Worst old and new units

What units from SC1:BW and SC2 do you dislike for lore reasons and don’t miss/wouldn’t miss?

Im not at all a fan of the roach, or the new Infested Terran styles. The former has never struck me as being remotely zerg-ey, and the latter turns infestation from a special thing requiring controlled conditions into your bog standard zombie plague.

It is kind of neat that when an infested terran times out in multiplayer, they actually shoot themselves though.

2 Likes

I really dislike the Banshee, would not miss it at all. I don’t like what they’d done with the Wraiths in SC2. Always had a love-hate relationship with the Vikings and Hellions/Hellbats, mostly for lore reasons.

I find the BW Zerg units to be very neat. I’m thinking Devourers, Defilers, Guardians and Brood Queens.

Never much liked how the BW Firebat armor looks but as far as lore goes they are good in my book.

It makes more sense to have specialized aircraft instead of a jack of all trades.

SC1: scout

SC2: roach

Disagreed and heavily.

This is why you have love/hate relationship with Hellion/Hellbat and Viking right?

Banshees do one job and they do it flawlessly.

The Viking is an illogical unit for its intended lore purposes, being not too fast and ungainly in the air, and a bootleg Goliath knockoff on the ground.

It’s like putting two very specialized units into one, instead of using two more generalist units. It doesn’t make sense to me.

The Hellion is a neat unit but the Vulture suits me better, and I don’t see a good lore reason for the Hellbat, that’s where the hate comes from.

And the Banshee seems like a pretty awful design to me in an era where air-to-air fights are more important logically. Neither of them seem to make sense over upgrading the Wraith further - pretty sure they just wanted shiny new units.

Banshees control ground really, really well.

And for whatever reason, ground battles are still happening.

Vikings have incredible range. Especially if you add upgrades to their lore, which I think you should.

Not to mention that WoL Vikings with AoE and range take dump on anything airborne

The lore idea behind changing from Wraiths was that they were too rigid in combination with Valkyries against Zerg air units. Making a unit that is not exactly mobile will not counteract that problem.

If their in-game stats are to go by, Wraiths (BW) actually outdamage Vikings in the air. Lore on Wraith upgrades is pretty short, since the Dominion banned modifications, so we don’t know what they could achieve. What if there were two lasers instead of one? If the Banshee upgrades were applied?

It’s like those people who talk about 9mm bullets as how good they are because of ‘modern bullet technology’ and fail to apply the same ‘modern bullet technology’ to other cartridges - it is there by the by. .45 ACP +P not only kills the physical body, it also kills the spirit within.

But fine, Banshees would work pretty well in tandem with Wraiths, but not on their own.

They are not intended to be for solo use.

They are either used as assault and raid aircraft that is outwitting clueless enemies of humanity or as terror troops against rebellious populace.

Nothing warms my heart quite as much as terrorizing ungrateful civilians and bringing God’s rightous justice to terrorists.

But I stand by what I said, with minimal modifications the Wraiths could be amazing…er than either Banshees or Vikings. Even in their current form they could be used in tandem with either but for some reason the lore-jockeys hate the poor things.

They are even cooler than Goliaths. And don’t get me started on the greatest mechanical wonder bestowed upon us.

All the drones like cyclones, predators and ravens

Just seems like a knee jerk reaction to modern tech, coulda been explained away somehow as to why everything needed a human pilot

But if there is any drones at all, then there is no reason not to have all drones at their tech level and just forego all the wasted human life

Protoss at least have the psionics excuse, could have made the same for Terran somehow

Good that you reminded me, I hate those things.

Cyclones actually have pilots.

He hates them because they are not Diamondbacks.

1 Like

Actually, gameplay-wise, this makes perfect sense. The Original was very clunky, so a unit like Goliath and Wraith that attack both ground and air work great. However, the new gameplay is much smoother and more responsive. A unit like Viking and Liberator are better fits for the game. You should just build the unit and send it away willy nilly.It helps introducing player to micro as well.

By the way, I hate Mothership. It’s such a let down. Just give all three races an ultimate unit if you care so much about balance.

But this is specifically about lore.

Worst time was when Mothership Core was a thing.

Err… I see. Can I switch from Mothership to Carrier? During this four years gap, the Protoss changes a lot. I like that Void Ray is a combine effort of Nerazim and Khalai. I just wish they do something about the Carrier as well. Like outfit with a new kind of interceptor. As it stand, I don’t like the Carrier in SC2.