What do you guys think of Karax's Templar Apparent Prestige?

Aren’t Shield Batteries along with Reconstruction Beam enough for anything that isn’t a nuke? For nukes you just use Orbital Strike, pretty sure it even bypasses the point defense drones.

Prestiges are probably not supposed to be viable for all mutations.

I think, like mastery (but more so) you are supposed to customize your commander to deal with specific weekly/custom mutations.
(That does ruin Brutal+…until either mutator veto or loading screen customization is added)

(For Karax Brutal+ probably P0 or P3 give the best flexibility)

1 Like

You can still survey the observer and build structures near the ramp. Ghosts will stop and nuke clustered areas and use your SoA to deal with them. Or just save a few warp-ins, as you should.

Well not quite, but you have a point. With batteries his cannons are much more useful than orther protoss commanders cannons.

But to compensate for this, they could make the prestige so that batteries wont heal structures any more… i mean with the P2 prestige right now, healing unit shields is their sole purpose anyway.

True, but cannons are much more convenient and cost no top bar energy, which you will have to spend, since you wont have warp in charges ready at all times.

Every commander has a simple solution for stopping single cloaked gosts… even H&H can just use a missile turret and a widdow mine.

Besides this… every commander had an anti air static defense that also has detection in the past. And now, every commander still has that with every prestige… except karax P2. I don’t think it is good to break from that norm.

Yes, but none of them have observers available at -40%, which are essentially equivalent to the price of a missile turret at that point. It’s not much of a difference from building static defense.

The difference is that you actually have to go and look at the ghost, kill it, and then go back to whatever you were doing. As opposed to “oh it’ll die automatically so whatever”.

Maybe bump up the cost of Static D instead of outright removing it?

Sure. Photon cannons cost 500 minerals. :upside_down_face:

Observer price is unaffected by the prestige… just like probes. At least that’s what i read, haven’t payed attention in game honestly. But even if it did… observers cost gas… cannons don’t.

Zeratul has observers that cost 0 supply, oversee about 500% as much area as karax observers and his cannons cost much more minerals than karaxs… and still, when playing zeratul the goto solution to ghosts is just putting a cannon on top of the ramp.

Observers are a combat unit, probes aren’t, hence being included when using F2. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be discounted unless it’s expressly stated. With P2, they would cost 15 minerals and 45 gas. By the time you even need ghost detection, that’s a drop in the bucket. And all you have to do is notice the giant HERE COMES A NUKE icon and drop a couple solar beams on it. It’s about as easy as using cannons and it’s free.

2 Likes

You can start asking your partner to defend in dead of night :joy:

Immortal / energizer build, spam shadow cannon like the Yamato with BCs. Add some colossuses or carriers depending on enemy comp, then u are good.

Yeah but that is exactly the point: every commander and prestige IS the same in that regard. Every commander has a static defense structure with detection.

Even H&H has. Didn’t you ask yourself why? Why did they decide to give H&H missile turrets when they decided to remove all other static defenses? That has to have been a purposely made decision.

Maybe early detection for “we move unseen” or maybe to be able to play “missile command”.

Whatever the reason, this similarity is about as widespread as the necessity to mine minerals. Its there for all commanders, prestoiges, coop, ladder… hell it us there since the beginning of SC1 running on a 60MHz pentium CPU. Deviating from this kind of general symetry for just for the sake of having a difference is a bad design decision. It should better have a really good reason behind it as well as no other possible solution, that won’t break that symetry.

And as far as i can see, there are very obvious and straight forward solution that do not have this problem.

It takes 2 Orbital Strikes worth 10 energy total to kill 1 Ghost. Not being able to handle the minimal amount of actions it takes to put an Observer in stationary mode and cast Orbital Strike twice is a problem with the user, not the Prestige.

All 3 of Karax’s Prestiges are pretty much perfect.

1 Like

Right, that’s what I’m saying. The simple solution is just to use observer and SoA.

People complained about the inconvenience HH not having a static that deals with ghosts like others.

The fact of matter is that not every commander or prestige will play the same. So use the tools provided. Yes, Cannon is easier and more standard for everyone but the prestige’s point is to take that away. Frankly, it’s just a straight buff without any real consequences.

If a player will get nuked, they will get nuked. Having cannon available isn’t going to change, if we are keeping it real.

2 Likes

I didn’t say they didn’t. I said there’s no reason they should if they’re classified as a combat unit. Seems like an oversight to me. Either way, are you saying the difference of 10 minerals and 30 gas is what prevents P2 Karax from dealing with nukes? Cannons are 150 minerals, are stationary, and don’t stealth.

Perhaps for Karax p2 they should make photon cannons cost 200% more and no Kaywhatever monoliths.

So if you want you can spend 300 min on a simple photon cannon that will pewpew the ghosts automatically.

Well Observers don’t get the 30% cost increase for Karax P0,1,3
Admitedly “Combat unit” can be a bit vague…but usually if it has attack it is combat (F2 selection seems different)

And “Eliminate the option” makes the Prestige much better/ore interesting than “more expensive”

The reason I don’t like that idea is that I find it interesting that P2 encourages using shield batteries aggressively, being your only mineral dump. It’s a change of pace, especially since it’s the only commander that has them. It also forces you to really make use of your army and topbar instead of falling back into old ways of spamming cannons. Adding them would undermine that design choice too much, I think. Once you’re capped on supply, you could be floating thousands of minerals and could still make set-and-forget cannon walls.

Also, remember that his batteries still get that ability to create a damage shield. Does anyone know if that works on all races and not just protoss? I only just unlocked him after prestiges were added. That alone is a good reason to spam batteries. Maybe also extend that to mechanical units with P3 or something to make them more unique with the prestige.

I hardly believe that the shield ability works on units, should be only on buildings.

It doesn’t. Just checked. I was going to edit the post, but of course someone comes to correct it before I get the chance. :upside_down_face:

Wasn’t there a mastery before, that reduced price by 30%? Is 10% more makes a huge difference despite the disadvantage, or is it because of the all buffs he received after they removed that mastery?
Haven’t played Karax in years, so just curious why all of sudden everyone is excited for this :slight_smile: