Vorazun Withering Siphon - Heroic units?

I was trying out the Vorazun prestige Withering siphon and the description says that Void Stasis et al affect heroic units, but when I tried I was told “cannot target heroic unit”. That doesn’t seem right.

Also, I can’t actually figure out if the Dark Archon’s confusion ability is affecting heroic units, I feel like it isn’t but the visual isn’t very clear and was hard to pin down in the middle of battle.

It is working against heroic.

If you’re trying to mind control heroic then that won’t work.

All of the P2 changed ability will damage them just fine.

2 Likes

I just played a game, I couldn’t manually cast the DT’s void stasis on Hybrids, though weirdly it looked like an autocast void stasis did hit one hybrid once. I got “Cannot target heroic units” when I tried to cast it manually.

As for confusion, it did check out, I confirmed it working on a Hybrid Behemoth last time must have just not landed.

All of Vorazun’s status effects can and do work on heroic units but not Mind Control for obvious reasons.

Then I’m not sure what I’m doing, because every time I try to cast the DT’s void stasis on a Hybrid it give me “cannot target heroic units” message and doesn’t work. I literally just played another game to confirm it.

Probably Void Stasis of regular DTs also don’t work, as well as Mind Control.
But Void Stasis of Shadow Guards works from autocast, I think.

Note that those 5 CC (crowd control) abilities say they “may affect heroic units”. So it sounds like a “roll of the dice”, so at any given instance you check, it may or may not work

Are you manually targeting them? I guess the whole “may” is throwing a wrench into the works. Either you’ll need to keep trying, or it may be as someone else posted and it’s only possible to try via autocast.

Does Void Statis in P0 ever works on normal units?

I thought you can only use Void Statis on static defense.

1 Like

Void Prism via Oracles? Yes. Note that they all only work on ground units.

It works on any (non-heroic) ground unit or structure, I think the autocast triggers only on detectors but you can cast it yourself on other things even without withering siphon.

2 Likes

If that were true it would be a pretty terrible way of communicating it, and would it just be making you just keep clicking the mouse button like crazy until it finally took?

Right now my guess is something basically along those lines, that the devs made it so that heroic units are vulnerable to the “effect” but are unable to be “targeted”. That seems like a really incomprehensible design decision to me if it was intentional.

The only explanation I can offer in regards to Void Stasis is Shadow Guard vs Dark Templar.

It is possible that the two abilities share the same name but are different. As one comes innate with SG while the other is researched for DT. As such their respective target list is different while sharing the same name.

It is also possible that the ability functions on a hierarchy. SG is considered heroic themselves, which then may allow Void Stasis to be cast on all equivalent or lower hierarchy units (therefore including heroic). Meanwhile, DT is obviously just a unit so it prevents the possibility to do so to heroic units. This would suggest then the ability is the same for SG and DT but the hierarchy is part of the ability’s code function.

Won’t be able to tell unless you look in editor in detail.

2 Likes

Void Stasis from shadowguard works on heroic whether auto or manually cast and even works on trains which is funny.

Confuzzle will work on heroic in the sense that they get the debuff, and consequently also withering siphon, but it’s not guaranteed to prevent them from attacking you or casting spells and whatnot especially when alone.

Zealots are very reliable against isolated heroic units if you get both upgrades from the council. Coarse hairs are probably best if you want to get withering siphon on train wagons, and they’re also hilariously effective when placed behind defenses on hold position with web shot on autocast.

1 Like

That’s good to know, though I still think it’s kinda BS that that’s a distinction and rather feel lied to by the prestige description.

I just tried it out and honestly that’s pretty nice to have that extra damage in there on the train 4x withering siphon and there are still more cars to attack directly. It’s a help right at the start with the reduced damage output and limited tech to really get the siphons withering.

Whew!.. I was wondering if folks were aware that what I posted was straight out of its description in the game

I think the ‘may’ is blizzardspeak for ‘can’ in this instance. I highly doubt they have some convoluted mechanism in place.

All these overly-detailed analysis comments when it’s probably just another co-op bug, though I haven’t thoroughly tested it myself.

Some stuff from the map editor:

• Dark Templar (DT) and Shadow Guard (SG) do use a different ability
  • Those abilities are functionally identical except for one thing, (Basic) Ability: CAbilEffect_TargetFilters is Ground;Player,Ally,Heroic,Missile,Stasis,UnderConstruction,Hidden,Invulnerable for the DT ability, but Heroic is not there for the SG variant.
  • The upgrade that apply the prestige seems to be CommanderPrestigeVorazunStasis
  • That upgrade do some stuff on behavior regarding the oracle, but that’s off topic. The thing that may be interesting (since the rest is unrelated to DT and SG) is how it toggle to activated (set effect chance from default 0 to 1) an effect called CommanderPrestigeVorazunStasisDoT
  • This effect is not tied to abilities or upgrades of DT/SG, but it is linked to the behavior DarkTemplarVoidStasis (used by the ability of both DT and SG)
  • As you can see, I have yet to find where targeting heroic units would get enabled
  • The effect called DarkTemplarVoidStasisSet got a validator called TargetNonHeroicWithoutVorazunStasisPrestige
  • The effect take in account the prestige, but not the ability, that may be the source of targeting issues, maybe (that’s a thought, no longer raw data from the editor)
3 Likes

Thanks for confirming it within the editor. There you have it OP, as was suggested to why this occurs.