For all of you aspiring map makers

I didn’t preorder this game because… of course Blizzard doesn’t care about our enjoyment of the game or creating a community. They care about money.

Show us you’re better than that Blizzard.

what is even your point

I wonder if we host old WC3 maps does that give blizzard the rights to their contents and their original creator’s IP even though the original creators may not know their map is being hosted on here

This is honestly the most unacceptable part of the “reforge”. Sofar this has been my experience with this game.

1. Okay you aren’t going to flesh out the story or add new content for us to enjoy. Fine. I’ll try and move on, despite how this could have been an amazing refreshing new experience.

2. But then you aren’t going to even bother to remaster the CGI cutscenes? Well okay… I can live with that. At least we have new detailed models to take advantage of in the in game cutscenes!

3. Oh wait no… we got scammed. Those aren’t being redone like they promised in Blizzcon. Well at least we have the custom games to fall back to! We can make our own additions to the retelling of all the famous lore bits they didn’t bother to include themselves.

4. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah about that… no visiting lore events allowed. No copyrighted content from other franchises allowed. Basically no fun allowed.

2 Likes

Is any graphic design you make using Adobe Software owned by Adobe? Is anything you code using a Microsoft Operating System owned by them? Is anything you make using something like Unity owned by Unity?

Nope

7 Likes

What a disaster, thanks for ruining the legacy of this game

So you buy something that has editor included and you create with it. The company you bought that from is like “Hehe this is mine now”. Does anyone realize how bs this is.
Like I subscribe to Adobe and get Photoshop. I create something with Photoshop (some kind of painting). People like it, I want to sell prints of it, but Adobe comes along and says “well you created this with OUR program, soo now this painting belongs to us”.
Madness.

3 Likes

They didn’t lose dota, dota was never theirs. This is just a rly low greedy move, this company annoys me more and more everytime I hope they go bankrupt rly, such ammount of greed is disgusting.

1 Like

Morality has little to do when you’re trying to keep up a company with hundreds of employees who also have families to feed. Try not to be so close-minded and understand why we have property and IP laws. Otherwise, China is right over there waiting for you to immigrate to.

Well, only one of you is defending a company pandering to China…

For that argument to work moral bankruptcy would have to be the only valid method for a company to survive, something which I’m not entirely convinced of.

Normally I’d be a bit more civil, but this is pretty much the drop that made the bucket flow over.

The last few years we’ve seen Blizzard’s content backslide further and further and yet some people, including myself sadly, keep getting lured back in with great promises. I thought WoW Legion was okay, but BfA is in my opinion just horrendous. Diablo III eventually got fixed but if Blizzard took their time it could have been fine on release. SCII is decent, although the storytelling in the campaign went full anime after Wings of Liberty. Overwatch is the sole game which hasn’t disappointed the fans, and I’m certainly grateful for that. I’m also hoping Overwatch 2 will be great, and not like this trainwreck of a game.

Which brings me to the main point: WC3 Reforged actually manages to take the legacy that the Warcraft genre created and somehow make it worse. I can’t complain about the graphics, although units are very hard to distinguish when your whole screen is filled with them, and I’m massively disappointed that the CGI cutscenes weren’t remastered, but just made in HD. The additional story elements that were to be added from WoW were cut. The new voice acting was cut. The custom campaigns were cut. Any custom content you make is now Blizzard’s property. The list goes on and on…

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t consider myself a hardcore fan of the Warcraft franchise, but I’m heavily invested in it nonetheless, and to see how badly this remaster of a classic was handled makes me sad, as well as afraid that this won’t be the last time Blizzard will pull a stunt like this. I was already pretty hesitant to buy the new WoW Xpac, but seeing how this turned out I decided I won’t be throwing any more money to IPs that I don’t consider trustworthy, save for Overwatch 2 because the development team there are actually engaging with the fans and taking feedback to heart, as well as having an actual passion for the project they’re working on, unlike WC3 and WoW.

Vote with your wallets, people. If you want to show your displeasure about the way things are going, let the company feel it in its pockets and hope they will actually start investing into their own projects.

1 Like

I’m not defending Blizzard per se, I’m defending the legality of their decision and the structural economic system that’s allowed it to exist. Again, don’t misconstrue my argument, you’re free to boycott Blizzard without repercussions. I even encourage it, as I have refunded myself.

It’s merely impossible to bring morality into how you lead a successful company, remember the slogan “get woke go broke”? That’s because at a fundamental level companies that engage in moral or political issues end up shooting themselves in the foot. I don’t care what you support or who you donate to, as a company you exist to offer me a product and I judge you by how good that is.

At no point is Blizzard or any other company doing anything shady when they upfront tell you they own X, Y and Z. You agree to the EULA.

It’s true that companies which try to get involved in morality and politics tend to shoot themselves in the foot, although I think that’s often because the people at the top see it as a PR stunt rather than something they genuinely care about so they always go about it hamfisted.

That said in the case of laying claim to what you create using their tools I think that might actually fall in the realm of illegal activity, although I’m no lawyer and it could be that intellectual property functions a bit differently from how I imagine it.

confirmed: blizzard now owns pokemon maps.
confirmed: blizzard now has lord of the rings rights because they advertise lord of the rings custom games
confirmed: blizzard now owns Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, One Piece assets because they are in custom maps
Need I go on?

If I tell you upfront I’m going to give a piece of paper and whatever you draw on it, I’ll end up owning and you AGREE to these terms in writing you have NO LEGAL ground to stand on when that exact same thing happens.

Look, you have to take responsibility. I dearly hope all the mapmakers decide to just not make maps for Blizzard. The only thing Blizzard is doing with this legal agreement is ensure nobody who is worth their salt will invest time to create a fun custom map on their engine.

That’s why capitalism works. It’s self correcting and the moral outrage, while warranted, isn’t necessarily what’s wrong with the legal decision made by company X.

Do you know how many times we sent emails to the support asking for “can you please make DotA” a standard wc3 map?
And I’m talking about the old RoC DotA, many many years ago…
All we received was a pre-made text “We don’t support custom maps”.
Not even the chance to talk about it and explain “hey, this game has a future…”
You can still create all the maps you want and play them on Lan… for as large as your Lan can be… and we all know that WC3 editor is powerful enough to create the next AAA game, for whatever it will be. It will just probably branded with another name^^

And? What will they do about it? You can have a patreon and make money off your map’s work, unless Blizzard decides to go after that. If they do that, they look even worse with their public image. If they decide to steal your map idea and make a full fledged game out of it, their public image hits rock bottom. Who wants to be known as the “thief” company? Stop and think, this isn’t as disastrous as you make it out to be.

Someone should go tell Nintendo that Blizzard is using their IP and start a legal action by Nintendo against blizzard because Nintendo turns into satan when you use their IP without permission.