Widow Mines are so Broken

Ravager regular attack has 6 range, and that outranges WM.

Also you forgot to mention one of the best units in the game - Lurker.

I am sure that a single WM can kill 90% of YOUR army, but I can assure you that this is not the case for people who have at least some skill in the game.

Maybe if instead of balance whining you at least learned the stats of your units, you won’t had such problems with WMs?=)

Oh hey, are you time traveller from 2010? Well I must tell that quite a lot have happened during the last 12 years.

When you return to your time can you please contact me and tell to not sell Tesla shares, please?

1 Like

Stimmed Bio moves at 4.725. That is because Stim increases the users’ movement speed by 50% from their base speed of 3.15. In order to maintain that speed, the units must be constantly stimmed, refreshing every 10.7 seconds at the cost of 10 or 20 health respectively.

Here’s a list of all Zerg ground units that can outrun stimmed Bio on creep:

• Zerglings (both upgraded and non-upgraded).
  • Banelings (upgraded). Before the upgrade they move at 4.55 on creep, which is only slightly slower, but after the upgrade they move at about 5.37.
  • Hydralisks (upgraded). Upgraded Hydralisks move at 5.1175 on creep.
  • Roaches (upgraded). Upgraded Roaches move at about 5.45 on creep.
  • Ravagers. Ravagers move at about 5 speed on creep.
  • Lurkers (upgraded). Upgraded Lurkers move at 5.907 on creep, which is almost as fast as Hellions. Off creep, they are just slightly slower than Bio at 4.543. You do still need time to burrow though.
  • Ultralisks. Ultralisks are faster than Bio on creep (5.37), and upgraded Ultralisks are still faster than Bio off creep (4.95).

This is why creep is such an important mechanic for Zerg. In most cases it makes up 23% of a units’ max speed and enables them to outrun most compositions from the other two factions. Really, the only Zerg ground units that are slower than stimmed Bio on creep are Drones, Queens, Infestors, Swarm Hosts, and Locusts.

4 Likes

I already accounted for these, so you’re just typing all this to show off. I already told you these two are faster on creep.

Roach/ravager/hydra gets hard countered by terran bio and they move slower than terran bio. You could argue they are faster on creep, but for what purpose? Just to play defense and slowly lose? Or to get choked out? Or to die to a turtle?

The terran army is superior with just marine/marauder. Even without medivacs, tanks or mines, the bio army will shred a roach/hydra type army. You don’t even need to tech to beat roach/hydra.

What a stupid comment. Lurkers cannot attack while above ground, so their movement is pointless to point out. Maybe I should start whining about the movement speed of ravens so I can be a crybaby like you terrans?

Ultras are the worst tier 3 unit in the game, and should be removed or extremely buffed, like 2x dps. They are absolutely worthless unless you just want to throw away your lead as zerg. Even bringing this up shows me how low your mmr is.

1 Like

If you are playing as zerg an easy solution agains someone who is doing purely mass mines is to get hydras with range upgrade and overseers but be careful they don’t fly over mines. Hydras with range upgrade can outrange them. However this becomes more of a problem if your opponent has other units like siege tanks and mines.

I know you’re incredibly stupid, so I’ll slowly show you the point. You see WIDOW MINES, go boom and do a lot of damage, they auto lock on, you cannot stop it. They are also invisible. The point of this thread is that they are too strong.

You admit here that they can kill 90% of an army with 1 shot. That is bad design, and you won’t even argue against it. Your argument is just “get good scrub”.

Try to keep up with the conversation, I know it’s hard when you’re a moron who can’t even count. But do try.

The point of bringing up that time period, was because widow mines weren’t invented yet. So terran were dealing with all of those units, and more, with no widow mines. And on top of that, they were winning. So cry more noob.

Do you understand now? Should I get you a coloring book? Maybe a wheelchair and a mohawk so you can look cool like all the other special ed kids?

Says the guy who doesn’t understand math or his own units. Every time you are proven wrong you ignore it or find something else to complain about.

Widow Mines are balanced. They’ve been well-balanced since HOTS, when nerfs to the Widow Mines were attempted only to be reverted when they proved too severe.

Every faction has splash units that can wipe out armies if the opponent fails to micro properly. Lurkers, Widow Mines, Banelings, Disruptors, Siege Tanks, etc. This is neither unusual, nor a problem.

Zergling/Baneling just happens to be the squishiest (and most numerous) composition, so the individual units can get one-shot by some splash sources that take 2 hits to kill Marines. Two-shotting Marines happens to be just as devastating as one-shotting Zergling/Baneling in most cases, and one-shotting Marines is usually more devastating than one-shotting Zerglings or Banelings.

Zerg also didn’t figure out how to spread creep or use Brood Lord + Infestor properly until the last year or two of WOL.

Early WOL was also based on small maps, which made it much easier to kill players with harassment or all-ins before they reached late-game. Hive tech in particular rendered Bio-Tank obsolete, such that games which extended to Hive were almost always Zerg wins.

