ZVP: Bring back Scourge (Test on PTR)

Lurker itself bad design burrow and auto attack while even armada required control

Not bad designed,is just another siege unit, they are basic units. There is not alot of options around these kind of units and Z needed some non flying siege unit.

Pff look on queen a lot queen witch shroud can stop skytoss

Please name one tool that each race has to protect their air units from scourge that will apply consistently in effectiveness.

3 Likes

Phoenix archon stalker voidray marine mine thor liberator ghost hydra queen corruptor viper infestor

The idea that scourge would not be viable in sc2 comes from gold league scrubs that don’t even play the game enough to understand the concept of kiting.

1 Like

20 characters required

Lacks AoE or smart fire. They can deal with small scourge, but short of face tanking an A-move attack they cant actually fend off scourge in large numbers. They can survive, probably, but they cant protect anything.

Are ground units, and therefore are subject to terrain. They cant keep up with air armies, and using any significant land presence specifically to fend off scourge mostly defeats the main advantages of having air units. To say nothing of the fact that archons have incredibly short range and stalkers suffer the same issues as phoenixes, but worse.

wut?

are ground units and require an entire different tech line to keep relevant, dramatically hampering your ability to make air units.

That might protect them in your base, but you certainly arent using them to proactively head off scourge. Theyre too slow to react.

Thors ALSO lack smart fire, and while they might catch A-moving scourge in a single clump (again, if its conveniently over an area the thor can reach) , sending a couple ahead will trigger the long weapon cooldown.

youve FINALLY hit on a unit that might actually work effectively.

Are they going to use their spitball rifles in this scenario or what?

STILL lack smart fire and are STILL ground units.

Ok, now i think youre just trolling.

This one could potentially work, but its dependent on your micro ability, and can be countered by just not clumping your scourge. If you make enough vipers to counter THAT, youve already just killed your own army strength and they dont even need scourge to fight you anymore.

Same deal with the viper, but worse because its a land unit and cant regain energy nearly as quickly.

1 Like

I just listed all the options, feel free to keep quoting the same gold player tho.

Absolutely not, liberators are frequently seen kiting interceptors at the highest level which have a speed of 10.5, same with corruptors.

Gold league bias exposed. 5 VR’s 1 shot a scourge, 4 with +1 air. VR has attack delay of .36 meaning you are definitely shaving off scourges before they hit. Considering the best possible gas trade for zerg would be 3 scourge for 1 vr (112.5 vs 150) it would be extremely easy to turn the engagement into a favourable trade for the protoss, it’s the same concept as the current relationship of cyclone vs blinkstalker, or muta vs vr.

No they won’t because air splash exists.

They absolutely do. L2p

Given the nature of air stacking in sc2, thors would be great against scourge.

Mines move at almost 4 speed and have a 1 sec burrow time.

In what sense would those “might” kill scourge? PB is seen as an effective counter to mutas, vikings, and vr at highest level all of which have several times the hp pool of scourge. In what universe are you living in where aa aoe spells “might” kill a 25 hp air unit?

They wouldn’t because:
a) you can kite them to death
b) they are incredibly gas intensive
c) air splash exists

No air splash units on protoss sky uh you forget it about gas heavy doesnt matter zerg can remax half corraptors easy then zerg on 5 hatch atleast

If you are a-moving phoenix you belong in gold. Scourge are light, 7 range phoenixes would rape scourge like no tomorrow.

Air units can move towards ground units. Stalkers 2 shot scourge and have blink, archons can be transported in prism.

l2kite

The techline that terrans go for in 90% of games is irrelevant to their ability to counter air units? Thanks I guess I’ll fly my overlords in terrans base the whole game because the marine is that much out of the terran tech path.

Do you even understand how counter relationships work? Here’s a hint: air units are not necessarily meant to be countered with air units, that was the entire premise of the broodlord in wol.

If you are using it vs scourge for anything other than aoe you’re doing it wrong.

Funny other gold leaguers seem to disagree.

No they’re going to use their 6 range and bonus to light to 1 shot scourge at +3.

Again, l2kite

This is like saying the ability of vipers to counter mutas is dependent on micro ability. Seriously, l2p.

Fungal can’t counter 25 hp air units? Like???
You realize it does 30 dmg right?

Hahaha archon that does bonus to all zerg and one-shot scourge is not “air splash” hahahahaha

Archont ground splash doesnt fly also their role tank ground like a comedy zerg a move hydra corraptors and protoss must split against scourge take loss because he split and after fight

Right, archon toilet never existed, protoss build archons to tank ground, not kill corruptor! Ty scrub.

Yeah, thats cool. What happens if i right click my scourge on the carriers and ignore the phonixes? When 10 phoenixes target two scourge between them, youre killing maybe 3 or 4 before the pack gets through to kill your carriers. Phoenixes can survive, but they cant protect anything.

So in order for air play to be viable in ZvX, it needs to actually be ground play? Neat.

Im kiting those scourge away from my overlords or brood lords now am i?

Right, i forgot that skyterran consisted mainly of marines. How silly of me.

Are you genuinely stupid? The brood lord was hard countered by ALL air units.

Wow, way to not even address the point.

So again, a terran going for mech/sky also now needs to invest in bio tech, and are also relying on the absolutely atrocious ghost auto attack to defend their units? You were better off with the marines.

If i need to kite the scourge to fight them, then i cant stop them from killing their actual targets: my capital ships or the equivalent. In ZvZ, overlords are also absolutely hosed.

Im sorry that you have literally no idea how to engage in the most basic anti-splash mechanics in the game (not stacking your units), but pretending that you cant do that with scourge isnt an argument.

See above. If im catching two scourge per fungal, im not defending anything with infestors.

1 Like

Archont toilet in the past also archont tank bane and any ground support role in sky and yes split corraptors against archont and zerg fine

You have a proportionate amount of phoenixes to his scourge. Sorry you can’t have 2 phoenix for 50 scourge. They would absolutely be able to protect carriers the same way tanks protect marines from banes, just because overkill is possible does not negate a counter relationship.

Wow you actually need to build ground units? What a revolutionary concept!

If you want to protect broods from scourge build viper, but if you’re building broods in zvz then you’ve already lost.

Pure vr would be able to take favourable trades vs scourge the same way they do vs mutas, except scourge would be more gas intensive. Again, your gold league bias is showing.

I forgot the ability to create marines was removed once terran invested into 3 starports.

Are you? Or did the point fly that high over your head?

Broods countered all ground and were hard countered by air. Scourge at worst would counter all air and be hard countered by ground? L2p I’m sick of spoonfeeding gold league players fundamentals.

That thors would be an effective counter to scourge? No, that’s you bud.

Ghost is essential unit in lategame tvz, regardless if you’re going mech or bio. Ty for again proving you have gold league knowledge.

If you need to kill scourge quickly then mine, archon, thor, marine etc are ofc better options. You can beat scourge with kiting or with dps/splash.
You think zerg would trade 25/75 for 100/0? Are you dumb?

Tell that to pro players that make vipers and infestors vs mutas, kid.

If you’re catching 2 scourge with a fungal that’s a l2p problem.

Split corruptors can’t focus fire or dodge storms properly. L2p.

Who is storm then 2 fungal kill the ht so only archont left and wow zerg do a few ultras kill the archont and corraptors are focus fire

L2 use prismmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nobody gonna use prism for ht unless you want some free loss prism

Yea no toss use it cause their race is so busted they don’t even need to.