Stuck on the opening screen

I’ve been having this problem since 2 or 3 months ago. I haven’t been able to play SC2 since 2 months ago; That’s real patient. The game wouldn’t proceed any further than Authentication. After authentication, nothing. It doesn’t even load my portrait. I’ve been wasting up to 2 or 3 hours a day trying to get it to work and figure out what’s wrong. Still no idea. Uninstalled and reinstalled SC2. then did the same to my battle.net agent. No improvement.
P.S. Actually the game did start a couple of times, like once a week or so. That’s why I kept trying. There has been like a 1% chance of playing every time I click “play”
P.S. I’ve been having a similar problem with “Heroes of the storm”, but every time the problem is solved after a couple of restarts.
P.S. I haven’t had any such problems with “Hearthstone” and “Diablo 3”.

Looking forward to hearing from you, ty.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this, too, along with the entering lobby bug when I do get into the game. This never happened when SC2 first came out, but ever since they updated the navigation screens with the expansion releases, it’s been an issue. I wish we could default back to SC2 original with no expansion or online. I’d be at least happy with that system.

1 Like

Sounds like a problem with the firewall or maybe locked (write protection) files in your document folder.

See the blue response in this thread (“read-only” article):

Hi there Mahyar,

I have seen this before on a case in your area. The workaround we came to was logging in to US on the Blizzard app and selecting US in the dropdown next to play.

Try changing the regions around and logging in. Sometimes this is a Firewall and only one area is blocked.

/Nathardrick

I can confirm this workaround worked for me, and along with changing DNS settings, resolved 3 issues: this one, the map list not loading, and the entering lobby bug. So I’m happy now. Though, mine was changing from NA to Europe.

Hey. Thanks for the response. I have already tried to change the regions. Tried EU, didn’t work. Can’t play on EU servers either. As for the workaround, I don’t quite get it, what do you mean “log in to US on the Blizzard app and select US in the dropdown” ? Do you mean try to log in from inside SC2? If that’s what you mean, I’ve tried that too, didn’t help. I don’t know what to do.

Referring to changing the region in the blizzard app before launching SC2. Then there are several other areas you can try that I’ve used to help alleviate issues:

-Enable compatibility mode in both the blizzard app and the game within the properties menu of both programs, then save it.
-Check dxdiag and make sure you are updated.
-Manually search for drivers updates for all hardware, as sometimes it won’t be found automatically.
-Allow all Blizzard programs to run with the firewall and/or disable the firewall completely
-DNS SHOULDN’T affect this, but I changed that for other menu issues, such as lobby issues.

Do all of them, restart, then see where you are. I’m right there with you and it stinks you can’t enjoy the game. I had to wait months of troubleshooting myself, but I found out how to alleviate many issues in the menus through my attempts.

Thanks, I’ll try these steps. I don’t think they’re gonna solve the problem. Firewall and drivers and updates are out of the question. Don’t know about that compatibility mode. I’ll check it out. Thanks anyway.

No problem. There are a lot of issues with the game and I try to throw things out there with hope. It’s tough and I was lucky enough to solve 4 issues myself, but I wasn’t playing for quite some time.

Out of curiosity, I would attempt hard resetting your router as well as manually setting your DNS IP’s to google, especially if it isn’t frozen, but simply stuck on an authorization step. That clears up problems with a lot of game bugs. It’s worth a try at this point.

I still can’t play SC2. I just changed the region to EU and clicked “play”. The game got stuck after authentication. Then I exited the game, changed the region back to Americas and clicked “play”; Nothing. Still stuck on the opening page. By the way, last time I played SC2 before this problem started, I was trying to get the “Buy Buy Buy” achievement for Tychus. I had been working on it for quite a while and couldn’t get it; Until I finally did it with like 20 seconds to spare. But the game didn’t give me the achievement and the next time I tried to enter the game, that’s when the problem started. Could it be anything to do with that? Could you please check my achievements see if there’s anything wrong with that?

Hey there Mahyar,

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you. On this one, as this did not work, this means there is afirewall blocking the full connection of the game. This may not be on your personal network but on the connection from you to us.

The main test I would do now is trying another connection. This lets you know if it is the ISP or the local setup. Make sure this connection works for others. I know this is not a great step, but a full block like this is most of the time ISP based. :frowning:

/Nathardrick

OK. Thanks. I’ll keep trying. Maybe I should try using a vpn or something, cause it’s not only SC2 which seems to be blocked. some other blizzard websites and battle.net features aren’t working either. Is it at all possible to play Blizzard games through vpn?

Hey, Mahyar! It definitely sounds like there’s a connection issue or something is blocking the connection to Blizzard Services.

VPNs are not supported, but as long as no suspicious activity is happening while using the VPN service, it’s should be fine. There are many folks who play on VPN connections. Please check with laws in your area as some regions and countries may not allow VPNs or only allow certain VPNs to be used.

If the VPN does work, the issue is with the connection routing or provider’s DNS. It can help to try a third party DNS service like Google DNS or Cloudflare.

Hi. Thanks for your response. I’m gonna try that DNS thing. Just don’t know what it is and whether or not it’s safe and useful. It’s the first time I hear of this. I’ll check it out first chance I get. Thanks anyway.

I just changed the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Google DNS. Didn’t work.

Have absolutely the same problem, nothing was helpful so far.

P.S.

Found the problem in firewall (I didn’t shut down it completely) + open the app with administatives rights in programfilesx86/starcraft2/support64/sc2witcher_x64

Would it be possible for anyone affected by this error to test a different network? For example on a mobile hotspot, friend’s house, wifi cafe, or similar.

I’m having the same issue. Was this ever resolved? How?

[Edited by Blizzard] This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.