1.31.0 Patch Notes

What does it mean? What bones?

In animation, parts of models are animated/moved with the help of bones. So instead of having to move 1000 triangles that comprise an arm, you only need to animate/move 2 joints and 3 bones to successfully wave your unit’s main hand.
(Alternatively they could mean corpses but that’d be under gameplay/editor.)

1 Like

Note: I already posted this but in the old thread.

PTR 1.31 vs Patch 1.31 differences (compared by 3ICE):

New introduction line
Greetings Raiders, Tinkerers, Harbingers, and Wardens,
changed to:
Hail Warchiefs, Lichs, Commanders, and Keepers,

additions (add):
This is our last major patch prior to Reforged. In addition to sweeping enhancements to World Editor, it contains major updates to the rendering technology, and we’ve been making significant server patches in parallel.

add: Progress isn’t without its compromises. The team did their damnedest to get Arranged Teams working within the legacy system. We’ve made strides to that end, but were unhappy with the experience. We decided it was more important to get this behemoth of a patch out the door then continue to delay. That means AT will return with Reforged, not before.

comment: R.I.P. AT players! This core feature will remain disabled for months I’m sure. (“return with Reforged, not before”)

add: We deeply appreciate those of you playing on ladder, in custom games, and creating new maps. One day we’ll look back at these moments in the crucible of change ruefully, but until then your passion fuels us. The march toward Reforged continues.

removals (rm):
We’ve finally landed 1.31. Asian and European Public Test Realms now available - tell your friends:
rm: (look for Warcraft® III Public Test Realm toward the bottom of the page)

SPECIFIC CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS
rm: Expanded supported window modes in Options
comment: The modes themselves are not changed, just this one sentence got deleted.

add: Metal API
change: Integrated Direct3D 11 graphics API
to (-s): Integrated Direct3D 11 and Metal graphic APIs

add: Mac64
change: Added 64 bit support for Windows
to (+mac): Added 64 bit support for Windows and Mac

rm: in -nativefullscr
from end of: Sounds are disabled when the client is not active
comment: So now they’re always disabled if you minimize/alt+tab.

add: Dropped 32 bit support for Mac
comment: technically this is a rm of Mac32, but the support being removed line was added in the patch notes

rm a “the”: See the World Editor section for…
changed to: See World Editor Updates for…
comment: also added the word “Updates”

changed “the Competitive section for balance” to “Balance Updates for multiplayer”
rm: Join the fray over in the Competitive section for balance and map pool changes
add: Join the fray over in Balance Updates for multiplayer and map pool changes

HUGE ADDITION:
Battle,net disabled for Reign of Chaos
add: Dev Comment: We’ve been encountering non-trivial issues connecting players over Battle,net as we unify the game client - a prime example being disconnects caused by erroneous matches between Chaos and Throne. Custom maps created with RoC data are still playable, this affects melee only. A major benefit to this change is players who owned Reign of Chaos only now have The Frozen Throne.

comment: R.I.P. RoC, R.I.P. all my RoC-only maps, R.I.P. tower creeping. R.I.P. everything RoC!

BUG FIXES
add: Triggers won’t be lost during saves (Thank you, Bribe)
add: 256 bones are available (Thank you, Retera)
add: Movement speed and attack speed data labels are no longer reversed for Envenomed Spear in the editor
add: Disease Cloud will now stack properly when using custom buff data
add: Runed Bracer’s tooltip now accurately describes that it reduces spell damage, not magic damage

KNOWN ISSUES
rm: This PTR does not support Mac
rm: Setting texture quality to low may result in a crash
rm: The map preview window has been temporarily removed

COMMAND LINE CHANGES
comment: no change in this section

WORLD EDITOR became WORLD EDITOR UPDATES

rm: DISCLAIMER: MAPS CREATED WITH PTR BUILD WILL NOT WORK ON LIVE

rm: You can now manipulate the map structure very easily
add: The map structure can now be updated

rm: a MPQ.
add: an MPQ.

add: Items have a new field, Stock Initial After Start Delay.
add: This allows mapmakers to specify how much of an item starts in stock on a shop if it has an initial start delay.

