Who's your main commander(s)?

https://strawpoll.com/a6ah4z5g
Hi, wanted to have a vague idea on who are the favourite commanders at least for ppl who visit the forums.

Please vote and feel free to elaborate your decision if you feel to.

My 3 mains:

(1)Stukov: my absolute main, for lore, for what he was and he became, his calldowns, his theme and original skins. I also like some of his unit comps (not all). I feel confident when I play him even carrying some less experienced allies.

(2)Swann: for his theme, his drill, his drones, his imo many viable unit comps. Full wraiths, full cyclones + hellions or full goliaths. All supported by sci-vessels. I also love his expensive calldowns and feel pretty confident too when playing him.

(3)Talandar/Fenix: the lord of variety on unit comps. I can go full air, full ground, mixed, just heroes, just one type, etc. Free gas-structures, and huge resource saver. I always float on both resources on late games when also reach 200/200. Not calldowns but strong and versatile hero, nice mobility, he has all tools for victory. Confident here too.

Well I like many others too like Abby, Vora, Zag, etc but don’t consider them my mains.

3 Likes

My mains also happen to be my all time favorites…

However, there are exceptions…

1. When I get new COs, I tend to play them in-depth. In this case, I’ve been playing HH and Vorazun almost exclusively since they’re my most recent ones I’ve leveled to Ascension. Even though I got Stukov as a 2nd set of COs, I’m playing him as if he were new due to his revamp to “2.0”.

2. I tend to stick with Swann and Karax for Mutations, although for the Die Together/#163 Mutation, I probably should’ve tried with Vorazun to see if that would’ve affected much.

3. If I’m short on time (e.g. 4 hours or less), then I tend to stick with my mains or what’s "trending. If I have more time (5 to 14 hours), then I will try to go through as much of my roster as possible (currently, also Abathur, Tychus, Zer, Zagara. Purchased Stetmann, but he’s only on lv2)

2 Likes

I have all commanders at level 15. But the only commander i could play all day is godzilla errm dehaka.
And he also has everyones favourite giant magma wurm on his side. No. Not you Magma Sally. Sush. Get out. Noone likes you.
Of course i mean Glevik which is, if used right, one of the, if not the most effective and unbalanced calldown in the game.

4 Likes
  1. Artanis: Stuck with him since the initial release of co-op. Diverse unit comps, high micro potential armies, impactful macro, incredible flexibility and reaction time with instant warp powerfield, and the best ultimate ability in the game.
  2. Swann: Very satisfying macro curve, very forgiving of overspecialized armies due to the laser drill, and extremely high octane damage units.
  3. Toss up between Fenix/Nova. Heroes who can easily adapt to comp and map, and can work alone and in the army very well. Very fast to get power onto the field.
4 Likes

I only play Tychus. Aside from loving the concept, it allows me to enjoy coop without being stressed out building and commanding a giant army and a lot of buildings.

He also has the BESTEST Medic. But I’ve never in my life said that before…

2 Likes

i have no main commander. i am using whichever commander i decide to use.

4 Likes
  1. Karax. Even though I’ve been having a hard time enjoying him lately, I always kept playing the phase smith in the hopes I could make him work better. He still feels frustrating from time to time though.
  2. Fenix. The robot that taught me there are commanders a hella more enjoyable than Karax. Although he feels a bit unidimensional sometimes I still feel like he is very comfortable to play and I like how his army looks.
  3. Dehaka. I just love the fool. Things don’t work well sometimes but he’s really fun to play, I like his Igniters and Tyrannozors a lot, and love the mechanics. Probably most comfortable commander to play for me.

Also, been warming up to Han and Horner lately.

5 Likes
  1. Abathur. Favorite character ever since the HotS campaign, really like his playstyle of creating the big beasts to spearhead his army, fortifying areas and paths with his mines and having a solid economy. He’s also very versatile and good for carrying weaker allies on just about any map.

2. Artanis. A very straight-forward commander who makes up for a lack of flashy abilities or units with strong fundamentals; he can start making an army very quickly without needing to tech up much or expand, but can still do those things if desired, good calldowns for handling emergencies, and Guardian Shell is always useful for all allies. Also helps that dropping a bunch of speed-boosted Immortals onto enemies is still some of the most fun this game can offer, it never gets old.

3. Kerrigan. Yaaaas queen. Loved her in Brood War, still loved her in SC2 despite some writing wonkiness, she would be my main if Abathur didn’t exist. Only reason she’s not #2 is because her early game is a little vulnerable (i.e. before her initial spawn) and she has to tech up and research upgrades a lot before her army is optimal. But the hero unit herself is still so powerful and so much fun to micro, and she has the iconic Hydralisks and Ultralisks as her main army, so slow to get going, but once she does it’s a blast.

3 Likes

Fenix because of flexibility and the ability to play what’s essentially ladder toss.

Tychus because i like easy games sometimes

vora because i love deleting ground units with DT’s

3 Likes

Zagara. I love being able to produce an army in seconds and using half of them like expendable bombs.

I just wish she had better anti-air.

3 Likes

Tychus because he’s easy and calm and not stressful and quite OP
Kerrigan because you don’t even need anything besides Kerrigan and a bunch of worms if you want.
Stukov is next due to his ability to snowball the game with 3 buildings

3 Likes

These are in order by roughly how often I play them. Commanders not listed I do not play.

Terran: Swann, Raynor, Han and Horner, Nova, Tychus

Zerg: Kerrigan, Abathur, Zagara

Protoss: Artanis, Fenix, Karax, Vorazun

Top 3, would be Swann, Kerrigan and Artanis in no particular order.

2 Likes

For me it would be:

Raynor: The combination of his crazy economy and skills based unit comps makes him super rewarding for me to play. Bonus points for after the rework where his mechs went from an after thought to actually quite powerful, giving him some much needed variety.

Fenix: The ability to ignore the tech tree is an interesting concept. He’s super adaptable, and can play many different ways depending on your mood.

Nova: A deathball if used right, terribly slow recovery if done wrong. Along with being able to delete waves with various methods, she rewards good play and well thought out compositions.

Special mention goes to Swann, a close fourth.

1 Like

Wut? Scourge aren’t good enough for you?

Scourge require a whole other tech path, and they’re single use. At least banelings are free so you can just treat them as another one of Zagara’s attacks, but Scourge require both Larva and recourses that could be going to something that’s good for more than one attack.

Corrupters stay around longer, but aren’t that great when it comes to damage.

Zagara either needs a ground unit that can hit air, or an air unit that has the durability and damage to justify teaching into them.

In brutation, My main is Abathur.

After I learn how to early obtain 6 ultimate evo in all map from Yuriprime, I use Abathur to easily finish every single mutation.

6 ulti evo + 6 queen + 3 viper + 6 devourer(or 6 guardian if i face ground) can clear entire map no matter what mutation I face.

In non mutation, I main Abathur, Dehaka, Nova.

3 Likes

Have the same feelings with Kerri, exept Polarity and heavy-air.

Random. He is the best one.

2 Likes

Yeah… voted on all. Might of skewed the data a bit but also wish there had been a choice for random.

Lol Karax is not loved as usual.

You’re vastly underestimating how good scourges are dude. And if you want sustainability in armies pick a different commander. The entire point of Zagara is that she is constantly trading her army with the enemy.

5 Likes