Ultralisk change

Ultralisks are right now in a weird spot where they are almost never used but can be devastating every few hundred matches.

I believe that up to this point most changes to Ultras didn’t adress this and I have got an idea.

Give Ultralisk the Microbial Shroud.

Why?
1 Ultras are in theory the tanks of Zerg armies so reducing dmg done to allies would help them without making mass Ultra stronger.
2 This would free the space on Infestor for a new ability (I have an idea that I might share later)
3 Could potentialy result in new Ultra Hydra comp that could shake up the meta (Ultras tank Hydras deal dmg)

How?
There would be some changes to MS itself.
Would be something like: Reduces AtG dmg done to units nearby by 2. Lasts for 5 seconds. 15 second cooldown. Ultras doesn’t benefit and the effect can’t stack.
(MS moves with the Ultra that casted it)

I think Ultras should also gain push priority.

So what do you think? Pls share your opinions.

Disclaimer: This isn’t more of an idea and less of a balance suggestion. Balancing would most likely be needed if the change is implemented.

2 Likes

Agreed very much on that.

5 Likes

You may want to check BeastyQT video about balance changes.
He talks specifically about Ultras.

His suggestion is to remove “Armored” tag (because it makes Ultras hard countered by Lurkers and Immortals), add them 100 hp and subtract 1 or 2 armor and remove their speed upgrade.

Sounds reasonable.

Sounds like an over-inflated balloon that will be easily popped by marines more like lol

3 Likes

I watch a bit of BeastyQT so I know abou that and IMO it would mostly just switch Ultra from one niche to another.

Also I think my idea is more interesting (not necesarly better :rofl:)

And the rest of the suggestion?

1 Like

This or ultras can walk over other units like colossi

remove armored and tanks immortals cant kill them, further incentivizing liberator usage
ravager lacks armored and light
banling lacks this

biological …

where are the counters to biological ???!
Ultra is strong enough, just 1 wont do against defenders on ramp/focus fire.

That doesn’t change the core problem ultralisks have, being the derpiest unit in the game just because of its massive footprint plus melee. I would think giving it higher push priority would solve that, and then revisit armor and other dynamics if that becomes necessary.

All we need is burrow movement ultras, would be so fun :stuck_out_tongue:

“Ultra’s are barely ever used”
Maybe watch more late game zvt games where you see them about 60-70% of the time… They are fine, derpy movement but a great unit when even or ahead