COMPETITIVE UPDATES became BALANCE UPDATES

comment: mv = moved elsewhere, also slight changes to wording.
mv: Devour can now target Mountain Giants without Resistant Skin
mv: Paladins equipped with an orb item no longer have a slower attack speed when attacking air units
mv: Ultravision upgrade is now applied to Mountain Giants, Spirits of Vengeance, and Avatars of Vengeance

rm section: Hero Balance Changes
comment: All content was moved to the specific races (/neutral), changes will be detailed there

Orc Balance Changes became ORC

add: Kodo Beast
add: Devour can target Mountain Giants without Resistant Skin
comment: Just a move, not new since the PTR

Spiked Barricades
dev comment changed:
rm: partly due to how long the upgrade takes to become effective and that it does not scale with high tech melee units.

Human Balance Changes became HUMAN
add: Paladin
add: Equipping Orbs no longer slows attack speed when attacking air units

comment: above is not a change other than wording and placement.

add: Control Magic
add: Additional mana cost up from 35% to 45%

add: Dev comment: We had reduced the additional mana cost of this ability to promote its usage, but it ended up inhibiting more strategies than it promoted.

Orb of Fire
rm: Bonus Damage reduced from 10 to 5
add: Bonus Damage reduced from 10 to 7
comment: 5 became 7

New effect:
comment: wording changed slightly:
rm: “On hit applies a debuff that…”
rest of the sentence is the same except for numbers:
duration was specified as “for 3 seconds” instead of “Debuff lasts 3 seconds”
new value: 50% became 35%

Dev comment:
rm: directly from in front of benefit, spell from in front of casters
rm: many of Human’s potential late game unit combinations
add: late game unit combinations
rm: While this debuff is most easily applied by a ranged attack hero, it should also be very helpful on melee ones as well since its effectiveness is not determined by the raw stats of the unit holding it. As this is quite a large departure from the previous Orb of Fire changes to this item are likely.
add: Its effectiveness is not determined by a unit’s raw stats, so it should be viable for ranged and melee heroes.

Night Elf Balance Changes became NIGHT ELF

comment: They moved a sentence here, only change in it was “Ultravision upgrade” became just “Ultravision”.

Two additions: DH and DotC
Demon Hunter
Mana Burn

• Mana cost reduced from 60 to 50 across all levels

Dev Comment: While part of the lower usage of DH is due to the popularity of Keeper, we also agreed with feedback that the increased cost of Mana Burn was a factor.

Druid of the Claw
Base Stats

• Minimum damage in bear form increased from 22 to 23

Dev comment: Prior nerfs were in response to feedback that Druids of the Claw were… overbearing… at Tier 3. They stopped mauling structures as badly, but their role became fuzzy with the preeminence of Mountain Giants. This is a small change - Night Elf has been doing well at a high level lately - but is intended to sweeten the honey pot when you decide to feed these beasts.
Glaive Thrower
Vorpal Glaives Upgrade
change: increased projectile speed, from 2400 to 2000 (was 1400 before)

Dev comment changed:
rm: We looked into solving the issue of Glaive Throwers with Vorpal Glaives upgrade always doing full damage to their target by making its projectile homing. After feedback and testing this solution is being shelved. Instead we will change the upgrade to increase the projectile speed of the Glaive while allowing it to still ‘miss’ the its target similar to other siege weapons. This leans into the Glaive Thrower’s personality of being a high velocity siege weapon while fixing the bug.
add: We were not happy with Vorpal Glaives homing ability always inflicting full damage to the target. The upgrade now increases the Glaive’s speed, but returns to having a chance to miss - similar to other siege weapons. This leans into the Glaive Thrower’s personality of being a high velocity siege weapon while fixing the bug.

Addition: KotG

Keeper of the Grove
Base Stats

• Night vision radius reduced from 900 to 800
  • Base Intelligence reduced from 19 to 18

Tranquility

• Invulnerability duration reduced from 3 seconds to 1

Force of Nature

• Treant base damage reduced from 15 to 14

Dev Comment: Keeper has become the pick following his buffs in earlier patches. We are dialing him back some to help promote other heroes - as diverse hero options is one of the best ways to mix up gameplay. The night vision reduction reverts an unintended change.

Undead changed capitalization to UNDEAD
Gargoyle

rm: Movement Speed increased from 350 to 400
add: Movement Speed increased from 350 to 375
comment: -25

Dev Comment:
rm: Increasing the speed of Gargoyles to match Flying Machines and Hippogryphs should allow them to better choose when and where they want to fight. Reducing their cost also helps in general with making them a more competitive choice against Crypt Fiends. Moving Stone Form to Tier 2 was also a piece of feedback we considered, but are not moving forward with right now as increasing the Gargoyles mobility and ability to regenerate hit points at the same time could push their harass ability into being too oppressive.
add: Raising the speed of Gargoyles above ground units allows them to better pick off retreating enemies or intercept reinforcements trickling into the main force. They are still slower than the anti-air units designed to counter them though. Reducing their cost makes them a bit more competitive choice with Crypt Fiends.

