The greatest player ever

Like Artois was saying, Maru truly is the greatest player that ever was. He is the 4th race of Starcraft. Nobody can play that well and he shoudnt be accounted for balance wise as he plays the 4th race of sc2. The final isn’t a TvT, its a TvM. Armani played well, props to him but the best player won for sure. Maru played a pretty sloppy series considering how strong he usually is but still too op.

6 Likes

Players become “the greatest” not by the games they play, but by the titles they have. Maru still hasn’t won any blizzcon, so I see no reason to call him like that. For example MVP was and blizzcon champion and won the most GSL titles in the row (correct me if I am wrong there).

10 Likes

I would add,amount of titles and amount of total relevance.I would say Inno is the best because he stayed relevant every year of his career,2020 is the only year he did not get a premier,the rest of the years he always won something. Maru is impressive but he works on streaks,sometimes dominates,sometimes not,so the same foes for Serral,a couple of really great years and then nothing.If maru keeps winning next year maybe he will be the best. But my heart thinks the best will be forever Life,sadly not a long career,but he did amazing things during these years.

3 Likes

I woud not say same for Serral.
He was a strong player for long time, but not enough on pro play level. He kept practicing, in 2017 was among best EU players, while beating ShowTime, Nerchio and Elazer. (good old times when Nerchio was strong)

2018 is a year of his rise, and he already had problems with Reynor.
Since then he plays consistely as best EU player and on the top of the world.
2019 he was being blocked by Reynor and is till today day.

His form is indeed “weaker” right now, but it’s worth noting that he started using more cheesy and all-in strategies what caused him to lose many matches.
I personally see it as practice before main events of 2021.

You can’t really say a couple of really great years and then nothing
because his great years are right now ^^

Yes, usually champions are good before the golden age hits, same with Reynor, good player, but wasn’t that good until he entering full time mode.This was not the case of Life, one of the reasons I think he was a god, he started playing at 14 and at 15 he was already winning a GSL, the youngest player ever, and at the first try, royal road, one of the sickest thing ever, a newcomer child comes for the first time in the GSL and slays everyone.

The age of Serral is over, now its Reynor time, I hope I’m wrong and they fight to each other trying to be the best Z.

1 Like

already the term “ever” or “GREATEST”,
makes it hard.
You can hardly compare with BW or WOl or Hots.

to the topic Maru:
Yes he is strong and that even when he was younger. but on the other hand when Maru and Serral 2018 had their strong year. Serral was equal or better at international tournaments. Serral also had a strong year in 2019, while maru 2019 was still top but not as present as the year before.

1 Like

As of right now. My top list is:

1. Maru
  2. Serral
  3. don’t know
1 Like
  1. Rogue
  2. Maru
  3. Innovation

Serral is amazing, top 10 for sure. But if he was not a foreigner nobody would say he is the GOAT.

Classic is the greatest player ever.
Maru is number 2.

Classic had a game at blizzcon where he proxied his entire base and won. Vs rogue. His entire base proxied right next to rogues base. On 3 nexus fully mining.

It’s mvp. It remains mvp.

1 Like

sry people,
But greatest player of all time.
Is TLO, he has won the sympathy of the people.
Even if he loses games. in Lotv less, but more in Hots and Wol.

Maru -> always remains the proxy boy.
Innovation -> a machine.
Serral-> ??
MC -> Boss

Its Life you can hate guy but hes best there is

3 Likes

the best in the game,
but his real life strategy was hard countered with Ban.

Even with destroyed wrists the dude kept fighting and delivering decent games,truly the king of wings.

1 Like

Dude, I don’t even think Rogue is the best Zerg, much less best player.

Still, is a very good Z, only a couple of premiers less than Maru but has some really big wins 1 world title and two world tournaments IEM and Katowice, included a couple of regulars gsl and a super tournament, on top of that, Liquipedia says he has the nickname Sexyboy. But yes, I would say Maru is better for the reason I mentioned, long careers with many results over the time is what makes the players being the goat, and Marus career is really long and was a terran that was always there winning something when others didnt.

It isnt Life but it could have been. And it isnt directly about his issues. If he could have kept playing then he probably would have been the GOAT but he needed to keep playing.

Maru might take it because of how dominant he has been from such a young age. He might win his 5th GSL against TY. And he has never lost a GSL finals. There are no more Blizzcons so if he wins this GSL and especially if he keeps winning major tournaments, it is hard to argue against him.

Innovation is a candidate as well just based on longevity but I think Maru edges him out. Or at least will edge him out as long as SC2 continues for at least a few more years. Maru is still young and I think still has some tournament wins in him as long as he can stay healthy.

It is too early to say but Reynor and Serral are also obvious candidates. But who even knows if the pro scene will continue after contracts are up in two years? Dark days for SC2…

Rogue is objectively more successful than Serral.

Probably life, innovation. Maybe Serral? However his domination started when skill cap dropped after disbanding of Kespa. No recent Protoss pros should come anywhere near the top of the list.

I think Life was the best Zerg to ever come out from Korea. Rogue being 2nd best Zerg and yes Rogue is better Zerg than Dark in my eyes.
Life that kid was insane. He would be the best imo if he was around. he was winning titles and blizzcon with Zerg when they struggled back in HOTS. Unlike now where every tier 1 Zerg looks like they could win a title.

Serral looks “weaker” nowadays. I don’t think his level of play went down. His competition went up in level. Reynor and Clem. Another one glaring thing is Terran being much stronger this year. Not saying OP. Terran is not braindead race unlike Zerg last year u give anyone 50 infestors they could win vs Stats or Maru.

For Terran i feel Maru is the best Terran in LOTV. But he has weakness. He can sometimes be like Rogue where he crashes out early. But I would say Maru’s peak is higher than Serral’s but usually Serral plays slightly better than Maru. Its more pronounced for Rogue where his peak is higher than anyone’s but his low is even more extreme.

But we don’t talk about Protoss bonjwas. Well i think it tells me at the highest levels Protoss seems underpowered where its skill ceiling is not as high as Terran or Zergs in recent years. But I think the perpetrator of Protoss misery is ZvP over the last 2 years and the awful amount of nerfs due to irrational community hatred for toss.