When to choose Colossus over other splash damage units?

I’ve been playing Starcraft with my friends every so often. Protoss has I believe 4 types of splash damage units, such as Colossus, Disruptor, Archon, and High Templar.

High Templar are preferred for zoning out the opponent with gradual damage. Good for swarms.
Disruptors are preferred for breaking siege lines for delayed damage. Good for defensive opponents from a distance.
Archons are preferred for tightly clumped units with instant damage. Good for swarms.

When is the Colossus preferred? It seems to me like the Colossus’ specialty is covered by the other 3 units combined, except more prone to being focus targeted by anti-air and is weaker attack-wise in general.

I’ve read that it can only be used when the opponent has no anti-air, but even then it can be out-shined by the other units at a better cost efficiency.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I think that Colossus is great against any terran bio and versus roaches or hyrdas.
Specially if u have zealots or archons in front because Colossi deals damage in specific manner - wide spread but not deep, making ont grat when marines line up to shoot (or hydras etc).
Also, researched termal lance is must have, so you could avoid target firing ur colossi.

GLHF

The Colossus is good for providing splash that your opponent cannot out micro. Essentially it provides a layer of stability in your splash so that if you miss with a storm or a disruptor, you are still utilizing splash. I wouldn’t get more than 2-3, but they are worth getting. I can go into a bit more detail if needed, but basically Protoss should plan to actually produce at least 3/4 of those splash units in most games.

Its pretty simply

Marines, banelings, zerglings: colossi
Anything armored or tagless: templar, disruptor (with ravagers you can sometimes play a bit with colossi but disruptor is generally better)
Hydras: can pick either templar or colossi
Air units: templar

Honestly templar in a prism are about as good as multiple colossi

Problem is how easy it is to target down that prism.