Download Warcraft 3 (old classic version)

Hello,

How can I download the classic version of Warcraft 3 (not reforged) ?

I have imported my CD keys [RoC and FT] in my Battle.net account, the games appear in the list, but when I follow the download link (*), I get a reforged download. I would like the old classic version.

(*) Download link for Frozen Throne accessible from my account (here the french version of the page): https://eu.battle.net/support/fr/article/256212?flowTrackingId=9c58cf04-32a7-41e8-8749-25df2c1f2d64

Thank you

The official Activision employees will not help you with this objective. You say you “would like” the old classic version. They would like that you not download it.

However, for the past few years there has been a download of the thing you want available from the official servers (which is better than downloading bootleg online from a computer security perspective). The fans (and not the corporation) provide a link to that here:

When I used this download maybe two or so years ago – in 2022ish after the release of the Reforged – I was able to play the Frozen Throne game using my CD keys. Essentially it downloads an installer, asks you for the CD keys, and then the installer shows glitched and broken HTML game preview information while installing, but then it puts the game on the computer like you are asking.

Note that although Frozen Throne works perfectly on Windows 10 and Windows 11, there is a bug that if the computer has previously run the Reforged World Editor then the Reforged has modified your Windows Registry so that the old World Editor of the old legacy Warcraft III client will not run. Often there is not a meaningful error message, and instead the World Editor will not launch at all.

This error is not an incompatibility with modern Windows. It is the result of the Reforged software tampering with the computer registry. Because of this, there are guides online for how to put back the registry, giving you full access to the legacy client. [We have a former Reforged dev who no longer works for Activision to thank for the information about which registry keys to remove.]

But, if you never ran Reforged on the computer, or if you are not interested in World Editor, you will not have that problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.