Incite Unholy Frenzy changed further:
rm: Now 125 mana
add: Raised to 175 mana
comment: +50

rm: Still 500 cast range
rm: The Unholy Frenzy buff is unchanged
add: including neutral and enemy units
comment: huge nerf?

add: Added a 5 second cooldown
add: Attack speed bonus reduced from 75% to 50%

Skeletal Mastery
rm last part of Dev Comment: A weakened but cheaper version of Cripple at level 1 gives Undead a new way to single out and chase down enemy units at Tier 2. The new version of Unholy Frenzy is intended to combo with the Raise Dead - by sacrificing a few of your Skeletons a couple Necromancers can power up a whole army. It can also be used to sacrifice low hit point units to deny experience for the opponent. Since this is a very large change to the Necromancer it’s likely that adjustments will be required.

comment: Meaning no adjustments were required except for the above Unholy Frenzy nerf.

Ghoul Frenzy

rm: Dev Comment: The prior upgrade didn’t make Ghouls strong enough…
add: Dev Comment: Currently, this upgrade makes Ghouls not quite strong enough…

(New Item) Ritual Dagger
rm: 20 second cooldown between charges
add: 5 second cooldown between charges
comment: -15

add: Damage interrupts regeneration

Dev Comment: ending changed:
rm: Undead players should have more options as to how they want … The current stats of Ritual Dagger are likely on the strong side, which is to help promote testing. Adding a new item like this is a large change so we are going to be watching closely for feedback.
add: gives more viability … We added the interrupt from damage to match the intent of a recovery mechanism between fights.

Big addition:

add: NEUTRAL UNITS

add: Alchemist
Healing Spray

• Cooldown increased from 0 to 6 seconds

Acid Bomb

• Level 1: Primary damage reduced from 6 to 5, and secondary damage reduced from 4 to 3
  • Level 2: Primary damage reduced from 11 to 10, and secondary damage reduced from 7 to 6

Transmute

• Bonus gold granted reduced from 125% to 100%

Dev Comment: The Alchemist continued to be too well rounded. Healing Spray’s cooldown is now in line with similar abilities - such as Blizzard - and we are reducing some of his early to mid game damage compared to other damage dealer heroes. Reducing Transmute is aimed at late game where it over-performed in teams and FFA.

add: Firelord
Soul Burn

• Mana cost reduced from 85 to 65
  • Level 1: Damage reduced from 125 to 80
  • Level 2: Damage reduced from 270 to 200
  • Level 3: Damage reduced from 450 to 340

Dev Comment: We are trying out a new direction for Soul Burn. The Firelord had a lot of mana tension between his 3 active abilities. This aims to reduce some of the mana tension so Soul Burn’s attack damage reduction and single target silence are more impactful to play.

add: Pandaren Brewmaster
Breath of Fire

• Level 1: Increased damage from 5 to 7
  • Level 2: Increased damage from 10 to 14
  • Level 3: Increased damage from 15 to 21

Dev Comment: The Brewmaster’s role as an area of effect damage dealer was overshadowed by other heroes after his previous round of changes. As the main role of the Brewmaster, we wanted to bring the panda-monium back to his kit.

Items became GENERAL ITEMS
comment: Order of items changed to alphabetical. I chose to revert that (it’s how diff works best anyway)

Rings of Protection
comment: All info is the same, just formatted differently. Except:

rm Dev comment last bit: due to how armor has diminishing returns as more is added.

Tome of Experience

Dev comment wording slightly changed:
rm: in how they level up their heroes.
add: leveling up their heroes.
Periapt of Vitality

Dev comment ending slashed:
rm: … is more expensive than others. We want to reduce its price slightly to make it more desirable to purchase it from the Goblin Merchant.
add: … wasn’t 325 gold.

Map Changes became MAP POOL CHANGES
add: (2)EchoIsles

• Changed terrain around the western green gnoll camp to make it less likely for player units to accidentally walk into it
  • Added trees and rearranged doodads behind Mercenary Camps to make them more equal

The end.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but why would you want to make a map that is unplayable in Frozen Throne? I can understand making maps for the Reign of Chaos version, but why would it be a problem if they work in TFT as well?

