StarEdit Question for free version of StarCraft

How do I access StarEdit in StarCraft now that I have a free version of the game?

If the free version doesn’t allow this, I’ll just buy a paid version of the game again. I don’t have my StarCraft disk.

I intend to develop a new 1vs1/2vs2 map using a low mineral economy concept, with mineral/gas ratios similar to Legacy of the Void maps, but not as many bases.

I’m an expert with the editor, I just haven’t used it in about 4 years.

11-18-2020 at 3:59 PM - PST

@Wade,

StarEdit has been Deprecated for quite awhile now. (Yet people keep asking about it…) Somewhere on the Site is a Link to Download Original StarEdit, BUT Blizzard, (since the Deprecation), IS NO LONGER providing Updates to that Program. So, over time, and with each subsequent Patch of SC:R, (Free or Paid), StarEdit becomes more and more ‘unstable’ to use and WILL eventually FAIL to be usable.

StarEdit HAS been replaced by SCMDraft II and a Thread on this Subject is ‘stickied’ to the Top of the Forum. Please read through the SCMDraft II Thread for ALL information on this Tool, AND for a Link to Download this Tool.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

TimeLord04

SCMDraft is unstable, doesn’t work, and my brand new computer considers it malware.

I tried installing it, and Microsoft blocked it because they consider it malware.

I provided administrator password to override.

So then when I try to run it I get a Dll error.

So I googled the DLL and downloaded that and installed it in the correct directory, and then tried running SCMDraft again and got the same DLL error. I installed redundant copies in the SCMDRaft folder to see if that would help, and that didn’t work either.

Does General Mengsk have an editor that works? I know his editor was just as good, heck better than anything SCMDRaft could do anyway.

Hey Wade,

Here is final official release of StarEdit. It was updated to fix the compatibility issues that arose from the remastering process. I haven’t used it in a while but it did work well for several months after it was released. Note in Bliz’s explanation that because it’s the final release, it may slowly lose functionality as SCR is updated over time.

Hopefully Sinsanity will see your post so that they can take a look into what’s clogging SCMDraft2 up.

1 Like

11-19-2020 at 7:04 AM - PST

@Leviathan,

Thanks for Posting the Link to StarEdit for Wade. I was unsure where/how to find that now that SOOOOO much time has past since the Deprecation of it.

Hopefully, this will tide Wade over until @Sinsanity is able to assist Wade with SCMDraft II. SCMDraft II has MUCH more functionality in it. It DOES take time in getting used to how to make use of ALL that functionality, though.

Good Luck @Wade, and thanks again @Leviathan.

TimeLord04

I have to agree with Wade. Blizzard’s decision to abandon their own editor was a blunder of the highest order. ScmDraft2 is undoubtedly very powerful, but it’s also cumbersome and dispersive: the simple act of placing resources is an ordeal, since the user is forced to go through countless tabs. ScmDraft2 is clearly aimed at those who have mastered StarEdit and want something more from their editor, but it shouldn’t have become the only available choice, especially considering that StarEdit will always work for the original (non remastered) game.

Okay, thanks. That actually worked, strangely enough.

I do regret thath SCMDraft 2 doesn’t work on my computer, and I don’t know where to find General Mengsk’s editor, either of those could do the Korean style north facing ramps, but the map I intend to make isnt’ a ramp map anyway. It’s going to be low ground with some “raised island” expansions and some low ground expansions. 4 start locations for a 1vs1 map. So I don’t think I need very much SCMDraft or General Mensks tools specifically.

This should be fine, because most .SCM maps are backwards compatible with new game versions anyway.

Thanks again.