1 Like

That’s pretty loud coming from a person who don’t know how much 4 * 0.5 is or how much 10 + 12 is.

1 Like

Yes widow mines are fundamentally broken, they are a cheap 5 range 2 supply unit that one-shots most units in the game from cloak, hits air and ground, whose aoe 1 shots workers, lings, and banes, and they do bonus to shields.

And don’t let these terrans fool you, mines actually got buffed in lotv with cheaper drilling claws and -25% build time in exchange for delayed cloak, mind you their production limitations was initially one of their exploitable weaknesses. Then they added the burrow nerf recently.

Any terran complaining about the baneling or lurker needs to take a good long look at the mine, this unit kills units that cost several times its cost on a regular basis and units that live like ultras still get chunked significantly, is good at both single target and splash, air and ground, sit and forget, harass, defense, siege, map control all for the cost of a roach and the production time of a hellion.

4 Likes

Problem with WM will always be the ease of use and value. It’s not that there is no counter to them, it’s that any counter is fundamentally taking more energy, more attention, more moves to accomplish. Which leaves the Terran at a serious advantage. That’s why it’s so clear in the GSL. Pros can deal with them, but Maru will win because there is a loss of energy/value on the other side

2 Likes

How to counter Widow Mine? Just follow this simple guide:

1. Select unit that outranges WM;
  2. A-Click this unit toward WMs;

This is such a hard micro indeed xD

1 Like

Get detection ? It is quite an important step. Let alone the fact that units that outrange WM arent legion.
Meanwhile, the effort of the terran: plant it and…nothing else

1 Like

So…you mass hydras? The worst unit in the game? To counter a tier 1.5 unit and lose to everything else?

Window mines cost the same as a roach 75/25. They’ve got 5x the range, hit air and ground, and are basically an invisible ranged, reusable baneling. Just delete the unit from the game or make it 2x the cost.

2 Likes

That’s funny.

Don’t hydras become lurkers? Don’t you have access to Ravagers? Isn’t Ling Bane Hydra Lurker one of the most used compositions in TvZ, if not the most used compositon in TvZ currently? Is the Hydra not used in every single Z matchup quite successfully?

Yes, to all of the questions I posed.

Sure, it’s more expensive, but it feels like you guys look at the Hydra as if its the same as it was in HotS, where it was a dead end tech that was much weaker. It’s not, and frankly its recieved numerous buffs from then to now. An increase in health, an increase in DPS, and the addition of the Lurker all make the unit incredibly good these days.

3 Likes

if you are playing against WM Terran and don’t morph a couple of Overseers you deserve to loose.

Seriously, if you don’t have vision than WM is the least of your problems.

And also I suggest you to play as a Terran and see for yourslef what happens when you don’t control your WMs (hint: they would kill your own army; unlike everything Zerg, Terran have friendly fire enabled).

News flash: couple of years ago Hydra was buffed and since than ling-bane-hydra has become main Zerg army composition. It trades favorably with MMM+WM Terran which means Zerg have no trouble teching up to Lurkers which would just kill such Terran.

To deal with ling-bane-hydra Terran need either both WM and tanks, or accumulate fist of 7-8 tanks and can’t do anything but harass meanwhile.

2 Likes

Funny…i saw some matches vs showtime where he basically lost vs hydra zergling. And when i say hydra then i mean a lot of hydras.

Its always the same with zergs. They render every single unit useless only because some zerg overlord said its not s+ tier. Every single zerg unit was listed as bad. Ive heard mutas are bad, broodlords are bad, banelings are bad, roaches are bad, hydras are bad, lurkers are bad and if you build them a single time you automatically lose. Thats pathetic. I guess zerg players dont understand that units have different roles and are good or bad vs certain types of units or strats.

2 Likes

The part with hydra is in standard game around ~6min you have lair. then you still need range upgrade, but in most cases speed upgrade is favored.
And when does Terran play WM most of the time? when they play Bio.

Generally hydra/ling/bane allows you to play strong, you have a solid transition into lurker. for ghost/tank you can switch back to HLB.

have also got -1 range nerf.
Shows how much you have to change around to compensate for something like this.

No, it didn’t. It was originally 5 range with an upgrade to 6 range, which then got buffed to a 7 range upgrade, and then reverted back to a 6 range upgrade because it was to strong.

What they did do was add the muscular augments upgrade to hydras as a combined upgrade with their range upgrade, and then subsequently nerfed it by separating it into two upgrades.

3 Likes

Lurkers also got the same treatment. Their range and burrow speed was moved to a n upgrade that requires a hive. And they are slow off creep now. They feel kind of weak now tbh.

2 Likes

Dutch youtuber Harstem being very supportive to Widow Mine whiners:
https://youtu.be/BqNxyVYrd30?t=916

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

hahaha you are such a little weasel. You lie in every single post. Is this what all you gold leaguers do? You just lie instead of getting better? It’s seriously not that hard to get to plat.

Ling/bane/hydra is hard countered by any army with widow mines, learn how to play the game, and maybe you can make it into diamond one day, little buddy.