Stories about memorable Co-op matches

I’m sure many of you with experience in playing Co-op have had memorable extraordinary games with extraordinary allies (for better or for worse). I’ll tell some of mine.

Blessed Games

Chain of Ascension. Me as low level Zeratul, ally as Mastery Mengsk P3.
Knowing how Mengsk P3 mass infantry can be a deadly, yet resource hungry force, I offered my ally to take my expansion and go pumping from three bases. Worked like a charm — I’ve been wandering around the map with <10 units all the time, while the ally had a huge force of deadly soldiers rigged with explosions following me around. After winning they gave me the credit for planning all this, despite the fact they were the one who carried us to victory.

Void Launch, weekly brutation. Me as Mengsk P3, ally as Stetmann P2.
As far as I remember, that brutation came with “Going Nuclear” and some other movement hindering mutators, such as “Blizzard” or “Time Warp”.
Seeing nukes all over the place, I’ve been sceptical about my ally having P2. Asked him whether P1 is a better option, to have unbreakable stetellites. He responded with a mysterious Gary smile…
However, later on I’ve bared witness how they moved Super Gary and the stetellites all over around like if there were no nukes at all! And they had zero worries about their army too, as they massed Mecha-Infestors at home throwing constant stream of Roaches+Ravagers towards the enemy spawn points. And because our enemy was zerg, it all turned into a one giant mess :melting_face:
Meanwhile, I did my Mengsk thing as usual — mass propaganda, mass recruitment, mass mobilization with explosive arms. While my ally kept enemy busy with his paper roaches, my suicide squads were sniping objective after objective. Truly enjoyable.

Oblivion Express, me as Swann, ally as Vorazun. Prestiges were not a thing back then.
So, I did my usual Swann thing on this mission — mass turrets + tanks on both railway “bottlenecks”, more than enough to derail any train and stop any attack wave. My ally, though, was something else. They placed Dark Pylons in all different tactical positions for either intercepting enemy attack waves or enemies wandering around the map, then recalled my Siege Tanks right in the spot to efficiently shoot at enemies from high range. Shortly before the game ended they game me a mysterious wink :wink: and left, leaving the map full of Siege Tanks all over the place, positioned exactly in a way to kill everything and anything and allowing to finish the mission while being AFK.

Cursed Games

Mist Opportunities, me as Tychus P2, ally as Artanis P0.
Playing as usual, I sent my Big Dudes to delete everything on the map, in many directions.
My ally suffered big losses because they have gone mass Tempests and got hard-countered by the Air Terran enemy. However, that didn’t impact our progress — Tychus P2 is just that OP.
Well, it seemed like my ally got pissed, because in the middle of the mission they just sent all their forces on Move command to die, then sent all their probes to die and then left the game. I didn’t even know, what the hell was that about.

Void Launch, me as Raynor, ally as Nova. Prestiges were not a thing back then.
After I got used to Raynor’s mass Orbitals with mass MULEs, I liked the playstyle of giving my expansion to ally and going mass infantry — with mineral sulprus from 1 base I have just enough resources to max out with all upgrades, assuming I’m not taking big losses.
And so, here how it was on this mission:

Me: wanna take my expansion?
Ally: you need your expansion
Me: no, i don’t
Ally left the game!

Well, screw it, I left too. And tried to calmly explain them, why exactly I’m OK with 1 base on this commander. Response? No, got blocked right after my 1st message. They didn’t even want to hear what was I about to say.

Chain of Ascension, me as Mengsk P0, ally as Artanis P0
As usual for pre-P3 sub-mastery Mengsk, early game is painful. Though I was able to defend against the attack wave and also defend Ji’nara from rolling back (all alone), it was at a cost of big losses. My ally was suffering losses too — lost 1 Dragoon here, lost 1 Dragoon there…
Enter the Hybrids, Ji’nara is screaming for help. And the ally is pinging to push the hybrids. I mean, sure, but I need to reconstitute my forces after killing attack wave after attack wave after attack wave. All alone. “Where are ally’s forces anyway?” — I thought, — “Throughout the mission I’ve only seen 2 Dragoons so far!”
So, I looked at their base… and there were more than ten Warp Gates. On a single base. Guess it’s no wonder the mission was lost shortly after.

