Ultralisk Problem 2022

Hi. I’m DukeNukem, multiple Terran master player and I would like to give my opinion about ultralisks. It’s a common problem since LOTV came out and the devs crazy ideas came out like BURROWED CHARGING ULTRALISK LOL I WAS LIKE WTF!!! However most of the changes didn’t made it to the final game (uff) but still the armor was buffed and they are literally unable to kill when you play as Terran bio. The problem is Ghosts doesn’t counter the ultras because lings and banes forces bio to retreat and then ghosts are easy target for speedlings before they can do anything. You can say: LIBERATORS but it doesn’t counter ultras aswell, when Terran is trying to split units left and right against banelings plus clump units in the same time to avoid the speedlings meanwhile the liberators are hitting single zerglings instead of ultralisks… Focus priority change would help there a bit but it would be still not enough but it would be a small step for humanity and no step for zerg noobs… We need something to fight against ultras late game or give us some kind of quick tech switch like zerg has… OR JUST SIMPLY NERF ULTRALISK ARMOR!

Your request has been denied. Please try again later.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Try again in 2023 buddy maybe you’ll have a shot with the bananalisks

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Down with the Ultralisk!
The first unfair thing is the fact that from a tinny egg hatches either the little zergling or the gargantuan Ultralisk.
I would ask Blizz…hm sorry, Microsoft to fix that ASAP.
Ultralisk eggs should be big and be limited to one for Hatch.
Ultralisk should have the Armor nerffed to…9.

Sounds like you want the cheapest, easiest composition for Terran to work against all but the most micro-intensive counters from Zerg.

You realize you’re complaining that the Zerg can counter a comp with units specifically meant to counter that comp by utilizing more units and micro than you?

Try playing a more varied game. Not going to claim this game is balanced but your complaint seems weak considering the variety of options you’re ignoring.

1 Like

I don’t think ultralisk are op,but they are on the no micro category,ling ultra is one of those amove compositions,probably the composition that require less micro from Z,except maybe mass roach.

1 Like

I was talking about banelings in terms of requiring micro. You can’t just a-move zergling/baneling against Terran bio and still win unless you’re completely overwhelming them.

It has already been done. Ultralisks aren’t game ending anymore since then, if the terran is duly prepared.

Now the question is if they really needed to buff their offspeed creep in compensation from the other races’ T3 buffs ? That’s debattable if you ask me. :thinking:

Roaches do benefit from kiting, and ravagers timely biles. :angel:

But yeah aside from pre-positionning, not much to do with ultralisks. ^^

Can’t you ? If both players don’t micro, lings banes >> bio every time, any splash is just extremely effective against unmicroed marines. It sees on the ladder, as kiting and then splitting is something terrans progressively acquire depending on their level and style.

I would add that some ESL level Z didn’t seem to overly invest time microing ling banes against terrans, as hinted as some of the most epic widow mines shots of the last years, and even some occasional POVs (it doesn’t takes a lot of clics/time to setup a surround in fact).

I’m not saying that lings banes are broken or anything, but the amount of micro required by the composition in ZvT vs bio is considerably lower than let’s say for example in ZvZ vs another lings bane. Which is why a lot of zergs do skip the ling bane step altogether in that MU. :slight_smile:

Most of the time is some basic pre split and then amove,even serral does it, you can see him crashing banelings into tanks or marauders many times because his attention better spent in another place,but even if you micro the banelings,it is fairly easy,box some banelings,follow enemy units,it’s not like you must have extreme accuracy and do precission clicks when you want to blow up something. Real and difficult Z micro is lategame with blords,corruptors,castersx2, or the simple ravager-fungal-bile is pretty tricky. Most of the time hard Z micro is barely inexistent and only required during lategame or babe wars as the other poster said.

Back on the baneling, it is a unit that forces the T a lot and the required skill to split against banes is way higher than the skill required to make banelings work,even the widow mine requires even more micro to work properly and stop being random.

1 Like

Marines alone is not bio though, Marauders are extremely effective against Banelings. It’s obviously going to change depending on the comp and terrain though. Open field and Marine heavy, Zerg wins. Real conditions in a real game with proper unit distribution (not all your marines up front), Terran wins. That’s also requiring a T2 upgrade from the Zerg player.

Splitting against banes is also way easier than trying to split banes up. Splitting against them you need to just split up your units, but splitting the banes themselves requires trying to split them up in numbers they’ll still reach the enemy and still be effective as well as reaching the right enemy.

Either way, if you’re losing to Ultralisks you’re probably losing in general. It’s not like there is some high reward Ultralisk rush right? I also think that specifically only using Ghosts against Ultralisks seems kinda 1-dimensional. The problem the guy is having is that the Ultralisks get supported by the Zerglings/Banelings right? Siege Tanks absolutely destroy Zerglings/Banelings.

Good thing you don’t have to. Why would you want to split your banes against bio ? XD

It’s because you’re used to terran positioning their armies (and splash) and microing in order to mitigate the isssue that you say that. However, I maintain that unattended or aclicked pure MMM would lose to an equal value of aclicked ling bane. Never heard Tastosis say “ahhh, too bad, he wasn’t paying attention !” when a pack of bio gets sent into oblivion by banes & lings ? That happened quite often to Innovation, when he was still getting into some Ro8.

Anyway, in the quite hypothetical situation where the terran’s composition would feature enough marauders to soak up the banes unattended, then all the marines would have died in the process. Which means the marauders would be left alone against speedlings. Thus lose. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really ? Tanks perform just as well against lings than against chargelots, and for the same reasons. I’m under the impression you’re arguing for the sake of arguing here, Bergtau. Or, you may not have played enough from the terran side of the equation ?

Yet, I’m not saying your race is easy ; the zerg race is certainly challenging on some aspects, some of its own I might add. Yet microing lingbanes isn’t the challenging part in ZvBio, or at least not until an extremely high level. And since a good proportion of marines is required in order to compete with LB (and even more LBM), ultralisks can be a powerful asset in order to punish a terran merely adjusting his marines/marauders ratios. :slight_smile:

i remember the last time we played, i made ultras, you sniped them. the end.

It was long time ago but I remember like it was yesterday (WOL I guess?). I was a young padawan back then. A young woman named Hobbits has made ultras and I sniped the ultralisks but they were mine. It was friendly fire. But now I’m the master. This wouldn’t happen again.

um no it was like 4 month ago.

I don’t play for 4 years. Had few games under different nickname on EU server but it was still around one year ago minimum. I doubt we ever played. Especially:

That’s a lie. Duke doesn’t fight ultras. He runs away.

Funny how some players consider Ultralisks to be an absolutely useless unit that melts to everything and should only be built if you are winning and want to lose.

And on the other hand some consider it OP and are calling for nerfs, mostly Terran who think Tier 1 units (marines) should do better against Tier 3 units.

so there’s someone named dukenukem on NA, that plays low masters, on NA (not your server?) and i only played them once and it’s … not you? also had to say something ABOUT the ultras being op, while killing them.

1 Like

No, it wasn’t me. Did he won?

Haha atleast he was right :smiley: