Suggestion: Expanded Classic Campaign

Hey folks!
Finally got Remastered installed on my laptop and been checking out the old Single-Player campaigns, and got thinking (dangerous, I know…)

I’ve been pondering how awesome it would be if the classic campaigns got a bit of an overhaul. Maybe a difficulty boost for the early levels, or variable difficulty settings for veteran players. Some fine tuning to make the levels play better, or, best idea, expanded campaigns to progress the story more thoroughly, say up to 20 chapters for each race.

Anyone ever work on or hear of such a thing? Wish I had the skills to build it myself, but I’m just not that creative…

2 Likes

I already did it.

Otherwise you have Starcraft: Mass Recall which uses the Starcraft 2 engine and plays like a Disney reboot.

edit: the below thread has more alternatives as well

Check this thread out
it has a link to an unofficial map pack that makes the original campaigns way harder

Nice! I figured by now someone may have already done it. I’ll check it out once I finish replaying the classic campaigns.

2 Likes

I would also suggest looking up the UEDAIP mod. It’s an overhaul of the campaigns, re-introduces the two cut levels (though the mod’s own take on them), with lots of Quality of Life features, higher difficulty, smarter AI players capable of doing things the original campaign AI would never do, even Allied AI players that are able to genuinely contribute to the mission without feeling like a crutch that will win the mission for you.

There are balance changes to the tech trees; Episodes 1-3 have their own set of balance changes, many of which are reverted for Episodes 4-6, which has its own set of balance changes that set it apart from Brood War, most of which is noted or summarized in a guide (admittedly written by me, but it’s not my mod, I just enjoyed it enough to document stuff) on the project’s discord server.

The mod even gives the UED their own separate set of units and its own tech tree (though it still re-uses the Terran structures). As a bonus, the Brood War portion of the mod is playable in multiplayer melee matches online, so long as everyone playing is using the same version of the mod. It even has functional AI players for Melee maps, and the UED faction is playable in melee as well, chosen by playing as certain player colors as Terran.

Did you guys know about Starcraft: Reversed? inspired by Mindhawk’s Starcraft 2 version, it’s basically the same thing but for SC1 where the roles are reversed.

The amount of effort put into it is impressive but there’s a lack of progression as the tech trees are mostly unlocked for most levels and the difficulty varies wildly as a result, also the allied AI is pretty dumb at times which is the most noticeable in the final Brood War level.