A request to restore the Warcraft 3 Classic

There are ways to prevent the game from connecting to the internet even if you tried to press it.

Adding the game’s executable to your firewall’s block list would do the trick. Editing the hosts file would also work (I personally did both).

I discovered that if you don’t launch the game, not only it doesn’t connect to internet, but all these problems go magically away^^

I think you made the mistake of downloading it directly over their download website because if click there on RoC it only downloads the setup for Refunded.
Instead you need to download it directly over their client download which the user Sorsha whas so friendly to collect and sort in this thread:

classic W3 isn’t supposed to update unless you connect to bnet, so idk man

Classic game installers have to be downloaded from your account page which has a classic CD key registered. If you install classic War3, it should not update unless you connect to battle.net. The game is not online and doesnt care about your internet connection unless you do so.

Battle.net still provides the classic installers, there’s no need for any external third party links.

I got the disc so downloading is of no concern. I only care about the patches. I have only ever been able to patch to 1.27b before reforge is force patched. the main patches I mainly care about are the ones that added up to 24 players. I forget if that was 1.29 or higher. if there is a way to get those patches than I will gladly download them

1 Like

This is the only Backup of WC III beyond 1.27 that is not automatically turn into Reforged.
But it has the problem of not really be suited to play anything except in english.

Well i’m gonna quit soon and then i’ll go back to age of Mytholegy

I know what you mean. I only hope the deal with Microsoft goes through and the FED stay the hell out of it. Maybe Microsoft will do what blizzard could not. Or maybe they won’t.

I heard an interview on YouTube where someone interviewed an artist who worked at Blizzard and authored art and stuff in War3 and was there from the 1990s until two years ago. In this interview, the interviewer asks the interviewee if there’s hope that Microsoft will fix everything.

This guy who helped make brood war units and War3 units and stuff all the way into even some overwatch skins, he just basically was surprised by the interviewer and asked them for any examples when Microsoft made anything better. Even the hopeful interviewer could not think of any. If we think of other things Microsoft purchased like Minecraft or Skype, they did not really get any better. Seems like this theory of Microsoft making anything better might be echo chamber nonsense. Do not simply tell yourself what you want to hear; instead, seek truth.

At the same time, the artist being interviewed said that at times he kept a picture of his favorite prawn star on the door at Blizzard, danced around the office with a toy spaceship, broke the WoW beta while it was being developed to access incomplete dungeons and got reprimanded, parked his car in the fire safety lane and played Everquest at work until 2 am then slept all day in office, and even when asked about cube crawls he openly laughed and said it was something he enjoyed greatly.

So, while he sounded believable maybe it was also not a totally good person that I was listening to being interviewed.

2 Likes

Uhhh, this didn’t happen until Reforged I thought?

1 Like

People don’t seem to agree on what is and is not “Reforged.” Prior to Reforged, the Reforged team released a bunch of patches adding the Reforged features to the original classic game. I guess it’s up to you to decide whether that’s “Reforged” or not.

1 Like

I admit, prior to the beta, I hadn’t been playing actively, nor had the original game installed, so I don’t know for sure.

I suppose it gave time for map makers to start creating/updating maps with the new editor features.

Yeah. It also helps a lot because then all the players who believe that they are rebelling against Reforged and playing the classic version bootleg can still have lots of better Reforged features that were never a part of Frozen Throne, sometimes without even admitting that to themselves. People really want to hate Blizzard these days, plus the newer Reforged menu is actually measurably inferior in terms of QoL user features.

So there are a lot of these people playing the technology developed by the Reforged team to be a part of Reforged, and also believing that they’re anti Reforged and anti Blizzard. It’s great. People are only interested in what benefits them like that. It helps teach the Blizzard developers to hate the playerbase more, and move on to make the mobile games that will actually be profitable. The developers blame the fans and the fans blame the developers; everyone hates everyone in perfect harmony.

Edit: The winner is, of course, the social media companies whose platforms everyone uses to take to the internet and rant against each other. It is almost as if these giant companies with intricate knowledge of the personal lives (of the fans and the developers both!) planned it all in advance by using their incredible data collection to calculate how to obtain the future where the most number of people spent time using the internet communication programs! Isn’t it fascinating?

