Zerg new player

Hi! I am new player in SC2 and i am playing Zergs. Was playing protos but they are boring.

I am currently in plat 2 and i struggle vs terrans. IF they spam thors i don’t know how to counter it. They can destroy my air and ultrisk feels bad.

Also what are good safe units to mass? I always disliked a lot of diffferent units with abilities. For example if you got 4 different units and every one of them have 1-2 abilities that you need to use.

I am currently at 100 apm without usuless clicking.

Two ways.

1. against mech: SH + roach/ Ravager. against air you can add hydra or corruptor.

2. ling bane hydra ultra: against bio and then add viper. in general it is not bad if you can control viper.

there are more ways and comps but they should suffice against thor + bio or thor + mech

Thors will probably roll over an equal supply of anything else with a 1A click. They have a lot of health, insane DPS, insane range, and can be rush produced. Best thing you can do is take their toys away and make them yours. NP half the thors then bring in your army

1 Like

Hi Druitz,

it would be best if you could upload some of your replays on
drop.sc
and post the link here (with a "
" in front).

1 Like

In low diamond I find Hydra do well with ling bane runbys and viper support. Early on its easier to mass roach ravager for fights until the economy grows enough to sustain Thor/tank production. Thors are good enough to take almost any frontal engagement, but are easily overwhelmed by numbers and very slow. Ling bane runbys and attacks on outlying expos at a good way to cut income (it takes about 3k resources to make about 4 Thors if I remember right). Enough banes and cracklings will destroy a PF and all the mining SCV’s. Vipers abducting Thors (preferred) and tanks from just out of vision or over terrain into mass Hydra makes mass Thor look really dumb. Bonus points if you can get lurkers into the comp as they complicate the Terran response, but aren’t really necessary. If he tries to YOLO or force any kind of frontal engagement, you can punish him with blinding cloud.

You can trade hydras for Thors all day long on equal economies, but there are some key things you need for this.
Upgrades: this makes a much bigger difference than most players realize. It’s ideal to have at least 2 evos doing upgrades as often as possible.
Economy: trying to outfight someone with a lower economy is suicide for almost any strategy. The exact harvester number depends on your spending abilities, although viper/Hydra is expensive, so lean toward too many than too few.
General control: thors will annihilate vipers if you miss control them, and inevitably you will sooner or later. They work best on a separate hotkey following the hydras. Avoid using f2 and remember to que them away after casting their spells.

Be slow and methodical with the viper Hydra ball and you will win. Only the ling bane are truly expendable. Good luck

2 Likes

Hey, against pure thors, a good counter is upgraded lings, only you need a lot, like equal supply.

In terms of a mech army with tanks, hellbats, and thors, ravager baneling works as long as you move command the banelings to tank for your ravagers. You can also try the spellcaster route with neural and/or blinding cloud, but from my experience vipers are unreliable with the thor’s 10 anti air range. Really, the only units you don’t want to be making vs thors are ultras and air units.

Lulkers, more damage to mech
1.While waiting to them turn off attacks
2. When they come close enought turn attacks ON.
3. Even when he scan he will lose enought cash, and gas.
4. Build some army and end match.