Why was observer speed nerfed?

Seriously? Lets make an already slow unit slower! This way if you get attacked by DTs or Banshie, and Obs is anywhere, OTHER than right inside your base YOU ARE DEAD! TERRIBLE IDEA! I swear Blizzard hates SC, and is trying to figure out how to ruin the game so no one plays anymore.

8 Likes

IIRC,

because it is hard to reach with beginner units in terms of speed. So even though you can “see” it and then scout/scan it, it might not die. Which apparently is considered lame/too strong in the early game - especially in TvP where protoss can get so greedy with their economy. Feel free to correct the reasoning, but that is what I understood. I hope this helped.

After all a relative simple topic. Nothing more to say.
I wish you more fun in a more balanced game. Keepo.

Because Special and TLO wanted to win tournaments before retiring.

14 Likes

Yeah that nerf made no sense.
The adept nerf was also dumb.
I think having no damage at all on charge might also just be too weak.

Overall the protoss nerfs in the last patch feel really weird and uncalled for.

12 Likes

But hey, at least we got Speed Rays!

Why was the observer speed nerfed? Consider yourself lucky that the observer is even allowed to see non cloaked units, let alone cloaked units.

Next patch, you’re going to be asked to try to counter battle cruisers with observers, and they’re going to make the obs a non cloaked unit, just to let you know “who the man is.” The balance team won’t be satisfied until Stats has to call Bronze 3 Terrans his daddy.

6 Likes

Funny part about this is I literally won a PvP due to this. Went fast charge, got some sick damage in but lost my army so what did I do when I knew I was about to get killed? Dark Shrine. Their obsverver was in my base when 2 DTs with blink snuck into the nat mineral line and the main, blinking past a FF, denying +1 and then sniping the robo before escaping when the slow Observer FINALLY made it back to their base.

Point being, the Observer nerf was dumb and Terrans like Special who cry about not scanning properly and not killing Observers because of their own misplay need to shut it and get better at the game instead of blaming “imbalance” for not scanning the right spot.

2 Likes

At this point I’m surprised they haven’t made the observer energy based like the Oracle lol.

Energy required to detect, to cloak e.t.c.

5 Likes

Not for the Infestor x Adept fan fiction the balance team is writing.

2 Likes

Try not to laugh, here is the actual reasoning for the nerf:

we feel the frustration caused by barely not catching Observers did not make up for the benefits of the speed increase

Hard to believe, right? Well, it’s a quote from the team themselves:

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/23159844
2 Likes

Special was frustrated apparently.

That’s honestly insulting.

Fock the balance team.

1 Like

It takes this bad of a balance change for this community to become this united against it lol

6 Likes

Well, you could also ask:
Why was the observer speed buffed in the first place ?
Back then ,after them added the “Surveillance Mode.(4.0.0)”,
(Patch 4.8.2) I remember .the change came out of nowhere and was received as not “aBigDeal” and “nobody asked for this” … so

It was done because observers are so slow before speed.

can you link a forum or redditdiscussion -or whatever- where someONE -or more- complained about the observer slow speed before 4.8.2)?
im curious

From what I remember, due to Observer’s speed and general usability, Stargate first for Oracle was always a go-to build since Oracle was far better scout; it was much faster, and safer thanks to Revelation being cast from afar.
Buffing Observer also allowed for resurgence of Robo openers, since it now could match Oracle in usefulness when it comes to scouting.

2 Likes

Yes exactly!, This is what i remember was the reasoning behind it - to buff robo openers…
But not because some said the observer is too slow in general

they also decreased the Hallucination energy cost from 100 to 75 (Patch 4.7.1) same reasoning not to rely so heavily on the stargate

They made toss the worse race by far with last patch

2 Likes