Zerg control groups

I’m trying to improve my control group usage.

In particular, I’m trying to build a habit of immediately adding units morphed from larva into control groups. But when I’m doing so, I often end up adding unused larva to that group as well. And if later that larva is morphed into a drone or an overlord - they end up in the control group as well.

The best I can think of for now - after morphing units, select all unused larva and add it to some dedicated control group, excluding from other control groups. But that’s an extra action, which takes time and requires building a more complicated habit.

Is there a better solution?

ctrl-click the eggs, then press shift + number
You can also use shift + left-click to deselect one larva from your army control group or shift + ctrl + left-click to remove more than one type of unit from that control group.

If you only use “add to control group and take away unit”, you can also spread your army onto 3 different control groups to prepare surrounds or do runbys or leave units at a watch tower.
Most importantly though you can switch banelings away from your main army group so you don’t a-move them accidentally.
Other problems could units in your hatchery control group (steal them into a more useful control group) or that you want to have units in more than one control group (use create control group or extra key combinations to only add them to another control group).

Example:
1 - main army
2 - banelings, later lurkers
3 - mutas, overseer, corruptor, vipers with energy
4 - creep queens
5 - infestors, swarm hosts
6 - all hatcheries
7 - spawning pool, runbys, vipers that need energy
8 - spire, nydus, lings at watch towers, burrowed lings blocking bases
9 - other tech buildings (roach warren, hydra den, infestation pit, baneling nest, ultralisk cavern), runbys / watch tower / burrowed lings
0 - evolution chambers, runbys / watch tower / burrowed lings

Thanks for the response.

Personally, I find clicking a bit slow. Ideally, I’m looking for a solution where I could morph units using keyboard only. Ideally without even moving the camera to the base. I have all the hatcheries at 0 and Cmd+# configured to add to control group and exclude from others. So morphing for me currently looks like 0-S-[Unit Hotkey]-[Cmd+#]-0-S-[Cmd+4] (4 being a dummy group). And I can do this while looking at the battle.

I like to be able to make units using keyboard only, but I want to shorten the key stroke sequence somehow.

Do you think it makes sense, or should I just practise with the mouse and camera hotkeys more?

You CAN only use the keyboard to add units to a control group, IF you use all available larvae.
So either you Cmd-click the eggs and then use shift+army number OR you have to shift-Cmd-click the larvae off your army group afterwards repeatedly.

Edit: I had problems with mixing up shift and Cmd (ctrl for me) so I switched to alt+1-6 and ctrl+F1-F4 for my control groups and ctrl/alt + a-f and ctrl/alt + z-v for my camera locations.

Sometimes I am sloppy and don’t hit the clicks right so I use the all army button (and then ctrl-click the mutas / roaches / banelings) or the ralley point to add the new units.

nah you cant without clicking its just one ctrl click dude

just practice

if im wrong correct me though im interested

I actually gotinto this habit a month ago, you have to control click, but it quickly becomes second nature much like injects.

If you guys want another tip, get into the habit of using alt click and alt shift click, it’s so useful for splitting a part of your army to deal with a prism or something. Also in zvz it saves you a few clicks if you alt click your banes to a different hotkey instead of shift clicking them out.