Enabling 64-bit

Hey all –

With the release of Patch 1.23.0, we hit a significant future-proofing milestone for StarCraft which was the distribution of a 64bit binary.

We plan to roll this out in phases, with this phase being an opt-in. If you are interested in helping test 64bit or if you’re running the latest macOS beta, please give it a go!

Steps to enable 64-bit:

1. Open Blizzard App
  2. At the top left click the down arrow to the right of the Blizzard logo.
  3. Go to Settings
  4. Click on Game Settings
  5. Unclick "Launch 32-bit Client (instead of 64-bit)

thanks,
Matt

8 Likes

Congratulations on accomplishing this !!! keep up the good work. Now we have Remastered for even more years to come. Thanks for that.

technically, it will not make the game last longer but, it might improve stability. microsoft is not going to remove 32 bit support after all. they must however understand that memory leaks should be sealed or else, even a 64 bit executable will use up all available memory. it does however mean that they can add graphics that requires more memory which is a plus. i personally always use 64 bit executables when i can.

Modifying such an ancient game to be 64-bit sounds like a huge undertaking. It would make a really cool editorial piece if you were able to write about how you approached it, the challenges faced, any types of major rewrites etc. Not everyone may like but it seems like such an interesting topic, would love to hear more.

3 Likes

Thinking something along those lines. I hope it will not break on Linux, perhaps I should try joining the beta test opt-in and see what changes are to be made and make the community know to keep all Blizzard games running once the Blizzard App is 64bit only.

64-bit is now the default. Windows users can enable 32-bit via the following steps:

1. Open Blizzard App
  2. At the top left click the down arrow to the right of the Blizzard logo.
  3. Go to Settings
  4. Click on Game Settings
2 Likes

This is fantastic! Well done and thank you all for making this happen!!

hum starcraft forever…

What is the befefits to run SC in 64-bit mode?

Absolutely nothing in particular or meaningful regarding gameplay or stability, is a matter of longevity most of all, 32 processor might get deprecated in the next few years, and more importantly (As some people claim), OS`s will stop having 86x architecture and concentrate on 64x instead, meaning “theoretically” they could be more efficient in that matter, particularly at Kernel level.

Is just something to be happy about considering we will have SC:RM for a lot of years to come.

1 Like

MacOS has Deprecated 32-Bit in Mojave. Catalina, (supposedly), “Requires” 64-Bit.

Windows, (as The100YOU states), may also Deprecate 32-Bit in the next few years. So, this is for the longevity of SC:R.

TimeLord04

It doesn’t work… Under the game settings there is nothing that says 32-bit client or 64-bit. In the game settings you can just modify where to install the games. So where do i change from 32-bit to 64-bit???

2 Likes

Greetings, As of today 7/5/2021 the button to stop the game from launching is 32bit mode is greyed out and not able to be clicked, Was this intentional or is my client bugged? How can i fix this as i prefer playing the 64bit version of the game…

It works fine for me, on Windows. Try reinstalling Battle.net app. If that doesn’t work, reinstall SC, as well.

You can also find the 64 bit SC exe in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft\x86_64\StarCraft.exe
and launch it from there.

Starcraft still crashes on my mac catalina. Does anyone have a same problem? I’m sure it’s running the 64-bit version…

The problem is fixed in the latest version of MacOS (Monterey).

Hi all, I updated my OS to Monterey today but my game still doesn’t start. Nothing changed. After intro cinematic, the screen gets black and after 3-4 seconds, my cursor turns into a circle of a few colors. What am I doing wrong? Please guide me.