XML view "corrupting" other units/structures?

Hello, and thanks for your time.

To TLDR: I’m trying to use some AI assistance in looking over XML view data from the data editor to edit units for a warcraft 3 conversion project. essentially ‘starcraft 2 ifying’ the warcraft 3 races. via the system stripped war3data dependancy mod (this mod has all the art shells and no abilities/annoying triggers present, essentially breaking all units and structures.)

One massive hurdle I’m facing is that the xml script changes seem to be ‘shared’ across all units and structures in my tests. (example, the 'footman weapon damage" is carried over to the ‘cannon tower’ xml view.) editing any individual via the XML view essentially ‘corrupts’ all other xml view windows. (I thought that perhaps instead of painfully navigating the menus of the editor I could take advantage of the XML view and AI to make edits).

As an example:

Weapon effect:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- SOUND-PRESERVED PHYSICAL DAMAGE ENGINE -->

<CEffectDamage id="FootmanWeapon1Damage" parent="DU_WEAP">

    <Amount value="14"/>

    <Kind value="Melee"/>

    <Death value="Normal"/>

    <Visibility value="Visible"/>

</CEffectDamage>

Gets ‘seen’ by a “Cannon tower” weapon effect damage section. and vice versa. any edits within the XML view for whatever reason changes the other. I need to do further testing on this (heading to work at the moment >_<) but Im hoping someone knows whats going on with the XML view. I’ve tried removing the DU-WEAP thinking that perhaps this is some form of ‘master swap’ happening but to no avail, the editor seems to want to replace all XML views/inputs. any thoughts?