SC remastered crashes at startup new Mac BigSur M1

@blizzard so this is just never going to get fixed? again, literally makes 0 sense that I can’t play a 20 year old game on one of the newest MacBooks so lets hop on this. give us some info or timeline w t h

2 Likes

I am talking about the Monterey beta on my M1 Mac mini with 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of SSD space. Unless you’re talking to someone else.

The only thing I referenced my Intel mini for is that it’s my work machine. My M1 Mac is a personal machine, so I have no problem running the Monterey beta on it.

And again, the Monterey beta almost entirely fixed it for me.

1 Like

Thanks very much for reporting on your testing results, EvilPencil! These forums can get confusing sometimes with people talking about unrelated issues, but regardless, your efforts are appreciated. I don’t think it’s spamming at all, I welcome any further tips you have on getting this running on M1.

It’s good to know there’s hope that the issue is resolved in Monterey (aka macOS 12), although the final version of that isn’t coming out until this autumn most likely, so I’m still hoping there is some kind of resolution before then.

I saw that the issue was not resolved on macOS 11.5 beta 2. It looks like 11.5 beta 3 is out now, any chance you or anyone else is able to test on that version?

Hey all, so as Pencil said SC Remastered will work on MacOS 12. Easiest way to get it to work is to turn your machine into a Developer machine using the registry editor/terminal, then it will allow you to download OS 12. Its not too bad of a beta! SC works fine so far, it just gives that wierd error message when you CLOSE SC R, but it works! Look on youtube for Mr Macintosh and he explains what to do its very easy!

1 Like

Great, thanks for the clarification and your test results!

Unfortunately no, I’d have to restore my M1 Mac back to Big Sur and then upgrade to the beta just to find out it probably doesn’t work. And then restore a time machine backup. We’re talking about hours of stuff here, since Monterey is currently the only operating system on the machine. 11.5 betas are just too far for me.

If I had to guess it’s probably a Rosetta 2 fix that accounts for whatever behavior changes there are. Apple would have to tell us that, though.

Big shout out to EvilPencil for being our test bed!!

1 Like

Hey guys, be patient with them. I also want to echo how frustrated I was when I found out starcraft crashed on M1.

By the way – Big Sur made my printer incompatible. So in general, I don’t like how Mac always reinvents things so everything else is obsolete. Thanks Mac!

1 Like

They’re not necessarily ignoring it; they’re prioritizing it. And Apple should be to blame; they are the ones that change things so that everyone else has to catch up.

Read our comments. Get Monterey Beta and it will be fixed. Monterey in general will fix the issue this Fall.

1 Like

I have a new mini Mac with M1 and same startup problem and crashing.

Ok, so as of last night im not sure why, but SCR tried to update and got stuck on “Fetching CDN…”, ive also now tried to reinstall SCR, as well as Battle.net and neither will work, I deleted BNET from my mac and it wont reinstall. IDK what happened but now its back to broken, running OS 12 Beta 2, everything was working just fine a few days ago.

Ok, I have installed Monterey public Beta as a separate Volume on the Mac and the SR Remastered runs just fine :slight_smile:

Same here. I have an M1 mini Mac, and try to play SC remastered. It got crashed when I am launching it.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I just bought Starcraft Remastered after having been away from the Starcraft universe since pretty much the launch and installed it on my brand new MacBook Pro M1 and have the same issue. It simply want launch.

I did submit a support ticket that included the system report which was welcomed. The response back was that this it is still a bug being worked on and it seems Blizzard needs help from Apple to resolve it. They also mentioned that another bug was related to system names with spaces in them but changing my system name to one without spaces did not resolve this bug. Let us keep this bug thread alive until this is fixed!

I also reopened the ticket replying that changing the system name did not fix the bug in order to keep my ticket alive and marked as not resolved.

From reading later posts here I now understand that a fix is in a later OS that is still in Beta. I guess I will have to wait until the fall then as I have no wish to run a beta OS on my primary Mac work machine.

Best, DrLiquid

For those who even with Monterey can’t run the game, here’s what I did:

1. Change your computer’s name (delete all spaces)
  2. Download beta 3 from MacOS Monterey (it’s a very stable version and free)
  3. Purchase the game. I don’t know if this had something to do, but previously I did not want to buy the game unless It ran on my computer.
  4. Select Public Test Realm in the game version.

As I said before, I don’t know if these steps must be all done. Maybe you can try only one of them. I’ve got a MacBook Air M1 (8 core / 512GB).

Hey CydoniaKnight,
Thanks for your post… you’re saying SC:R is working for you on the beta for the next MacOS update?

At the beginning it didn’t work.
But after doing those steps it did work.
I don’t know if the rest did something different, but it’s worth a try.

Another Monterey success story (M1 Mini)

1. I used Battle.Net to uninstall SC:R
  2. I uninstalled Battle.Net
  3. Restart computer
  4. I installed the Monterey beta
  5. Download and install Battle.Net
  6. I used Battle.Net to install Starcraft

I can launch the game, load the campaign, and access remastered & original & cartooned.

3 Likes

I just bought a new M1 chip iMac with Big Sur OS. How sad am I that I can’t play SC:Remastered. Please fix this!

1 Like