Which is better? Void Ray or Destroyer?

According to the video, their power is pretty much similar.
Link: Starcraft 2 Which is Better? Void Ray vs Destroyer? - YouTube

Another experiment was run of 36 supply destroying 2,000 HP Rock.
Link: Starcraft 2 Which is Better? Void Ray vs Destroyer? (Part 2) - YouTube (Part 2)

With no power, Destroyer wins with 23HP remaining
With full power, Void Rays wins with 40HP remaining

Despite pros and cons of each units as well as commander’s synergy with them, I personally think Destroyers are better than Void Rays due to their easier mobility (Vorazun have them too but trickier than Mothership), compensating factors against their weakness (Psionic Orb/Destruction Wave) and especially resource/supply costs.

I think I’ve seen more Destroyer compositions recently more than I’ve seen Vorazun’s Void Ray compositions in previous years or it could be just me (Some consider Void Ray compo as a “niche composition”).

Also I think the two’s specialty is pretty much the same as “anti-armour”, I think Destroyers should be geared towards “anti-swarm” due to multi-attacks.

If I want some change, I would most certainly have Void Rays to move more quicker and charge faster. It would also be nice if Dark Pylon can grant temporary cloaking to any units after leaving their area.

I am not sure what exactly to think about this but constructive feed backs will be much appreciated.

you don’t compare those directly because they belong to different commanders.

You compare units against other units the commander has.

Destroyers are also cheaper, easier to mass, and requires no infrastructures.

Meanwhile, Vorazun mass rays directly competes against DT Crosairs which is the strongest comp Vorazun has.

1 Like

Destroyers with Alarak support are better in my eyes. The reason - you get your AA + those tickle beams can deal with swarmy comp + Alarax himself can deal with swarms.

While Voidrays are better for single target, these days we get mixed army comps, something like lings with air support becomes an issue for just Voids and need additional tech.

Comparing Destroyers to Void Rays is like Apples to Oranges. Yes, they are fruit, but they bring different things to the table, with some overlap.
Yes, they are both Anti-Armor. Yes, they are both fliers. Yes, they are both Void Rays at their core. However, their roles are completely different.
Void Rays are single target “Charge up” units that excel at melting large, armored targets. Destroyers are the opposite; They are an anti-armor AoE unit that excels at wave clearing quickly through their chip damage. They do not charge up, and work better against waves than single target.

Don’t forget Black Hole, with bonus defence negating effect. Time Stop as well, though to a lesser extent.

1 Like

Destroyers are better. You can’t change my mind! Hmph! :triumph:

2 Likes

Them’s nerfin’ words.

1 Like

Time for Dehaka Burger to make new coop COs for us and play on custom!

1 Like

Something is wrong with the Voidray. I saw it slows down several times when it charging up.

Strangely, the charging animation of Void Ray seemed to be limited to 2 instead of 3 but there is no error, that was its full power.

Void Ray with 3 charge is stronger than Destroyer but just barely.

Thanks for believeing in me but I am sad to tell I’m just not as good man :frowning:

Tweaking units is all I can do, programming, coding, modifying triggers I just can’t do them (too hard to learn).

It’s just that Destroyers are so comparatively flexible than Void Rays in almost every way including the dps (from how I see). Each Mutalisks from zerg commanders have edge of their own as well as disadvantages but Void Rays to me seem to lack its own edge, it is simply bulkier/expensive version of Destroyer (to be fair you have to grind Alarak).
IMO, Void Rays can become substantially better if its speed increased as well as improving Dark Pylon cloaking quality as I mentioned above (5~8 second cloaking), that way it have more synergy with quality and strategy rather than simply increasing its damage (it would work great with Spirit of Respite).

I have to run some experiments, I ran a test using maximum of 36 supplies with Destroyers (12) /Void Rays (9) with full upgrade and have them break 2,000 HP rock. They are just too similar in power in anti-armour, each of their speciality is kind of blurred (in terms of cost efficiency and mastery efficiency Destroyer slightly has an edge).
Link: https://youtu.be/zgCbC0jkBFk

As of now they are more like orapple and applerange in terms of performance.
I wish that both of them would be more stark in their edge rather than having relatively similar performance. Have Void Rays stay powerful as anti-armour and Destroyers more geared towards anti-light and swarm.

True that.

No. I mean Voidray’s attack speed was slowed several times when it start charging up.

Can you confirm if having a Havoc in a Warp Prism with your Destroyers actually increases their range? I tried it but its hard to tell. Thanks!

Yes, it increases their range. Anything that is allied and within Squad Sight range will get a range increase. It will even show on the unit’s attack stats.

1 Like

How would you compare them in the campaign? (I’m done with the Void 10th anniversary achievements, but I might play it again one day.)

destroyers are 3 pop while having stats more similar with a 4 pop unit along with a very cheap production price.

purely because of that they are performing somewhat okay since they are easier to mass in greater numbers.

keep em away from parasitic bomb and other AOE, and keep alarak fed with supplicants or else…

1 Like

haha death fleet go brrrr
Takes one bad engagement
Hey, where did everybody go?

where did everybody go is always the question when I hold down that C button

1 Like

I the campaign Void rays are sooo much better than Destroyers imo