Underutilized but still good units?

Abathur’s Ravagers are practically the undeniable most OP unit in the game and also they’re super cheap, but people are too lazy to micro bile I guess so I practically never see them. About 5 Ravagers alone is already about equal to having unlimited Karax Orbital Blast.

2 Likes

Good units? Fine. Comparing in to “unlimited” Orbital Blasts? That’s way over their head

1 Like

Tankivacs. No, really. Any air-heavy comp just sort of cries to them. …And crumples up worse than a wet paper bag.

1 Like

I’d definitely say its the same as having unlimited orbitals if not better especially if you use p2 which lets you deep tunnel them anywhere. Bile AoE is just as big if not bigger than Orbitals. Biles do 100 damage per bile when upgraded which is actually more damage than Karax Orbitals which only do 50 damage or 100 vs Armored when Biles always do 100 and the 12 range on the biles means you can easily snipe anything without getting into an engagement. Lastly with a cooldown of only 10 seconds means you can spam them basically every second if you got 10 of them, but personally when I go ravagers I like to get like 40 and I just literally spam the heck out of them non-stop.

3 Likes

Recently, I was answering, based on map editor, to someone about Swann turrets upgrades, and at that time, I saw those turrets upgrades had an effect on the Planetary Fortress.
So…can he really turn his CC into those and it’s so underutilized that I’ve never seen it, or he just can’t make them?

You said 5 Ravagers better than unlimited orbitals. Now it’s 10 of them.

P3 Karax can spam orbital strikes from unlimited range at a very cheap energy cost (which is free), and he can spam multiple of them in the 10 seconds cooldown of the ravager. Also he can stun units, and the damage is almost instantaneous, unlike the ravager which needs more time to land.

So how are 5 Ravagers better than unlimited Orbitals??

1 Like

If it could be done, believe me everyone would use it; but, you cannot make a planetary fortress with any commander.

I said 5 was already about equal to having unlimited orbitals and I meant that in like terms of value and I said with 10 you’d be able to spam every second, also I told you they’re better because they do twice as much damage damage to non-armored units. They don’t rely on energy at all, so you could spam them forever essentially; its not uncommon for me to blow like 30 biles on an encampment then like 30 biles on a shard right after, then without any hold up immediately do the same to the next encampment without having to wait on energy. And also not to mention you also get a cheap hulking behemoth with 600hp to go with each shot of bile, so vision is no problem at all and arguably less of a problem than a problem than it is with karax considering he generally has issues with getting a army out quick or in other words vision.

1 Like

I’d say Nova Helions are the least used unit ever, but they are actually bad, so it what it is I guess.

2 Likes

I think all Hellions (Except for Han Horner’s) should be given a moving and Nova’s Hellion a longer and thicker Fire stream as a bonus.
WoL Hellion have Twin-Linked Flamethrower upgrade which doubles the width of the stream, maybe it can also give +2 range.

As for the unit I think they are good but under-utilized is Igniters, Disruptors, Hellbats (Any kind).

2 Likes

Hellion was never a “good” unit combat wise. It is a good harass unit. So in a mode where harass is only a one-way street, Hellion naturally has poor performance.

They are only fun running about for gimmick fun. As are many others but I think that’s fine. Not all things need to be super great. If anything, making them work is fun and rewarding.

1 Like

That is one reason why I think Hellions should have a moving shot. I think partnering them with Cyclone and Prestige 1 Laser can have a good synergy and a new viable composition for Swann.

Hellions and Cyclones can compliment one another with moving attacks, Hellions can burn light units while Cyclones deal with heavier units.

1 Like

Hellions are great… On slim pickings. They can zip around to gather all the resources. Outside of that… Yea… fun gimmicks that are rewarding to pull off and can sometimes gets a nervous laugh out of your ally.

1 Like

I love when even on DoN, they ask what you going to do… and you’re like mass hellions. Then there’s a distinct silence until they see you do okay with it lol.

honestly not even H&H helions are that great, I feel like they get melted instantly 90% of the time, like maybe if you dont bring them out until an objective is clear to destroy is the only time they feel useful beside their death buff.

H&H hellions have a number of things they’re good at or at least better than other H&H units:

1. Rift sniping
  2. Death effect.
  3. can’t remember, but I think there’s at least another.

Slow + 20 AoE damage.

I tried it and it’s really good. At some point you dont really need the 170 supply worth of bunkers, so saving some supply for queens (you float on gas anyways) with the upgrades makes the gameplay more enjoyable and strong, since you can respond faster to any emergency, while continuing to push.

They are pretty weak until you have them under Tyrant’s Protection from the Tyrannosaurs. Early game they can’t be part of the main battle but are great for cleanup.

Nova’s Hellbats, I have hardly ever seen anyone use them even though most will float thousands of minerals and supply saving for airstrikes. While thats not a bad idea, considering they are her primary mineral dump along with marines it goes against the general idea of more units = better.

I think most people wont use them because they tend to die away from your army but with some decent micro you can keep pulling them back to keep them alive longer. Two to four hellbats under a defensive drone or two will provide tons of stuns while tanking damage efficiently.

Their hellion form on the other hand, very bad. The only use I find for them is to transform my hellbats into hellions at the end of mist opportunities to have better response times.

1 Like