TIL: The Starcraft universe has a planet colonized by Mormons

WoL is guilty of mood swings caused by the branched storytelling.

But Raynor mostly runs around stealing stuff from people that are busy dying to something else (Smash & Grab, Supernova) unless he has gigantic support from Moebius (Drakken laser drill in The Dig) or Dominion (BCs in Maw of the Void).

1 Like

Yeah. Im pretty sure that’s intentional. Mengsk got crushed in BW, and just a year before Wings it was rather surprising to Jake Ramsey that the Dominion had collected itself enough to be sending out official transmissions again.

Safe Haven aside (and given the other problems with that one, if Blizzard came out and called it non-canon I wouldn’t even bat an eye), the Raiders never actually fight anything with a big full on army available until Valerian starts supporting them directly.

In that regard you are right. Raynor doesn’t lose. With the exception of non-Canon Haven’s Fall he suffers from chronic player victory syndrome.

1 Like

Media Blitz with its flaws deserves a mention.

Media Blitz suffers from a case of telling rather than showing, but they do outright state that the amount of effort that goes into preparing it is significantly greater than what we see on screen.

Media Blitz is still them playing the underdog.

The whole premise is they very much do not have the forces to take Korhol, but between the Odin and the com records of Mengsk admitting to Tarsonis, they have enough to damage Mengsk’s public image enough to make a full blown rebellion easier some time down the road.

At no point do they stand a chance against the whole Dominion. They’re just bluffing to start smaller uprisings they can capitalize on.

Not my point. The idea of Tychus being a mole while rampaging through freaking Korhal city in a Kaiju level mech is hard to believe.

Tychus isn’t a spy though. He has one specific job he needs to do, and that job isn’t to preserve Mengsk’s public image. More to the point, Tychus’ suit is a bomb, not a GPS. Unless Tychus is dumb enough to call him up and tell him, Mengsk has no way of knowing who is inside of it.

1 Like

Unless it’s connected via radio.

All marine suits have a transmitter. That’s how they, among other things, talk to each other in space or in battle.

That’d be easy to trace which speaks for Kelthar’s theory… but that would mean that they have time to disable it, because Mengsk isn’t connected to the suit.

That would mean that on Char they could have disabled it.

Maybe it’s intentional but I’m not buying your point here. First off, the Dominion was able to build a whole new arsenal out of scratch, I mean look at the tech they have. Not only is it new, it’s also shiny. Second of all, your main bad guy being a goofy character everybody mocks and destroys, somebody who for all the talk cannot achieve anything, well, that kinda undermines the whole idea of an evil empire. How am I supposed to take the threat he is meant to be if I cannot take him seriously?

I know. Mengsk and Tychus was able to talk during the assault on Char, remember? I’m fairly certain that suit would have a tracker in it, or they would be able to track its radio signal but let’s assume not and move on.

Yeah, Mengsk is a non-threat, but he isn’t actually the villain of the series. Kerrigan is the main antagonist of Wings of Liberty, and Amon picks up, at least in the abstract, in Heart of the Swarm.

Im not sure what your point is here. Horner scanned Tychus’ suit. We know it isn’t emitting some sort of “I AM HERE” signal from that, if nothing else, at least not actively. It probably has the capacity to do so, but again, that would be fairly standard issue to any marine suit just so that commanders could keep track of where everybody is in a battle.

Alcoholic with one battlecruiser and underpaid staff:

• Defeats the Fleet of the Executor
  • Defeats a sect of the most advanced race in the galaxy
  • Beats Kerrigan who’s personally leading the swarm when looking for artifacts
  • Lands on Korhal and leaves with his forces in tact (which took out half the swarm in HoTS, incurring massive losses)
  • Raids the Dominion capital city while repelling strikes from their best General.
  • Cleanses entire zerg infestations
  • Breaks open the most heavily guarded prison in the sector
  • saves & impresses the Dominion’s best General on Char who, despite leading multiple invasions against the zerg, made the rookie mistake of doing a frontal assault
  • Gets everything he ever wants at the end of the trilogy

That’s scratching the surface, but how’s this anything but a joke?

1. just like wings of Liberty. At least the gags were original unlike WoL’s “newscasts” which recycle the same unfunny joke over and over.
  2. great, never said they were the same thing

The SoK aren’t the Raiders. The former is a large group with a lot of resources, whereas the latter is one battlecruiser.

1 Like

Yes Gradius, that would be the point. You may have noticed it, whizzing above your head.

Kerrigan being the antagonist, yes, but Mengsk is the villain of the campaign. In Heart of the Swarm we know there is something out there but the entire piece is aimed at taking down Mengsk, that’s how the story ends. I think it is fair to say that Mengsk was the villain and main antagonist of that campaign.

My point is that I believe the suit could be tracked (not being tracked is just the lazy way) and the Dominion has technology superior than that of the Raiders. But since this point is kinda going nowhere I’m dropping it.

This, a 1000%.

And they achieve all those things because their goal is not complete and total destruction of the enemy. They have very clear and defined goals, that don’t include “winning”. Just doing the one thing they came to do and getting the hell out of there before their enemy’s much larger and stronger forces arrive.

That’s how you fight against superior forces. You move the goalposts to smaller and more achievable goals that slowly improve your odds.

Why even make the comparison then? Especially when the Raiders do stuff that would even be ridiculous for the SoK.

So what? Their feats in and of themselves are still ridiculous.

Sure. And HotS is both significantly shorter than Wings and features a much more powerful protagonist. Mengsk gets rolled over every time he and Kerrigan fight. Kerrigan plays up the risk, and its true in the abstract, but there wasn’t really any chance of Mengsk winning, just of Kerrigan getting killed on accident before Mengsk gets buried under a mountain of zerg corpses.

Tracking signals definitionally need to be highly visible. Theyre the opposite of subtle.

To make the point that theyre operating on a pitifully smaller scale. Safe Haven is the only actual military victory they have entirely on their own merits, and that’s an extreme outlier in the rest of the story.

2 Likes

Alright, I concede my point.

Like when she didn’t let them Protoss leave Kaldir so they cannot bring more forces? I mean, you just agreed to my point.