What threats are left for a SC3?

Saw somewhere where someones uncle’s cousin’s roommate’s sister’s grandma works at Blizzard and said they’re definitely probably going to make another StarCraft.

Not sold on it being a thing.

But it did get me thinking that if it were a thing, what could the bad guys be?

Stettman’s robo swarm could be an issue. So could the UED. Maybe the Tal’darim?

Any other known threats?

There’s always room for conflict between the existing factions.

Beyond that, there are multiple antagonists who still remain. Niadra was last seen plotting against the Protoss in Shadow Wars. Ulrezaj was imprisoned in a Khadarin Crystal in The Dark Templar Saga but is still a threat. The Voice From the Darkness is still at large as is Gestalt Zero, both from Frontline. Ezekial Daun from Devil’s Due is imprisoned but still alive. Tamsen Cauley from the WildStorm comics is also still at large. And then you’ve got whatever was communicating to Stetmann as “Bel’Shir”. Finally, the UED is certainly a favorite that fans would love to see make a big return.

I think the villains from the books and comics would work better if their threats remained in those forms but that doesn’t mean they can’t figure into the games. If there is a StarCraft sequel or spin-off I think it would work best to focus on new antagonists(and probably at least some new protagonists as well) but some of them can be part of factions like the UED, Tal’Darim, or Niadra’s Brood.

As far as the likelihood goes: Almost all the RTS people have left Blizzard. There are some people who specialize in RTS at Microsoft studio World’s Edge and Microsoft and Blizzard have also collaborated with external studios like Relic Entertainment and PlaySide Games before. Microsoft seems to be interested in the StarCraft IP but I think a spinoff into another genre is a lot more likely than an actual SC3. Regardless, the acquisition of Activision Blizzard was only a few months ago so don’t expect to hear any announcements for a handful of years.

I liked this theory-crafting thread for a reversal where you are the one playing the main antagonist.

Abathur.
Cannonically he attempted to reignite the three race war because he thought that no war lead to evolutionary decay/halt of it from the zerg.
Others was already mentioned here.

Did this happen after Amon was defeated?

Yes, those events took place after Amon was destroyed by Kerrigan.

An Abathur campaign could be interesting.,