Top 5 Useless "active" abilities in Co-op

It’s for the people that play 1v1 and like doing forcefields with sentry’s. If you ask me, one of the worst things blizz did to protoss in between sc1 and 2 was adding the sentry for protoss. It’s made out of glass.

Didn’t know spawn broodling had an actual damage point. I would always do it on tanks and dragoons. Which are under 300. But what about ultras? They have 400 hp.

I don’t know. Another possibility is that it was more than 300 damage, enough for any standard unit to be killed in one hit. Another example of this is the corruptor (SC1), which with its ability did 500 damage, reducing the health of the affected units to 1.

I don’t remember it having a damage assigned. It just takes down whatever target it goes for.

It couldn’t spawn broodlings onto robotic targets.

Ok, it seems I was wrong about the skill damage. I don’t remember where I read it, but they had to balance that. Also, you can now aim in the air. I think you couldn’t in SC1.

1 Like

Interestingly, the ability was actually reworked to its current 300 damage style. Before that it did one shot it’s target, but it couldn’t target Massive or Heroic units like it can now.

The only unit it lost the ability to one-shot was Arbiters, which weren’t part of Amon’s attack compositions until a later patch.

2 Likes

300 damage is good though. I can use mass Queens and destroy objectives and hybrids, while fungal waves and target air units.

Their fragility though is nothing to be done lol.

2 Likes

I watched a mutation video where someone used Havoc forcefield on Cradle of Death to stop heroes from the storm coming up the ramps to the base.

It was super effective.

3 Likes

When it one shots them, do broodlings spawn?

Recently, I saw how Stukov Infest Structures produced flying broodlings when used on stetellites (they fly until in a certain range of a target, then fly down to it like if they came from a brood lord).
Question: when a Brood Queen use her Spawn Broodlings on an air unit, does it produce a similar phenomenon?

Definitely when it kills the target Broodlings will spawn.

The wording’s a bit vague though, it seems to imply that they will also spawn if the unit takes the 300 damage, but dies to something after that. Been too long since I’ve used them to remember for that case.

UMI-C Charging Protocol is absolutely a must for early game mass Infestor plays. Even with Stetzone Bonuses and Stettellite Overcharge, your energy regen isn’t the best given how much of an energy cost the Roaches Away! ability has. You just stick the Infestors with each others’ cables and then keep spamming Roaches Away!

This is still amazing for bursting down things like solitary objectives or just bopping various air units. It’s only factor holding it back is the cooldown timer.

This is factually false. They buffed Bile TWICE now. Once to increase cast range the more Biomass your Ravagers have, and once to increase the damage that Bile does. Mass Ravager is insanely powerful, given that you actually know how to rapidly cast Corrosive Bile and waddle away.

2 word for you: Mass Air. Parasitic Bomb is the one-stop-shop counter to mass air compositions. Throw a pair or three bombs out and watch those units melt.

Just because you haven’t seen or used it, doesn’t mean it isn’t good. Sure, Fenix is stupidly powerful for anti-ground capabilities, but the Disruptors’ double Nova can just ruin a whole ground wave and then some before you even engage. It’s also very good for sieging ground-based objectives. I’ve played pure Robo Fenix many times, and can attest to how strong these things are. They’re just underplayed.

2 Likes

Technically, if you can peak inside an editor, there may actually be some numeric damage value. However, from the player perspective, it’s instant death.

And if there is, it’s VERY high damage. In the BW mission, you can use Spawn Broodling to instantly take down Fenix (as a hero Dragoon unit). As an enemy boss unit, he had 800 shields and 800 hp!

It’s actually worse. It only works on biological units. So it can’t affect Archons nor Dark Archons which have neither the bio nor robotic tags (“etheral” is the term they used?)

Basically, the high priority list in BW is:
Terran: Tanks, but Gollies and Ghost wouldn’t be too shabby either
Zerg: Ultras, but consider Lurkers, Defilers, and Hydra as well
Protoss: Dragoons, but HT and DTs to boot

1 Like

There’s no damage assigned.

Somewhere among 6 & 7 in the OP, put Vorazun’s Darchon’s Confusion. It’s rarely used and the energy is better saved for Mind-Control. It may have seen an uptick for P2, where Confusion additionally causes non-lethal damage, including to air units and some map bosses. But otherwise, quite useless.

(Might be interesting with the HotS mutator but in that case, you’re generally focusing on building raw army power rather than delicate micro.)

Confusion could be used as crowd control for those who have good enough micro but that’s a pretty weak spell on a very expensive unit. Ground-crowd-control is better done with the Corsair’s Disruption Web - cheaper unit with ability on cooldown timer, not energy; and can be autocast.

Perhaps Psionic. This is what they classify archon under in SC2.

Speaking of that, can we please get a commander that uses Twilight Archons? They sound sick.

That was actually a tag in the 1st Sc?

At some point, I think “Twilight Archons” were completely ordinary archons, besides the fact they needed 1 High Templar and 1 Dark Templar to be made instead of 2 HT.
So maybe you should confirm what you’re talking about.

The twilight archon was a [protoss]heavy assault unit in *[StarCraft II] . It has since been replaced by the [archon]

The twilight archon was replaced by the [archon] by March 2008.[[2]]

A twilight archon could be created from the merging of either two [high templar] two [dark templar] or one of each type of warrior.[[6]]

The true abilities of the twilight archon are shrouded in mystery, though it is clear that they were more than capable of taking care of themselves and dishing out considerable damage to clumps of weaker ground units.[[7]] They were described as “attacking with psionic storms”[[4]] which is identical to the description in the manual.[[8]]

Unlike the archons in original [StarCraft] the psionic manifestation of the twilight archon matched the team color.

Twilight archons possessed the dark archon’s feedback ability, an ability revealed at [BlizzCon]2007