You are right. I was an elitist prick, back then — thinking “RoC is the true game, TFT is inferior, etc. etc.”
Since then I’ve come to accept TFT but my maps still force you to use RoC unfortunately. Now’s as good a time as any to finally update them to TFT, after 10 years, I suppose.

1 Like

p.s.: I also lack the ability to maintain two separate balance versions of my altered melee map in the same file. RoC vs TFT? So I obviously chose to go with my favorite - RoC. But it works on TFT (with a few warnings).
Some complaints from TFT players like where is the shop, 4th hero, etc over the years. Well they can be happy, I’m going to be adding all that now.

1 Like

In order to make custom keys working, do the following:
1- Go to Warcraft III folder
2- Go to x86
3- Move “CustomKeys.txt” to that folder.
4- Run the game from that folder.

Looking forward to Reforged. Great memories.

Thank you for balancing the panda. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The intro video is black on OpenGL, but works on d3d9 and d3d11+dxvk.
The game crashes before showing the main menu.

That’s with wine-staging 4.9, on which the previous Warcraft 3 version was running fine.

This is the same for me.
In the previous patch my resolution 3440×1440 worked well without lag when I used -nativefullscr.
Now there is not lag with ‘full screen’ mode but the viewport is cropped on the sides.
If i switch to ‘windowed full screen’ I can see the sides in my viewport however the mouse is very laggy, I wish it was still as performant as the last patch. Possibly more support needs to be added for ultra-widescreen monitors.

1 Like

interesting updates
but its messing things up
the moral of the patch is unquestionable but somehow its making things a lot worse.
a lot of things when it was fine for years.

LAST UPDATE TILL REFORGE? YOU MEAN HERO OF STORM -2.0
make an actual remake of the game?
with the latest graphical rendering engines?

unreal engine 4 type graphics
1080P - hd widescreen
60FPS - unit gameplay but not limited to the native fps for frozen throne
hd audio- same originial audio or new higher quality (have the options to choose)
wC3 frozen throne FPS/mechanics/functions

SINCE THIS PATCH
alt tab crashes the game now for some reason
the file locations have been moved ( i cant find them on my own comp) WHY?
there is no camera zoom? WHY
why certain versions of particular maps are not available anymore? i cant even find them on my pc ACTUAL GOOD MAPS? WHY
why does this patch delete and/or move files IN MY WC FOLDER?
when i launch my game now it opens repair or launch window when it would just launch…
please please please please please fix the lag issue and desynce this should have been #1 because every since the bots were taken down it just got a lot worse the game hasnt been consistent 5V5 without lag or droppers or game crash.

bring back the bot host system or give us SOMETHING similar there are too many players who intentionally ruin games and its hard to manage.

MATCHMAKING NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
we need a rank system

the game was good until these patches started THINKING THEY doing good to one thing but messing a lot of other things.

REFORGE IS NOT THE ANSWER

1 Like

When I try to download the map at https://www.epicwar.com/maps/, I get an error.

1. Map file is corrupt or truncated.
2. Invalid magic number in map header.

I noticed it back in the PTR 1.31. I tried to handle this error on my own and it is very strange. Since one of the maps still loaded https://www.epicwar.com/maps/294105/ after editing it in World Edit ptr 1.31. Who faced this error is at all or only at me. Probably the case in the site and the script that he removes the mapinfo?

There was also one mistake when I edited the relief of my futman’s https://www.epicwar.com/maps/293781/ landscape in the x64 version of the editor. There also occurs an error when editing the landscape in the editor and in the x86 version for some reason it is not observed and the editor does not hang.

Playing RT, there is always at least one having an autodisconnect. Happened twice to me now in a row that a game was found but not able to enter even the loading screen.

good job blizzard, after this amazing patch im stuck with 9fps down from 60fps, and the letter size is smaller than a chinese d-1ck

Game crash after alt+tab every time. Why allways new patch f**k up something??

Since the update I have the same problem, also when ingame everything seems a lot laggy.

Guys… before the patch for once i could finally play on a decent resolution with no mouse lag and now after the patch we are back to the same crap. The mouse movement is so delayed that im unable to micro anything in big fights no matter the change of settings or different resolutions. Why is it so difficult to fix this

1 Like

Мать свою удалите а не Roc

My custom keys doesn’t work, fix it please ASAP