What made you love Starcraft?

So I’m curious about what got you into Starcraft and what made you fall in love with it?

Was it the campaign, lore, or maybe a specific character?

Was it a specific race, the redneck Terran, warrior Protoss, or swarm bugs Zerg?

or perhaps you don’t care about sci-fi or lore at all, and just got into it because you like strategy games and pro level play?

It could be another reason like a friend forced you to play, but curious to know how you guys got in.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting question. In my case were all that you mentioned as well as a sense of power in building and directing armies in the battle.

2 Likes

Right at the beginning I learned a cheese opening with each race and found it so fun to ruin people’s days with them.

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That is a more than valid reason, i guess i troll some scumbags here just for that kind of fun.

Yea, that is not too different to trolling, i don’t get why people are upset when cheesed (or trolled).

1 Like

A little cheese adds flavor to most things.

2 Likes

goes way back to starcraft 1, and how the whole chat interface worked, the game lobbies, when you did /stats and all that is was addicting to see what you were up against before hand or to stat match against to see if it was going to be an even match or not before beginning… it was an extremely interactive ladder system and it allowed you to play the games you wanted, i loved it.

same with the ums maps, they were fun and interactive and there were so many different cool options created my users themselves… v-tec paintball was my JAM… the micro wars in that were insane ! haha…

for sc2 1v1 ladder has been my thing mostly, it has been ever evolving up til this point and it has been a fun ride, slightly unfortunate scenario going on with protoss but whatever, it’s really not the worst it could be !

4 Likes

I literally grew up alongside this game. I played it on and off throughout my life. Sad to see it go down like this…

2 Likes

I like the concept of ideas vs ideas and having the better one win out, given equal skill as an opponent. In such an arbitrary and biased world, it helps keep a person sane. Unfortunately… no one else seems to be interested in doing anything besides w/e the next guy does… and most seem pretty insane and oblivious. Go figure.

Iloveoov was really cool, too. If only he could get to beat boxer every day and make sad boxer fans even more sad.

1 Like

I’ve given it some thought and I’ve come to the conclusion the answer is: everything. The concept of building a base. The campaign. Multiplayer. The soundtrack(the soundtrack of a game is half the reason I play most of the games I play). The e-sports scene.

2 Likes

It’s hard to top Starcraft’s soundtrack.

I started playing because I wanted to play a competitive rts. Even age of empires is not close to starcraft series.

2 Likes

At 1st; raw obsession lol.

Now? I just like competing against myself for efficiency in a format that introduces a huge wild card variable (the opponent).

4 Likes

I love StarCraft because of a few things. The Campaign (story) was Awesome - as it is become a little dated I still love it. I hope that they make a SC III. I love the competitiveness with the Latter and tournaments that it transition into (from SC 1). Being able to play with your friends over internet is always the top reason to play - as it always about the good times!!!

All in all this is the best RTS.

2 Likes

It is not. Though I like the Starcraft soundtrack, there are many better ones out there.
Here are a few examples:
-Command & Conquer 1, 2, Red Alert 1 and 2 (all 4 of them had some of the best game music ever made)
-Warcraft 2
-Total Annihilation
-Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
-Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
-Heroes of Might & Magic 3 and 4
-Diablo 1 and 2

And these are just a few. The Starcraft soundtrack, even though good on it’s own, is not even amongst the best in gaming.
Soundtracks have been one of the most developed parts of the gaming experience, for decades. Many game’s soundtracks are a tough act to follow, let alone best, and Starcraft just does not get there, sadly.

It is not. Starcraft BW is great, 2 is decent, but I have played much better RTS games.

I fell in love with the Protoss, specifically the use of crystals in warfare. I just like the theme and wish there was more fantasy races like them. I also love the story, despite what people say about the story, SC2 was the first videogame I played as a kid that had a real kickbutt story and theme. Going from age of empires3 to starcraft2 was a massive shift in theme and tone.

2 Likes

Apex. Apex RoLePlAy.

2 Likes

The story model is the best hope they made more story

2 Likes

My dad got it and subsequently introduced me to it when I was 5 or something. I grew up playing it, and I remember I enjoyed it more than any other computer game I had played for years. Warcraft 3 and BFME were good but nowhere near as good as Starcraft 1. Starcraft 2 was amazing when it released but I mostly stuck with SC1.

SC1 had a wonderful art style, a good soundtrack, and a campaign I played time and time again as a little kid. It has kept me playing since I discovered it.

I also have never really been one to do PvP so balance is not my primary concern. This being said I find it likely I will continue to enjoy SC1 and 2 as long as blizzard lets me play them.

2 Likes

being able to select more than 12 units

1 Like

New SC2 player here, barely even 2-digit levels, only two co-op commanders at 15. My friend recently got me into this game specifically by calling in a favor since she’d reluctantly tried a game blind by my recommendation. No regrets so far! My favorite part of this game so far is the theorycraft.

Despite only having 3 races in Standard Versus, the tech tree is so wide that you can theorycraft so many different strategies. I’ve seen Thor rush, Widow Mine Hell, and Bio just from Terran alone. It’s crazy seeing what people come up with and it feels like you can really tell players apart based just on playstyle.

I’m primarily a co-op player myself so far just because I’m sure that at this stage of the game’s life everyone still playing Versus has like 4x my APM, but even then there are so many strategies and synergies there in commanders that I’ve had no shortage of things to try when pushing new difficulties with my friends, which also ties into my love for challenging PvE content. I’ve taken the time to learn Han and Horner’s opening down to the frame, and I just picked up learning Fenix today.

Region/general chat is about as much of a cesspool as you’d expect for any blizzard game, but beyond that the threads I’ve read in the co-op forum feel very welcoming, without really any commander judged by the community as far as I’ve seen (Aside from obligatory tier list threads, which have told me how flexible play can be.)

Overall, it’s just been fun exploring all the different interactions and strategies this game has, and expanding my toolbox and game knowledge to try all kinds of new stuff, cheese or no. I’ve been lucky enough that everyone I’ve played with has been tolerant at worst, and actively encouraging at best to that end.

I’m going to be playing through the campaigns soon to finally learn the lore of the commanders I’ve been playing after letting my friend tell me stories about why Fenix looks the way he does, or what the difference between the blue, green, and red protoss are. I’m already interested, so I’m real excited for it.

2 Likes