Terran vs. Mass Tempest

Playing Terran, how in the world do you defend against mass tempest?? I constantly lose to it no matter how many vikings I make or missile towers. The Tempest has such a long range I cant even get near them without getting blown to shreds :frowning:

(forewarning, I play mainly Toss and haven’t played any VS in a while)

I’d believe that a good number of marines could do the trick. Temptest is slow & hard hitting, so you want either lots of targets or targets with crazy health. Since VS has no godly tanks, tons of little units is your best bet.

1 Like

Marines or cyclones. Marines because with stim they can catch the tempest and also there will be far to many of them for the Tempest to kill. Clones because they can lock on, fire while moving and get under the tempest. Also tempest is armored so would take extra damage from the clones.

Technically a thor would do well but if your opponent has good micro it might not go so well. Since thors are rather slow.

1 Like

Cyclone + Lock On
Thor + High Impact mode
BC + Yamato - but this counter is risky because you need to TJ on top of them and Yamato

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback. It’s always hard to get under them with Protoss ground army but I think the most effective counter is actually a preventative, not letting their army get so massive eg. constant harass, pressure and scouting. Once they build that big ball of hurt, it’s very difficult to defend.

1 Like

Yes, preventing that the Protoss air army get massive, is the best working strategy for me as Zerg, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

mass widow mines (drilling claws) & thors (single target mode); maybe some stimmed marine/marauder to draw away the attention from the mines.
–> a-move thors and run 20-30 widow mines under the tempests, then burrow