Why is Liberator Splash so wide?

As of now, Liberators in mass can counter every Protoss Air Unit there is.

Mass Carriers lose due to losing all their interceptors super quick.

Mass voids lose due to splash.

The splash in Liberators is so high that each shot can hit four tempests that are next to each other. One moment they are fighting well, the next moment you lose four units with each shot.

I can understand Liberators needing splash, as an air-based counter to mutas and phoenixes.

What I dont understand is why they need to be countering Tempests.

If you let Terran get to 15 liberators (which still isn’t enough to even one shot a void ray) then you weren’t aggressive enough.

At least, that’s what I’ve been told every time I point out that Airtoss with HT/Archon support is unbeatable: Don’t let them get there. Sucks right?

2 Likes

If you got to a point where liberators are beating void rays and carriers, chances are you deserve to lose. Tempests are just inherently weak though. They nerfed the AA so that it would never be likely that you use liberators to beat other air units. It’s like vikings… Vikings can shoot ground, but they aren’t meant for that, so if you’re losing to mass viking on the ground… Well I’m sure you can see what I’m trying to say

2 Likes

While I personally despise the Liberator from an artistic perspective, it’s not an overpowered unit.

I’ve seen this before. What happens is these platinum/low dia protoss don’t know about the existence of protoss ship armor upgrades.

They end up fighting +3 terran libs with +0 skytoss, ends up with basically early lotv level of imba lib AA.

@DukeCodimus you need to get air armor upgrade.

2 Likes

Liberators don’t have anti air, what are you talking about?

They do,but you have to be playing no rush 20 and let your opponent get 50 of them.

1. You’re not forced to 1v1 as mono-battles. Basically pure skytoss only work under a certain level, above that threshold you’ll need splash to complement it. Toss have one that works even better on Liberators than VRs.
  2. Microing your voidrays isn’t forbidden. They can be split the same way mutas do against thors. Well spread voidrays will beat liberators and thors alike.

Mutas only actually. Phoenixes’ bulkiness and speed prevent liberators to be efficient before they reach critical mass, and then their range upgrade and speed basically make them as much a hardcounter to liberators than they are to mutalisks.

They require micro though.

Which is quite normal since they don’t. :slight_smile:

Because Terran is weak and needs a buff

Not anymore at least…but for many tears they were absurdly overpowered…there’s a reason why it’s the most nerfed unit in all of StarCraft history lol.

These days; they’re totally manageable and only Protoss struggles vs massed Liberators since they’ve no vs air splash damage (Liberator smart fire will kill HT ASSAP without micro and Archon range is so low that for the to get close you need a LOT of Stalkers or other Archons to tank the shots) that’s effective (Zerg have PB and Terran have Ravens, Marines, Thors).

Most skytoss players ive played are 70 apmers. I’m not kidding … they wouldnt even think of control and just clump everything in 1 a move and expect to win 100% . They did win in 2018 like that… Imagine what it felt to lose from such low apm 60… the die inside