Zagara Prestige Talents - First Impressions

After multiple playthroughs as Zagara, these are my thoughts on each of her Prestige talents.

Scourge Queen

Kinda nuts seeing Zerglings, Banes and Scourge in very large numbers, fits the ‘relentless swarm’ idea quite well albeit with small units.

Removing the hero unit so the commander plays like other non-hero commanders is fine but at the same time killing off the calldowns and rendering 4 of 6 masteries completely useless does seem a bit much.

Very noticeable how things move a little too slowly due to a complete lack of Frenzy.

Baneling Nest popping out 8 at a time is quite nuts.

Scourge Nest should have a rally point.

Though this talent plays out reasonably well enough, the absence of calldowns is hard to ignore.

Mother of Constructs

Nice to see Aberrations and Corruptors finally getting some much needed attention. The buffs do make them considerably durable and only had to replace them occasionally. Previously, they would have been replaced frequently.

Used this talent on several maps and they appear to do a pretty decent job for the most part though they can take their time in some instances.

While Corruptors are quite tanky, they still suffer from their main issue which is relatively low DPS. Also, given that Scourge are unaffected, players are free to spam them as anti-air as they always have hence Corruptors can still be ignored with little or no consequence. If players are to take up Corruptors over Scourge, the advantages and disadvantages should favor Corruptors more so.

“No Free Banelings” as a disadvantage looks to be too small a price to pay for what you get with this Prestige talent. I can recall several games with this talent where resources were banked by the thousands in the late stages.

If the idea with this talent is to promote more usage with A+C, at best a non-suicide build with Zagara, there should be more to drive it home i.e. give players less reason to use Banes and Scourge. I would do so by upping the disadvantage to nerf Banes and Scourge. One idea, on top of no free Banes, is to cut their damage by 25-50% and/or disable their upgrades. Whatever the solution, it should be a 1:1 trade-off or close enough to it.

Apex Predator

Played this talent very much like Kerrigan - one woman killing spree while building up the army at home.

Nearly 100% uptime with Hydralisks and combined with the other skills can make it very incentivizing to try and wipe out everything with just Zagara. Even more so when paired with other capable hero units, Dehaka in particular.

Nothing really changes with the unit composition, just the usual stuff. The added expense seem like a minor annoyance at best but a reasonable trade-off given what Zagara can do.

For some maps, there was a noticeable lack of gas and a large bank of minerals in the late game.

Scourge Queen - I am very happy with this one. Frenzy is one of my favorite abilities in the game, so losing it hurts. But I haven’t seen this many lings on my screen at once in a very long time.

Mother of Constructs - I certainly felt the lack of DPS when massing Aberrations and Corruptors. I think that this is meant to be a defense map build, in which case it’s possible adding a buff to Bile Launchers or Spore/Spine Crawlers could help put this Prestige in its place. To be fair I’ve like, never really used Corruptors so getting used to spamming their ability will hopefully make some difference. Or perhaps this Prestige could make it auto cast, or AOE.

1 Like

To be honest, I am surprised one of her Prestiges isn’t some kind of turret gameplay, given that Zagara had bile launchers, and could generate huge number of drones for crawlers easily.

She always seemed like a potential ideal Zerg character for some Tower-based gameplay, equivalent to Swann and Karax of the other two factions. I would have loved to see a Prestige option go that direction with some changes to her kit to that end.

3 Likes

I would have loved to see one centered on bile launchers