Unable To Save replays

I’m not exactly sure what I did, but for some reason SC2 doesn’t want to save replays anymore. It keeps on telling me that every map is unable to save replays. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and deleted the “Accounts” directory to try to reset it. I don’t know what else to try.

I have had this bug for months. It persists after performing a “repair” from the Blizzard launcher.

Notes:

If I try to rewind a game after winning/losing, the game client does nothing. It’s not frozen, because I can re-open the F10 menu and quit. But it doesn’t rewind/replay.

On the Score Screen/“Victory!” menu, “Watch Replay” and “Rename Replay” are grayed out with the tooltip “This map does not allow replays.” This seems to be for all 1v1 maps, though (e.g. I’m looking at New Repugnancy LE at the moment). I do have some team game replays that seem to work [Edit: Even these are several months old].

If I go to the replay menu, these games just don’t show up (obviously because there is no replay file). The last 1v1 replay my machine shows was 11/28/2018, but I don’t play many 1v1s so I don’t know when this bug exactly started. The last multiplayer replay I have is from 5/11/2019, and I have played many matches since then.

There were 1,062 replays in my profile’s replay folder. I moved them out of that folder, and the same result: “This map does not allow replays.”

I also tried deleting the entire “Starcraft II” folder in my user/Documents directory, forcing the client to recreate it. The problem also persists after that.

Edit again: Yeah SC is busted. I uninstalled the game, changed the location of my Windows “Documents” folder to a different hard drive, reinstalled the game, and it still won’t save replays. This is beyond frustrating.

Final Edit: With the help of Blizzard tech support, we narrowed the cause to something wonky with my Windows administrator user profile. If I created a new administrator account, and played from that login, replays would be saved. I tried all sorts of things to repair the install to no avail, and ultimately did an in-place reinstall of Windows using a thumb drive and the Windows media creation tool. I had it keep my files/settings, and my main login now saves replays!

Ok. Figured it out for windows 10. Post-patch, depending on your security settings, Windows Defender can be interfering with your ability to write & read replays (it is part of their effort to combat ransomware attacks). I can’t remember precisely (would have been cool if I’d taken screenshots right), but generally you fix it by making exceptions to the controlled folder access. Somewhere under Manage Controlled Folder Access, you can see what programs have been blocked and you can allow them. I would be conservative and allow as few as possible to keep your protection intact. But if you are having problems with saving, seeing, or retreiving replays under windows 10, and it just started recently, then this is something to check.
As I can remember (no promises).

1. Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
  2. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
  3. Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
  4. Select allow an app through controlled folder access
  5. You will see a list of recently blocked programs. Add all starcraft and battlenet related programs to the exclusion. Now they will be able to read and write to your saved replay location (default C:\Users<UserName>\My Documents\StarCraft II\Accounts<your account number><more specific numbers>\Replays).
1 Like

Does this actually fix it