Could Reforged be a surprise megahit?

Lots of us longtime Blizzard RTS fans have been waiting “with baited breath” for this game for a long time. Anyone who peruses these forums already knows there’s a fair amount of old skool fanbois like me, in on the preorder already. And I can basically guarantee there will be a fair amount of younger, new Blizzard fans who take a first time peek at the game as well and boost those sales numbers. That, plus, the highly favorable reviews the media gave this game on announcement bodes well for the financial success of this game.

But I’m curious if you guys think there’s any chance for Warcraft 3: Reforged to be a surprise industry hit, like selling even more than just a couple million copies?

This game seems to have everything it needs to be lightning in a bottle- longtime hardcore fans, millions of new Blizzard fans who will see this thing on the app launcher, happy journalists, potential for multiplayer E-Sports exposure on Twitch, and there’s not much competition out there in the AAA RTS genre these days.

So you can easily count on one or two million in sales as automatic- but do you guys think there’s a chance this thing could exceed sales expectations and maybe pop 5 million copies sold? The potential truly is there, I believe.
In that event, this upcoming remake could pave the way for greenlighting a big budget Warcraft 4, which is the game I most badly want to play in the entire universe.

What do you folks think? Will it be a casual financial success for old timer fanbois and a few new looky-loos, or does this game have a chance to be a smash hit and sell ubermillions of copies?

15 Likes

It’s definitely going to put a lot of eyes back onto Warcraft 3 in general and I’m really curious as to what extent and for how long.

14 Likes

i’d honnestly love that warcraft 3 get it’s deserved success.

9 Likes

I think the biggest issue for it becoming a huge hit is that RTS’ aren’t popular in the west, and WC3 was never popular in the east. I’m hoping it’ll get big enough to encourage devs to make more games in the warcraft universe. Don’t know if we can hope fore more than that.

SC2 was pretty successful for an RTS game, and it’s been a while since we got a new RTS title, so I have hopes that his game will be a hit. At least to some extent. There’s already a lot of old fans and the community is very much alive, considering it’s a 16-year-old game. My fingers are crossed.

7 Likes

Ye that would be nice blizz create some fan maps. I am not sure if that confronts with their laws…

And about wc3 never been popular at east side of flat earth, never forget China, thats not true m8

I don’t think it will ever do 5 millions copies, maybe 3 on the first year, it will sell well, but i don’t think that it will be this huge uber success, RTS are pratically not existant for casuals anymore, even StarCraft 2 did sell like 6 millions copies with Wings of Liberty (not counting the two expansions) and it was back on 2010, when RTS saw their last sparks of popularity… Plus this is a semi remaster, not even close, marketed or high quality of that f-ing beast called Resident Evil 2 Remake (go-amnit the demo alone was amazing).

1 Like

What do you mean? It’s Russia, Korea and mainly China that keep WC3 alive today.

On the topic, I doubt WC3:R will be a particular success. Too many people don’t even know that Warcraft is a real-time strategy game (and not an MMO). Hell, too many don’t even know the RTS genre exists. Too many don’t even have PCs.

1 Like

I’d say if it sells anywhere near a million copies, it’s a massive success!

It’s an old game so I doubt so, but it looks better than Starcraft Remaster already. According to google trends, there were 2x more searches for reforged than starcraft remastered on the date of their announcements.

5 Likes

Let’s hope so. I would love to see W3R becoming a big success. Not only because it would make more investments in this game possible, but also because a good reason to remaster more games like Diablo 2.

5 Likes

If every player in China who played pirated WC3 had paid for the authorised edition, WC4 would have been available at least 10 years ago.Blame the poor pocketbook of previous Chinese players and the Chinese agents who cheated blizzard and Chinese players

6 Likes

if they make “Arcade” and Customs as emphasized as they are in SC2, yes it will be a money maker.

If they rely on the Competetive scene and ladder only, no it will not. RTS games are stressful for today’s gamers.

1 Like

Can you play WC3 on netease without a valid cd-key? If so, it’s really dumb if Blizzard isn’t profiting from this. It’s not like free to play games that make a lot of money don’t exist…

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. Netease offers both 1.27 and 1.30.1 versions of wc3 for chinese players, and these games are available for online play.But you can’t run the 1.30 version of wc3 provided by netease offline unless you have a cdkey.I have not installed the foreign language version of netease platform, so I do not know whether the situation will be different.You may not know much about the history of single-player gaming in China. Previously, free and cheap pirated console games were ubiquitous in China, and even Shanghai ubisoft, which introduced the most console games to the country, tried to keep the prices of legitimate games as low as possible. Few Chinese gamers could afford to buy a legitimate game.The poor environment made many Chinese players think that single-player games should be free.Thanks to this environment, WC3 was once very popular in China. If you had bought a computer in China, it would have been installed with wc3. If you went to any Internet cafe at the time, almost all the players there were playing WC3 via LAN and battle platforms.It’s hard to find pirated games in China these days. I heard that WC3R has been pre-sold, many Chinese players want to compensate blizzard by pre-purchasing. Some people hear that pre-orders blizzard diablo wc3 WC3R foreign server can obtain the original, but the way blizzard account to verify that the ladder for players rather than the way to send the original CDKEY, that would make the Chinese players are very afflictive, because they have to find to use VPN to updating the game, but in China, it’s hard to find the last available VPN to break through the government set up the network wall, so they can only give up this gift to play Netease free version 1.30 has been updated well.

2 Likes

I hope they will make something better than just a regular warcraft with better graphic and textures.
I hope they make something huuuuge where old players could compete with new ones who takes reforged as new fresh game where will be plenty of things to explore and to achieve.

I have already bought refored and I know Blizzard will not dissapoint me.

really looking forward to play Warcraft : Reforged.

3 Likes

Interesting, although i’m skeptical about people buying reforged to make up for the years they’ve played for free. Reading your post, a free to play game with micro transactions seems like the way to go in terms of business in china since they are so used to free pirated games.

1 Like

I am kinda dissapointment… When warcraft was free ? Or what do you mean ?

1 Like

It’s not the same as it used to be, but thanks to platforms like steam and uplay that sell legitimate games, more and more Chinese players are willing to pay for legitimate games.
Even if they want to play pirated PC games, it is hard for them to find download sites.Unfortunately, most of the players who used to play pirated wc3 games have now switched to the current popular games. It is impossible to expect compensation from them, and the current blizzard is not the same as the previous blizzard.I said so much is just feeling the fact that both sides can not save it.

2 Likes

Do you remember I said before that there was an agent who cheated blizzard and Chinese players? That agent is not the current netease, but the former “ogilvy electronics”. I do not know its official English name, let me call him so.Ogilvy, who was blizzard’s sole agent in China at the time, made a huge mistake by selling the same legitimate cdkey to multiple players. This move undoubtedly angered the Chinese players and blizzard. Can you feel what it’s like to spend so much money on a legitimate game in an era when access to video games is a luxury and happiness? This is one of the main reasons why so many Chinese players are playing the free pirated version of wc3.If you bought the effective cdkey of ogilvy electron, congratulations, you can go and buy lottery ticket with such good luck.
Of course, not only wc3, ogilvy also sold many of the most famous single-player games of the time, such as diablo ii, starcraft 1, half-life 1, counter-strike, etc. The legitimate cdkey of blizzard and Valve games was sold in the same way as wc3.Fortunately, the company soon went bankrupt.

2 Likes