Why do we have neutral units on maps?

They only exist to block the building space. Why do we even have them on ladder maps? I hope Microsoft will remove them from the next map pool

2 Likes

I also hate them. I had a bunch of banelings try and blow up one of them instead of hitting a mineral line last night.

They suck. They need to be unclickable.

Seems like you answered your own question.

Thats not how corporate hierarchies work.

One word: decoration

1 Like

Maybe makmakers should use it as a source of resource like if you kill the unit it would yield 200 mineral and 200 gas. Of course, it has to be picked up by workers into a nearby Hatch/Nex/CC.

I dont know, its just a wild implementation maybe for decorative purpose I guess.

I only mind them when they can be interacted with.

I’ve a-clicked onto cleaning bots by accident before, it sucks…

they actually have made me rage, like why is my pool down 2 seconds later than it should? something on the map ? NO NO NO NO NO. that should NOT BE A THING in a game where timing matters… there shouldn’t be little things blocking you that aren’t the enemy

I remember a Warcraft 2 map that was mostly bare save for some resources, start locations, and SHEEP EVERYWHERE.
Funny, but probably would not work in Starcraft 2 engine.

1 Like

Yeah. Just saw dark attack a cleaning bot instead of an adept.

Neutral units like this shouldn’t be allowed in GSL maps.

1 Like

What a pile of crappy opinions and exaggerations

1 Like

To move ‘out of the way’ of your expansion by blocking it from the bottom left corner to the top right corner.

To hasten development of carpal tunnel when players spam click on them to get rid of it without removing a worker from mining.

To absorb an attack volley during a surprise engagement by moving under your a-click.

To distract you with movement in your peripheral vision when expecting harassment.

Etc.

Neutral units should be allowed on maps, but they should be unclickable and not have any interaction in the game outside of visual - no blocking attacks, no preventing building placement, nothing. They help bring the game to life, and I think that’s important.

Neutral units add a small amount of RNG which otherwise there isn’t much of in SC2.