For those who want to play Classic Warcraft 3

THE OLD VERSION START WORK WHEN YOU REGISTER BOTH OLD GAMES AT BATTLENET ACCOUNT WITH CD KEYS!
had problems too but now i can play the old one with new patch.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s technically pirate if you bought it and have your original cd-key to activate it. Sharing installer (seeding) might be illegal in some countries, but it’s not a torrent. You aren’t technically sharing it when you download it from Mega.

I wish they just hosted original client. It’s part of history. They do themselves great disservice that way.

4 Likes

Anyone who had classic WC3 before the Reforged update, its looks like the classic game is left intact after the update is applied. For me the old launcher and files were left in place in the parent folder. I haven’t tried it on battle.net, but everything else works.

Classic (Version 1.30.0.9922) install location:
%Program Files (x86)%\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe

Reforged install location:
%Program Files (x86)%\Warcraft III\Warcraft III\

3 Likes

Doing gods work.

You my good man are a Hero.
Reforged is an insult to wc3’s fans and slap in the face.

If this gets removed we will reupload it all.

2 Likes

You really should mention that you must uninstall and never launch blizzard’s most recently Battlenet Launcher before doing any of this or that will constantly undo all your work to get the original game up and running because it’ll keep re-downloading over your WIII copy.

Can someone confirm this? Sounds way to good to be true!

Only if you hid or changed the folder, but only you run it, the update will begin immediately, for example, all my files from Warcraft3FT were automatically replaced with Reforged files.

Good thing that I still have 1.27b of the classic. Blizzard really needs to make up and do the right thing for the fans including me. 1st, remove the stupid policy. 2nd, redo the game again. 3rd, do what you were gonna do back in 2018. 4th, apologize in sincere to all the fans including me. 5th, bring back single custom maps and custom campaign in campaign mode. Last, fix the bugs and glitches in reforged. If not, well you will know that we mostly all of us will not support you Blizzard at all and I’m probably sure people will not be interested playing any new blizzard games that you are gonna release this year.

9 Likes

They will never do this. Not only would it be admitting that they spent years on a product that killed the community, they also don’t want the community split between two versions. Additionally, Blizzard will never let another game like DotA slip through their hands every again. Even if they did release the old client, the updated BNET rules would never get rolled back.

Honestly, customs wouldn’t be in jeopardy if Blizzard didn’t take ownership of your content. The same thing happened in Starcraft II. Crazy how they didn’t learn from their mistakes.

3 Likes

Could you imagine if they did this back in the day? Dota basically boils down to a game mode. It would be like a company claiming they owned “Capture The Flag”. Image how crappy multiplayer games would be if anytime a new mode was invented, that company strictly owned it. That’s what Blizzard’s policy is like, and it will kill creativity.

To OP, I think I might need to do a clean re-install of my copy… Even just installing Reforged messed my files up, even though I never launched it or updated WC3 Classic. Good thing I still have the discs.

OP mentioned trying a couple different spots for private servers/LAN servers, like GameRanger, Hamachi, WC3Connect, or whatever. Has anyone had success playing online on those? Which is the easiest to use/set up, and which has the most players? Just curious which one I should check out first.

So so so disappointed with this release. I got my refund for it, but just want my old WC3 back now.

3 Likes

Wow this is sad you have to do this for a game that should have been left alone or at people given the option to upgrade and not forced to.

What the heck.

That’s the reason why Warcraft 3’s customs scene was so amazing, because Blizzard didn’t take ownership of your content. That’s why there were so many custom map makers that went on to make their own games and genres. A good chunk of Warcraft 3’s charm is the fact that the game was so good and the engine so revolutionary that even a decade after its release people were still playing on it and making new games.

Me and some of my buds used to use GameRanger years ago. It worked pretty well but it had advertisements which was pretty annoying. Then there was Garena and Evolve which had some use, but I’m pretty sure Garena is either down or doesn’t support Warcraft 3 anymore. I talked to some people who are using Wc3Connect (1.30.1) and according to them there are games up with decent consistency.

I really wouldn’t worry to much about it right now. There is going to be an influx of people running older clients and playing over these services because Reforged just destroyed the community. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see groups of people get together and create new services for the sole purpose of playing Warcraft 3 online.

1 Like

This one especially ticked me off and made me refund. I know it seems like it’s small and pointless, but that’s also the point. They actually went in depth to change stuff instead of leaving things the way we like.

3 Likes

What is fun is that all of you poor masochistic creatures will still buy Diablo IV when it comes out and fill Blizzard’s pockets eventhough you know they are treating us like crap. You will buy it and you will scream “yess master, slap me some more”…

5 Likes

sad but true :smiley:

Hi there, it might be a stupid question but can you maybe get this done for the german version? We would like to play it at a lanparty soon, and we do have the CDs but I can’t get any patch after 1.27b. Anyway keep up the great post!

i have a retail copy and the patch 1.27b Ita, but there is a issue with widescreen.
There is some way for upload at least at the last xp patch 1.29.2?

Good looking out. I’ve been aching to play wc3 again and I’ve been holding out for reforged with high hopes. Luckily I’ve long since stopped preordering games.

With the garbage they tried to pull with this release, I’ve gone ahead and downloaded the classic, because I’m never financially backing Activision’s BS with this game. If I do get the game, it’s going to be long after I’ve already replayed through the classic for free, when it’s severely discounted, and from a site like g2a so that Activision never gets a dollar of mine. Might even pirate when a cracked version becomes available after years of not pirating anything anymore.

I swear these companies are competing for everyone’s hatred. I think it’s time for the old leaders in the gaming industry to rot away and for new companies to take the AAA reigns.

Edit: Removed Blizzard’s name in place of Activision. Blizzard doesn’t exist anymore.

I think you can change the language as long as you have a client below 1.27b (and have a cd key). Check this thread out. Change WC3 Language installation - #3 by multijet-2548

Unfortunately I don’t think you can use this method on any builds above 1.27b as this method requires you to reinstall the game. All versions need to be downloaded as a complete build due to not being able to patch past this point.