Being brainless fan of old lore is stupid

“Rise of the Lich King” is far more emotional than whole RoC and TFT,the scourge is trully horrofying,you can actually feel how massive the Genocide of High elves actually is,how deep down inside Arthas is confused by his own actions but he fights it again and again.You can see true character development in each person,you can feel their relationship,you can understand what was Arthas feeling when he Purged the city…You are really sorry for the people that was killed,and you can really feel why picking Frostmourne was the only way to defeat Mal’ganis

3 Likes

I don’t think that sort of thing is important for an RTS game.

Besides, if you need to read people’s thoughts to feel empathy for them I feel sorry for you.

“that sort of thing” is important for the storytelling and Character development
When you are killing people and ruining whole capitals - you don’t feel empathy because you can’t trully understand the whole pain that Character feels. For you - the whole point of the story doesn’t matter

1 Like

Doesn’t matter if it’s RTS,MMO,Movie or the Novel - Character development is what every good story needs - you need to know the person behind the character

2 Likes

That’s not important for an RTS game. Or any game, really.

Lucky for you that novel’s not going anywhere. Go read that if you want to feel sorry for Silvermoon. Leave the rest of us to actually enjoy the damn game.

What if part of people’s enjoyment of the game stems from a well done narrative (both in what the beats are, how they’re executed, and by/with/involving who)?

You know. The campaign.

2 Likes

Why you think that the story in plot game doesn’t matter and not important? That’s literraly what every good story has - Deep,detailed universe and emotional characters

2 Likes

Then more power to them. But I’d have to call them masochists if they think being forced to regret what they’re doing in that game is somehow fun.

The point of games is to have fun, after all, and I don’t think I’ll enjoy being the bad guy if I’m made to feel sorry for the people I just slaughtered.

I don’t think you will enjoy a good chunk of Reign of Chaos’ campaign, then.

2 Likes

I think you’d be wrong, then, because I enjoy it just fine as it is.

That’s the whole point of entertaiment - you here not only to have fun,but you here also for emotions,good,bad,sad,angry,fun…You here for a good story

2 Likes

The story’s good enough as it is. You can’t improve it, not without making the game not fun.

Sorry, bud, but the game being fun is more important.

I just REALLY don’t want modern Blizzard writing in the game. Modern Blizzard couldn’t write a good story if they tried.

1 Like

If the story wants you too feel like a bad guy - than you need to feel what it means.Being bad guy makes you powerful badass,but you’re also doing a lot of terrible things - It depends on you will you enjoy the killing either way,or you’ll be confused just like the Arthas was

1 Like

So why are you having a back-and-forth with МракоРыцарь over something that you both enjoy? Warcraft 3 was one of the more in-depth campaigns/stories Blizzard’s told at the time and clearly the world, events, and characters were all remarkably important and interesting.

Could’ve just stuck with this instead of the (funny) statement of “depth is not important”.

3 Likes

No, you don’t. Not when it’s a game.

And if you really need that sh*t shoved down your throat in order to feel anything I really feel sorry for you.

The events around the Culling clearly paint that mission as a not-quite-the-best-thing-to-be-doing and then the entire Scourge campaign is you desolating a huge portion of a continent.

It is very clearly trying to paint with the “you are a bad guy” brush as a narrative turn of not being the hero anymore.

2 Likes

And what the Russian dude is calling for is even more hamfisted, in-your-face confirmation of something that you already know.

I don’t know how to tell you this but Warcraft has always been kinda hammy. Modern portrayals moreso but. It’s not out of place.

1 Like

Let me give you an exsample - When you are watching Star Wars - you here mostly for cool lightsaber fights and the basic story of good and bad - but when a good character starts killing children and his own master - you;re realized that it’s bad,you know that the character is doing a terrible thing and you may feel sorry for him

2 Likes

With all due respect, games now is an art. The story of Warcraft 3 is built on interesting characters with complex characters who go through serious trials and change as the story progresses. Without the characters and their development, the story would not be half as interesting. In 2002, the level of study and immersion in the atmosphere that was shown in the original game was excellent, but with the current level of technological development, all this can be done even deeper and more interesting.
Producing a Warcraft 3 story to make it “fun” is an insult to the original game. The story of Arthas and Jaina, Uther, Terenas, Lordaeron, and Quel’Thalas is not “fun.” This is a tragedy.

2 Likes