken - Bug Report - Warcraft III: Reforged Forums (blizzard.com)

hideOnMinimap in unitui.slk not working! - Bug Report - Warcraft III: Reforged Forums (blizzard.com)

hideOnMinimap in unitui.slk not working - Bug Report - Warcraft III: Reforged Forums (blizzard.com)

WorldEditor: Hide Minimap Display Broke in 1.32 - Bug Report - Warcraft III: Reforged Forums (blizzard.com)

Minimap - click not working all the time - Bug Report - Warcraft III: Reforged Forums (blizzard.com)

Why you guys didn’t fix this?

Hi Rocketeer. There aren’t such guys as who would fix this. The people capable of doing this have been sacked. The people who sacked the people capable of doing this, have also been sacked.

Edit:
I know how to fix this. I am a proficient Java/C++ programmer with the necessary degree. However, Microsoft will not hire me to fix this, because there is no manager who would care, and no manager who could hire a manager who would care. Also, I would not work for them, because my friends and family and social groups would tell me that going to be paid to fix this problem is not a good career move.

Instead, I have been trying in my spare time to create a model replica of the game’s software, so that I can maintain my pretend version while corporate America drives the original version into the ground. In my replica, I use the following decision pathway to solve the issue that you are facing (original is here [https://github.com/Retera/WarsmashModEngine/blob/69f8397d68f9ce9c07f23c78fecf16cd70237edd/core/src/com/etheller/warsmash/viewer5/handlers/w3x/ui/mapsetup/MapInfoPane.java#L161])

if (mapInfo.hasFlag(War3MapW3iFlags.HIDE_MINIMAP_IN_PREVIEW_SCREENS)) {
			minimapTexture = rootFrame.loadTexture("ui\\widgets\\glues\\minimap-unknown.blp");
		}
		else {
			try {
				minimapTexture = ImageUtils.getAnyExtensionTexture(map, "war3mapPreview.blp");
				if (minimapTexture != null) {
					this.lastUnmanagedTexture = minimapTexture;
				}
			}
			catch (final Exception exc) {
				minimapTexture = ImageUtils.getAnyExtensionTexture(map, "war3mapMap.blp");
				if (minimapTexture != null) {
					this.lastUnmanagedTexture = minimapTexture;
				}
			}
		}

In this case, I check the map data against a binary integer constant, wherein the constant definition looks like this:

public class War3MapW3iFlags {
	// definitions for these are based on what was found online located at:
	// wc3maps.com/InsideTheW3M.html
	public static final int HIDE_MINIMAP_IN_PREVIEW_SCREENS = 0x0001;
	public static final int MODIFY_ALLY_PRIORITIES = 0x0002;
	public static final int MELEE_MAP = 0x0004;
	public static final int PLAYABLE_MAP_SIZE_LARGE_AND_NEVER_REDUCED_TO_MEDIUM = 0x0008; // ? not sure

As you can see, in the model replica, the decision for whether to render the map this way is based on whether the binary bit 0x0001 is set in the map flag data, which is stored in an integer.

Unfortunately, the problem you are facing is not a technology problem. It is a society governance problem. The human beings that you have elected to be in charge, or who naturally acquired power in the society constructed by the people who were in charge, have ordered a society in which this function cannot be fixed on your computer by anyone alive, even though the solution is public information, documented in many places online.

Rather than to pay a programming intern to fix this problem, so that the game works as it did prior to the 2020 “update,” Microsoft has elected to invest quazillions of dollars into ChatGPT, which is a heuristic and probabilistic word barf generator that was made by the mistreatment of poor people in a third world country [source: https://time.com/6247678/openai-chatgpt-kenya-workers/]. One of the primary reasons to spend quazillions of dollars trying to obtain a technological leprechaun to solve all problems at once is because the heavy-set corporate managers are tired of technology problems like exactly the one that you are having. They don’t want to pay a low level employee to solve the problem, and they don’t want a problem, they just want a technology leprechaun to pop out with a pot of gold to magicallly solve the problem.

I don’t know how to solve the governance problem. My technological replica of how I think the game probably used to work doesn’t totally match the original. I asked my friend to play it. He quit in the middle to sleep. Maybe it was boring, because the missing features are worse than Reforged.

Ultimately you decided to use their version of the game instead of the one that I created and published the full source code for. So, in a world where a known solution to this problem exists, you decided to use the software that does not solve the problem. Maybe that means the problem is you… probably?

Edit 2:

As an example why we need a technology leprecaun, it turns out that everything I said above is entirely wrong, and I quoted you the wrong piece of code in the evening while writing this, because I only skimmed your post and haven’t been playing Reforged lately.

Per the stat you are actually referring to, my technology replica of the game is also broken, because I never bothered to implement this feature. We can see that here [https://github.com/Retera/WarsmashModEngine/blob/69f8397d68f9ce9c07f23c78fecf16cd70237edd/core/src/com/etheller/warsmash/viewer5/handlers/w3x/ui/MeleeUIMinimap.java#L83]. In that piece of code, in the MeleeUIMinimap class, I am using a simple loop and render that is inferior in design and performance when compared to the 2002 game. Mine is definitely worse. And in the simple loop, at the time of writing, whether to hide a unit with this stat from the minimap is not currently considered.

Of course, it still would not be difficult to fix.

1 Like