I would not trust an interviewee. One based on what he said he “did at blizzard”, very subspinous in my most honest opinion. Second reason I won’t trust it, depending on how the interviewee left the company, they could be claiming that just to cause concern, and again in my honest opinion conflict with the Microsoft, Activision Blizzard deal.

However, I was raised to always question everything you read and hear, Validate every story with direct sources if possible. If not Try to find the story told by others, if there are any inconsistencies than you know if someone is lying or making up crap. The Truth does not change in detail. Lies only get bigger and more unbelievable the more they are told.

In this case as it is the interviewee opinion, so I take it with a grain of salt. One I don’t know who the interviewee is. Two, I don’t know how he left the company. Three, his comments of what he did while at the company already turn me off to anything he says. Someone who does not take their job seriously is not someone I would trust.

1 Like

The only reason I asked is because most of my friends and players on our discord don’t play reforge multiplayer. even when we are less than maybe 20 feet from our router and hard wired to it reforge still has lag. we got the best internet for streaming, and it does not lose a beat when 2 out of 4 of us are streaming, but the moment one or two of us start playing reforge it is like are router is having a heart attack.

So, we play reforge offline for single player but use the lan which still seems to work (I thought blizz was going to get rid of it) to play multiplayer. If reforge did not have the lag I don’t think we would be using the old version

I like some of the graphics of reforge hell I would play it more, but the lag kills it. I would have loved for more of the maps to represent the places and zones they were supposed to from World of Warcraft. I love to have Skin packs for Units, Buildings, Heroes, and Spells, all themed on various factions. First and Second War Horde and Alliance, High Elf, Blood Elf, Void Elf (alliance), Dwarf Clans, Fel Ocs, Iron Horde, Draenor Orc Clans, Shal’dorei, Kaldorei, and Warden. and the list goes on. to give every player a chance to play the race they want but also have multiple different looking units and building for every player to choose from the collections. Kind of like starcraft 2. However, considering blizz stopped updates on SC2 I never be able to finish my Classic Building and Unit Skins that would have been nice to see in SC2

1 Like

Indeed. In this case I would love to see something like a complete video of an interview of some known employee at Blizzard who also used to work at Microsoft in the past. Specifically someone in a project lead capacity or another major role. That would be a good indicator about any expectations regarding the prospects regarding Microsoft’s acquisition.

1 Like

I mean they done a pretty good job with current remasters of Age of Empires. I don’t think it is too far to see them attempt to fix or even remake Warcraft 3 from the ground up. Reforge might cost more to fix certain issues than to just roll back the old game (if possible) and make a new Reforge from the ground up.

Ultimately the deciding factors will be How much will reforge cost to fix the current issues, and with the player base (not a lot from what I heard and read) split with those who hate it and those who feel its ok, will they get a return on it. If the Answer is player base is not in favor of Reforge, and it will cost more to fix than making it from scratch. THEN maybe they announce their plan for Warcraft 3, roll back the old game, take down Reforge and begin development of a new version of Reforge.

To simplify it. It comes down to Money.

I don’t know all the issues that reforge has only the ones I noticed but from what I have read it’s a long list. and considering the last official patch post was back in October 2020 a full year has gone by with not substantial updates to fix issues like lag. It might cost more to fix than to just remake from scratch. If you leave a program/game alone that has small issues for too long slowly the issues start to multiply and get bigger.

1 Like

The fact is that Microsoft kept more or less the same standard since Windows 95. I mean, there are things that work, things that don’t and things that you can find a workaround to fix by yourself. Microsoft is Microsoft. Instead, Blizzard WAS Blizzard.
If Reforged was made by Microsoft in the beginning we probably already had a way to connect to the old Battlenet, use the old menu, some way to trick the register to just download the needed assets and even run it on linux^^

1 Like

true. I don’t have hope for any fixes, but then again, the future is unwritten Microsoft could end up surprising us. Like i said if the lag and possible disconnects were not a thing I had to deal with when playing online, I would play it more often. Fact is they are and there is no fix in site for it. Blizz has abandoned the game but have not shut down the servers or anything like that. Likely because they know the backlash from all the issues for past what year or 2 will pale in comparison to shutting the game down. They probably have a plan in the works that has been discussed with Microsoft, but they want it kept under wraps.

I quit playing cause of that. There were no possible solution since they removed the normal hosting this game relied on for 20 years…

Probably if they did it and just set up a server for advertising games we would have had far more players now…