What highly niche/under used/never used unit do you wish was used/better?

Niche’s meaning is closer to specialty than to constrained

I might play Swann if he were P3 already

I’m going to add Karax’s Mirage. He’s got better options vs ground.

Perhaps, for those who failed English. For everyone else:

• a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service.
    “he believes he has found a niche in the market”
  • denoting products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.
    “other companies in this space had to adapt to being niche players”
  • an area or position that is exactly suitable for a small group of the same type:
    an ecological niche

In any case, you could just have read the title or even the opening post!?

Recently, had bad experiences with lurkers/widow mines, where the freshly build ones accidentally end up joining the army and looking for free hugs from the enemy.
I wish they could at least have the decency, when they are A-moved, to burrow when in range from an enemy, could make them survive long enough to be used properly, and thus make them more useable on the long go.

1 Like

And yet, I still prefer the old Wraiths

rarely see Tempests in game

1 Like

Wraiths are fantastic units in a lot of scenarios. In dead of night for instance, you can one-shot the small buildings with ~16 wraiths, which is easily obtainable even if you build turrets and tanks to defend

Make Abathur Nydus Worms provide free biomass once per minute

2 Likes

You literally just agreed with me. Be careful about assuming you know something. In any case, it is OP’s misuse of the word

Niche means specialized, as you said :joy: not underused because obsolete or whatever.

For example:

• We use Strike Goliaths, because their niche is anti air

• We don’t spam only Strike Goliaths, because their niche is anti air. We cannot make do easily with only the Strike Goliaths we have from P0.

• Because for balance they have been designed to specialize in anti air - their niche is anti air

Though we can now through sheer mass with P1 :joy: , still need some accoutrements to work smoothly but thems the breaks

As for myself, I nominate Emperor’s Shadows

It’s nice to have so many options for Mengsk; it was kind of a farewell of sorts and last hurrah for the devs, and they are fun. But they are vastly outclassed by artillery, as well as brute force of the other units

Tactical Missile never got its time to shine. Perhaps a full balancing pass over a year would’ve made something happen

Honestly speaking, Shadows are Mengsk’s most OP unit. Those who don’t use it are either too lazy to do any minor bit of micro for them (which is sad when their abilities are autocast…) or simply have never bothered to even try them. They’re ghosts on crack.

IIRC, you really need them to be on lv3 to shine right? But then again, you would only need a handful of them (say 3 to 4)?

Few different scenarios:

• can build 1-2 and not have Lockdown on autocast so you always have it available to drain casters/dominators
  • can build 3-4 and have all/most abilities on autocast depending on enemy comp
  • can mass Ghost (with probably some Aegis Guard as well) against probably primarily Zerg comps
  • can build 1 just to land the Nukes from the 10-20 silos you build (especially effective vs Double Edge to wipe attack waves with Intercessor micro)

-Widow mines from h&h.
-Hellions (why dont they have fire on the move in coop??)
-Vanguards from alarak (phenomenal brain dead unit for afk attack moving Ground Amon while watching a stream on second screen).
-Infestors (utterly absent in coop).

• thors and ravens.

The general consensus is 4 Shadows, yes. If I’m memeing with mass Shadow/Aegis then I’ll get more, or if I have free supply I’ll add in another pair. They’re amazing vs every race combination.

I think I saw a vid somewhere of them being used well, but I think that was just nukes? Do you happen to have any for the different methods/situations since there might be some good things I can learn.

If it’s still about those of H&H, then no: now that the death effect mastery is fixed, hellions are a much better friend for everyone than before……killing your friends yourself if you’re starved for a buff is ok right?

Yes I’ll even make an effort to send a few Hellions to move-command follow my allies army if I have the presence of mind to do so and feel like my ally would know to kill them when required.

EMP drains energy and shields on top of stunning any Mechanical unit it hits – even BCs.
Pyrokinetic Blast can tear entire biological waves apart.

EMP is amazing vs Mech/Sky Terran and Protoss in general. An absolute must have vs Hybrid Dominators.
Pyrokinetic Blast tears MMM Terran and all of Zerg to shreds. EMP is especially good vs Vipers as it can one shot them if they are on full energy.

2 Likes