26 gigabytes

Depends on if the CASC local storage gets verified. When it is verified it will detect these corrupt or missing files and re-download them.

The battlenet app works like this but I’m not sure if I can see the same messages while being in game. I guess it doesn’t…

Last time I have tried it got verified, but it was very long ago… maybe try again…
It really depends on how the integrity check is done and what it does compare to.

The integrity check uses hashes and checksums derived from file data. If it checks these of files it does not have to load is another question, so it might just ignore files missing from the CASC local storage as long as they never get accessed. If there were to be accessed then it might detect the file is corrupt or missing.

So it doesn’t check file groups size or number and stuff like that?

The local storage data files are not deterministic and depend on the order updates get installed in. This is why clean installs often end up smaller than ones with many updates where fragmentation might waste some space. The only way it can know that the data is truly missing is to try and read the file, and fail, since all steps before then could contain genuine information for the file with just the content of the file missing or replaced. It clearly does not evaluate the content of all files outside of a manually started check due to how much I/O and CPU power this takes. As such it likely only checks the files that are loaded, since then the I/O is needed anyway and determining if the file is fine would make sense from a robustness point of view.

Checking what’s additionally in there could also make sense^^

28GB is no more today than 2-3 GB was when WC3 came out. storage device sizes have exploded since that time.

Mechanical drive storage sizes have not increase by that many orders of magnitude, and with the move to SSDs there has even been some regression in average storage capacity. Additionally Warcraft III being an older game there are still a lot of players running it on old hardware, especially in poorer countries where the people cannot afford hardware capable of modern games (usually second hand or surplus). Many people complain about it purely from the download perspective since they might not currently have access to internet faster than 50 kb/sec in which case downloading Warcraft III takes nearly 7 days instead of under 1.

Uh, yes, they have. Hard drives were in the tens to few hundreds of GB and now most storage devices have at least a TB if not several.

By the way, i was talking about one order of magnitude, and that is accurate.
It is no exaggeration to say that storage devices available today are 10 times or more larger than they were when WC3 came out. Which is wh at going from 2-3 GB to 20-30 would be like.

And they have increased size to store more. You store more pictures because the size of the hard drive is proportionally bigger than the increase of the compressed file for a bigger image. So we are talking about derivatives.
Now, if a game increases its size by 1300% it is clearly worse compared to the enhancement of hard drives.
Now you can start to argue about the small % of a better or worse increase
or
realize that 92% of the game is a total waste of space that you will never use.
that is, on a 1TB hd 2.4% that you throw away.
If you keep this mindset, you admit, by induction that having 20 programs on your HD is a good justification to throw your space away for reasons that you don’t need.
Got it?
You can also express all this as “They f***** up the game because it’s just a waste of space”, the message will probably be delivered in a easier way, since they could not comprehend the logic of the first one.

3 Likes

Which is only 1 or 2 order of magnitude at most. Some of this is lost due to the move to SSDs. As such it is fairly common for people to have drives for games that are only 512 GB odd and they may intend to have multiple games installed on it.

1 Like

Would be nice but will not happen. StarCraft players wished that Anthology would the be only the smale Brood War that fits on an USB stick but sadly there they where required to install the big version. My only solution is downloading the original version: Classic Warcraft III --- Official Installers - Official Patches

1 Like

then by all means you buy those storage devices for everyone who’s against the wasted space

1 Like

Yeah, and going from a couple gigs to 20-30 is also one order of magnitude. My approximation is correct. What’s your point? And to the person who liked that post, do you realize my statement was in fact correct?

And the SSD argument is also flawed. SSDs have come down ridiculously in price and many PCs today have them, and they are also available in multiple TB worth of space.

Also, th at space is not “wasted.” You can still use all the hi res assets in the world editor even if you don’t own reforged, allowing you to make compatible maps.

Should they have made it an option? Probably. But I’m simply attacking the argument that 20+ GB is some huge amount of space today when it really isn’t, tons of games these days take more.

It is also an issue of cost. As I already mentioned…

A lot of people have complained that they cannot afford the space Reforged takes up, especially since they will be playing with Classic graphics anyway. Yes storage is cheaper than it was ever before, but for people who have to live on a few dollars a day it is a big deal.

2 Likes

A very good comment, i’ll also add that, having a light-wight version of the game, only containing the Classic assets will go a long way in making sure that old school “Feature” of warcraft 3 that was just a really light portable game and can be taken anywhere and used on basic to low tier laptops and containing endless amount of fun is preserved.

========

And to any of the nay sayers, its practically a very easy system to create for Blizzard, especially when they have past experiences with doing this. and it can relieve people of trouble. i know at the very least 12 people in my immediate friends list who would be overjoyed by something that is very easily achievable from Blizzards side.

I get the feeling some people are just oblivious to the conditions of others, or just want to flex on people with their X TB SSD cards. the issue doesn’t affect them even slightly, yet they feel the need to interrupt in saying its not an issue for them. and for what ? you think this is some hard thing to make available that is worth putting on a low priority ? no, you fail in that argument to, its easy and Blizzard has past experience doing it.

I have liked his comment, because DrSuperGood showed many times to have a knowledge of the game and hardware in general that goes far beyond the one of the average user.

Do you realize that a compatible map is based on code and not on graphic, right? You can make compatible maps without even using WC3…

That shouldn’t even be and option. That was a straightforward requirement.

Flawless logic… -.-

And btw, respect DrSuperGood when he’s talking about hardware.

Again, I do support making this an option. But given the time that has elapsed since the original release, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal for most, and I’m sure that’s the calculation that the team made at the time that they were working on this.

The good news is that it appears they aren’t making that mistake again with D2, as the hi res game client will be separated.

As an aside, if you have a concern about connections and download speeds, well the US isn’t exactly the world leader in that department, and so isn’t the worst baseline.

I still have the retail Warcraft III Chest box.
I bought mine at BestBuy :slight_smile:

1 Like

For real. I just want to play the old game. That’s it. Why do I need to waste my computer’s storage which I already struggle to maintain on a game that came out in 2002?? This is plain ridiculous.

1 Like