2 Likes

—no detection
-L&L We take the center lock. Then we move on to the one on the left, except there are SH and Lurkers defending. I send Nova in, only to realize nothing’s happened. It was a rare moment that I forgot to queue up her visor research! My ally noticed this too and slaps a Chrono Boost on my Ghost Academy :slight_smile:
-otherwise, sending my way a com scan, Theia Raven, or Omega Worm

—various cases where ally helped out in general
-Karax OS and SL to do base defense
-Tychus able to teleport back to handle our base defense
-Terran ally sent SCVs to repair Protoss units and buildings
-T ally sent SCVs to repair burning buildings (including those of Stetmann’s)

–pre-prestige, on TotP Mutation
I was Artanis, ally was Swann. Ally poured EVERYTHING into defense, leaving me to push. For the final leg, I was able to take out one vt with Solar Bombardment. Couldn’t take down the other one, but I sent units to distract it to cease its long range bombardment. We survived long enough to let the timer run out. Had about 100 hp IIRC!

—Various people asking in the chat if they need a carry for this week’s Brutation

1 Like

DoN
Ally Raynor built 1 barracks, and kept building supply depots (assuming he was going for 200 cap). All he had for an army was 5 Marines. I queued for Normal because I was still levelling, and somehow we’re on Brutal.
During the Daytime, they’d just build more depots, and ignore building defences.
He quit the game after 3rd night, because his depots kept getting destroyed. I was Tychus, and cannot defend all 4 sides myself.
I quit using Matchmaking at that point.

1 Like

Got two more memorable games recently.

The Shortest Blessed Game
Right after the game started my ally politely asked me if I could leave, so they could practice in solo walkthrough — which I gladly obliged. It might not sound as anything special, but for all my years of playing Coop at both EU and US it was probably the first time where I left the game not with desperation, frustration or disappointment, but with relief — it’s not so often that I see people who can politely, yet directly ask what they want, and such rare cases bring me joy.

Field Marshal Abathur
“Lock and Load”, me as Zeratul P2, ally as 1000 lvl Abathur P2.
Call me biased, but when I see an ally of max mastery level in a regular Brutal game, I always expect some weird stuff to happen. And so it did.
Right from the start my ally explicitly told me to clear the locks on my side, not on his, because he hates when allied forces are battling on his side. I mean, okay, whatever, it’s not that of a difference for me. So, after several battles I took some heavy losses and sit back for a bit to lick my wounds. While doing that, I observed how the ally pushed their Swarm Hosts to the northeastern Lock. Not having much to do aside of Gateway production, I decided to throw in a “slowing crystal” from my top bar and also several cannon projections for detection. Ally responded with “didn’t I ask you to not fight on my side of the map? sigh” and left.
Honestly, I never understood what’s the point of playing the game mode called “Co-op” if you expect it to work as if it’s a single player mode and get frustrated each time you get reminded it’s not.

Zeratul may have a big head on the minimap, but my Raynor got a big square!
https://i.imgur.com/xs2gOSp.jpg

As Admiral DuGalle would say: “Who the… What the hell are they?”

My most memorable was that one game on Void Trashing, where I played Mengsk and had a Fenix as partner.
That person was so hard speedrunning the mission, he already nearly finished it by minute 10 on brutal.

Negative memoration will be the recent game where I played Zeratul and had a Mengsk ally in DON.
He rushed EOS and build nothing aside that (troopers and royal guards build the whole game > 0, dont even turned his worker into troopers to defend), at the end I destroyed more infested buildings as him and also defended the whole four entrances solo.

1 Like

I don’t know if such a thing tends to happen on Casual more often than on the other difficulties, but I can remember several somewhat similar matches on Brutal. Since I don’t wish to go off topic there, I’ll write them here.

One was on Temple of the Past. My ally was Raynor. All he did was 3 bunkers on the main entrance, with no upgrades (no neosteel, no turret, nothing) and all the time after that he was only using calldowns.
Another one was on Void Thrashing. My ally was Artanis. Full noob style — no expansion, dragoons only.

The best part — they both were at 1000 mastery lvl. How is that even possible?