Underutilized but still good units?

Out of curiosity what are your picks for units that don’t see much use but are actually quite strong when used properly.

My Pick is for Swanns Cyclones. I hardly ever see anyone go for them when they have excellent single target damage and kiting potential lock on will help prevent overkill against larger armies or you could focus fire the lock on on a single target like a main objective to take it down very quickly. Plus they are reasonably durable and mobile for what they do.

1 Like

I’d say ravagers. You don’t even need detection when using them. They are the key units of Abathur against propagators. Very effective against groups of enemies. They are also cheap.

1 Like

Ravasaurs, they are actually not that bad against structures and armored objectives.

1 Like

Sky Furies, especially against Skytoos and Sky Terran, or on the snow map.

H&H widowed mines. about 8 and 3 magnetic mines are capable of killing almost any attack, especially if you put them in the place where the attacks appear.

Lastly, Vanguards. I know how to use ascendants is the most optimal, but my computer does not allow me the mic they require, so the composition of Vanguards with pleading and chaotic is my main choice.

1 Like

Mass Oracles is often overlooked.

2 Likes

Mengsk Sky Furies, his most niche unit that still peforms well overall, just outshined by blackhammers+rocket troopers.

As you mentioned, Swann Cyclones, they’re not A-move welcome like goliaths but they’re better at dealing with ground targets than them without losing much on anti-air.

Karax Mirages, when they build stargate, they think of carriers, P2 they’re super cheap for what they do, P3 if you really need anti-air because no chrono= 3 years trying to get a carrier out of the stargate.

Vorazun’s Oracles and Centurions, Oracles actually deals a lot of dmg and can disrupt attack waves. As for Centurions, they’re good for Dark Archon comp, even more so when under P2.

Raynor’s Banshees, the banshee calldown is powerfull, but never saw someone actually making them as a unit alongside with bioball, they do struggle vs splash but that’s why there’s the bioball so medics heals them. For splash rockets you’re better off with siege tanks, but they burst beefy targets down faster than the bioball.

Kerrigan’s Broodlords, alternative for ultralisks for a nice frontline for your hydras, works better in infested maps if you’re bored of lurkers or your ally already has ground siege units. Problem is that they can’t enter into omega worms, but that’s about it.

Stetmann’s corruptors, ling+corruptors is a solid comp vs air comps or that reaper/librator terran comp.

Nova’s Banshees, they’re the A-move version of siege tanks if you need to kill swarmy units, although not on infested maps as they’re cd based.

Fenix conservators, I suppose because they require to activate manually instead of automatically doing it. 35% dmg reduction is better than any armor upgrade and works vs spell dmg, I don’t see many playing Fenix, but it’s way rarer seeing someone making use of them.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that. Although Pulsar Ray is fun but their energy don’t charge fast enough for me.

Hence overlooked cuz they sure do work… just not when your ally does literally nothing. Even then, there are ways around it by selectively killing off objectives quicker.

Fenix’s Disruptors, they absolutely melt ground comps but there’s just so many other anti-ground options for Fenix that I’d bet people don’t even remember him having them.

5 Likes

True, especially with P2 nowadays. It’s so efficient that I barely ever go for those nova-bois. Shame really.

My top1 is impalers, their damage is insane and they are key to a lot of dehaka soloing but usually people just go straight into mutas.

Also Stukov tanks, they are the best tanks in the game and I prefer to play with them rather than going boring mass dback on stukov p1. Infested libs are great too, but also overshadowed by the easier to play mass dback.

Vorazun’s void rays get looked down upon a lot mostly cause terrible players usually go for them, they are actually good units when used well and also the unit that carries a lot of vorazun’s mutation solos. Maybe not underutulized cause it seems to be goto random queue vorazun build but probably underestimated.

1 Like

One player used them on OE. Says Cyclones melt trains. Nice they hit both air and ground, whereas Tank’s better DPS is only for AG

I remember them. Then I remember that his Colossi require no micro to use the AoE AG.

Karax
–Mirages are actually not bad as AA. Just leave them for lighter/smaller comps
–Energizers are good a picking off low threat air units (Muta or Wraitth that’s low on hp), or no threat (e.g. Corrupters or Sci Vessels)

Stukov
–Banshees were useful when going up against Disruptor, Colossi, Reavers, and Adepts. Otherwise, that P comp will make minced meat of infested walkers and Db’s
–I see very few ppl make Missile Turrets. They only cost 100/0/0. NO supply, and are detectors. You can always relocate them to other parts of the map if need be (although you’ll need Creep to root them)

Swann
–Hellbats. Many just make Flaming Betties, but on the go, these are handy to soak up damage (they have more hp than Gollies), and splash damage is nice on Infested maps, and other swarmy comp

Raynor
–Vulture. Been a long time since I’ve seen someone do mass Vulture Mine

HH
–Widow Mines. These don’t cost gas anymore. Part of a complete defense of MM, Missile Turrets, and their 800hp Supply Depots, they can do a lot to stave off hordes of enemies. Strike Fighter Platform provides backup AG, while Missile Turret should be able to mop up air.

3 Likes

Buff Abathur nydus worms

Zagara’s aberrations when facing protoss sentries. They help out so much just smashing through barriers.

3 Likes

I believe Vipers are they key unit for Abathur.

On topic, I’d say Swann Wraiths. They have ridiculous damage output when microed, and are way better than Cyclones.

2 Likes

Yup, exactly, why use the more complex choice when you’ve got Collossi, 2 of 3 shells, and 5 of 6 champions that all have various forms of ground splash as well.

2 Likes

I’d never seen anyone build Stukovs queen’s but now that I have P3 a squad of Queens as backup for bunker play is very powerful for slowing down/damaging close knit spawns or taking out single big units.

They really excelled on ME and killed the optionals no problems.

1 Like

I think vultures are brilliant and they’re key to trivializing some mutators. The problem is that vultures are optional for holding your own on standard brutal so most players likely couldn’t handle the extra micro. Still I don’t see any need to get masses of them since they recharge quickly.

1 Like

Phoenix are good on miner evacuation. Whirlwind Zealot / Robo units / Phoenix mix is my go to comp for Miner Evacuation. Good against banshees and the infested infantry.