Tips for leveling up Stetmann P3?

It seems like Gary will rack up most of the kills (even more so once I can upgrade him to Super Gary). Until I unlock Lurkers, I’m making Hydras, and maybe throw in Corruptors and Ultras as needed? Really, not unlike P0, but should excel on infested maps, but with a “mineral tax”

P3 really is one of those prestige that you’ll get for completion sake but definitely for its utility. As is said recently, its usage is honestly super limited and niche (and that’s after you’ve gotten to L15 with mastery). There really is no good tips to make good use of it while leveling because even at m90 P3, you’ll have a hard time getting its benefit.

The design is exactly that issue, Gary/Super Gary maintains at a minimum usually 50% of an average (and likely more the more experienced the player) of the kills. This means an already strong enough Hero unit will kill faster, which again propagates the theme of P3 onto itself.

Meanwhile, for units to benefit from this advantage is generally difficult due to the following reasons:

1. Coop as a design - is unlike ladder in which resource trade does not define battles, encounter, and the tides of victory. As such, resource is only an element for the player to consider to sustain and replenish an army. Mission waves and objectives therefore as a result of this player-centric resource element are designed so that you won’t have constant (mostly exceptions somewhat to infested maps, but even then) engagements that the player cannot support on 1-2 base economy.
  2. Prestige design itself - is far too restricted to maintain the buff. When combined with the above mission design issue, what the player end up with is inability to meaningfully maintain advantage despite experience, skill, or motivation.
  3. Buff unimpressive - is perhaps the straw that breaks this prestigious camel. Even at max stack (20x), the full buff to the unit (assuming said unit won’t die) is only 200% attack speed @ 10% per stack and 20 regen at 1 per stack, which lasts only 30sec upon each kill to continued maintenance. Why that doesn’t work is that much of the damage dealt by Stetmann’s units are from its Egonergy-dependent abilities.
    • Zerglings are attacking too fast to gain full benefit. Already far too bulky for its price to benefit from any regen purpose.
    • Banelings don’t need this attack speed buff. Has no need for regen.
    • Hydralisk does most of its damage from the missiles that depletes energy generally in a single engagement. Much time will be spent to prevent their death amidst recharging energy rather than continuously kill to maintain these 20x stacks.
    • Lurkers has an immobility issue that prevent maintained 20x stacks except in infested maps, hence self-limiting and very much niche.
    • Ultralisk gains the most benefit from this but reality sets in and mostly you need infested map or mutators.
    • Corruptors deals most of its damage from the AoE missiles rather than its own basic attack, maintaining air-to-air kill-stacks is next to impossible.
    • BCL travels slowly, requires energy management, and are expensive/difficult for most average player intrinsically (let alone asking them to maintain 20x stack).
  • Remember, this is for units who at best gain up to 50% of the kills to maintain the 20x stack at its finest. The more likely case is that they won’t be able to.

So the only tip really is try to enjoy the process of playing through L1-15 P3. Otherwise, it’s not about any particular unit you can really gain a whole lot from it. That’s my experience and opinion of course.

My tip is lvl 1-4 P1, lvl 5-6 P0, lvl 7+ P2.
At 15+ try P3 couple times a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶.

1 Like

As @che says above, ignore P3 for levelling.

Definitely what I found… the not visible benefit. If they increased the duration to ~1 minute (so you could maintain it through multiple waves) and had it increase energy regeneration as well (so good for BCLs, and a boost for Hydras+Ultras. abilities and it doesn’t affect roach spam) it would be much more interesting [if they even just gave it a graphic effect like Abathur’s biomass that would be nice]

1 Like

Don’t play it, simple as that. Grind it out with P2. P3 is pretty meh without the Stetfield Bonus mastery.

I completely agree in general but I think spines and spores deserve at least an honourable mention. I haven’t played p3 much so I don’t know if it works with missile command and whatnot, but repair sure as hell is a terrible means of sustain. It’s not that great since kills will be distributed far from evenly even without one crawler attacking 3 times as fast as the others, but it’s noticably helpful nonetheless.

Also as long they have energy stetmann’s lurkers are actually pretty damn mobile, for lurkers at least. Trouble is that there won’t be any infestors to help provide it for them. Ultras also make really good tentacle sockets, and it doesn’t feel right to give up a reliable buff in exchange for an unreliable one.

Regarding BLC, unless they are different from other broodlords, the rate at which they generate broodlings for them to launch at enemies will limit their attack rate. I only vaguely remember testing this but who knows if it changed.

Imo, best oil works best on P2 Super Gary. All you need are some lings and a blue colour, or 20 banes.

Btw recycled banelings yield 2 scraps (should be 4 according to the tooltip but instead the scrap cost for a zergling is reduced by half instead), but provide only 1 stack of best oil when collected by Super Gary.

1 Like

I didn’t know static can benefit. Interesting.

The only thing I see wrong with P3 is that it forces you to be on the offensive all the time probably outside of stetzones to maintain the buff and it kinda flies against a commander meant to take a slow and methodical advance. Definitely another prestige that could use some tweaking, if only blizz didn’t drop it like a hot potato.