Stopping a cannon rush

How can I best scout for cannon rush, if they have cannons outside my main before my reaper finishes up?

scout when your gas is 50% done / when you start your barracks afaik
–> bunker, 1 tank, liberator or banshee (protoss should be behind on tech)
–> 2 probes = probably cannon-rush
–> a tank completely stops a cannon rush so the main thing is to contain the cr with a bunker and SCVs so scouting around the ramp and the main base should be fine.
–> Scout more than normal if there is no normal scout like no probe at all, probe coming from the wrong angle, probe coming in too early, 2 probes of course

Or just watch some cannon-rusher protoss (printf, parting maybe, pillipilli?, …) and watch the game time but also for cannon positions.

Depending on your meta, maybe scv scout at 16, but keys are not to panic, make depots right away, and get cyclone (quick) or tank.

1 Like

Well I did have my factory building a tech lab, but by that time they had cannon hopped into my main and were hitting my cc and depot wall

hmm, want to share the replay?

How? Gujjjjjjjjjjjjj

http:/ / sc2replaystats. com /

and post the
_link
like this, please

_http://sc2replaystats.com/

I was wondering how to get around that.

Hey I recorded one of my Cannon rush defenses hopefully this helps.
My rule of thumb is always take out the pylon then get a siege tank out asap.

2 Likes

+music
+depot placement
+dudeIsawyoujustleavewtfareyoudoingbronzeleaguestratsinmybackyardscan
+showing that scouting and a fast tank are key

-the question was about diamond level cannon rush so good cannon placement (where you should scout on a certain map) and multitasking (what is most important)

2 Likes

You are right I didnt realize it was for diamond but hopefully if someone sees this thread and is freaking out still whenever they get cannon rushed it might help.

Don’t worry about giving a “weird” answer. You never know who is interested in the topic and your post might help a lot of players.
I learned something from a platinum player today so being arrogant about once league / skill only means that you’ll miss opportunities to learn something new or bring knowledge into a wider perspective.

3 Likes

One rax reaper safe expand. Build Second CC on main high ground, use the second CC as a target bait. Lift off barracks after reaper comes out and make a tech lab and make bunker near your main CC. Reaper will snipe enemy probe and grenade the probe out of position before placing the next building. Move your reaper ahead to intercept any additional placement.

Protoss will target your natural CC while your factory is is being made. Make a Marauder and put him in bunker. Marauder will shoot cannons and/or pylons in range. The Bunker should be made as soon as you see a pylon being dropped.

Scvs, use them to only repair just enough to slow down damage, but not too much you are behind in mining. Aim for single-pylons with the siege tank that comes out after you barracks and factory switch.

If the Protoss commits too hard, they lose. And if they retreat, they will lose the macro game. Their follow up is going to be a DT attempt, so build a starport when securing your natural, then engineering bay, keep Raven patrolling at home, wait until you pump out another siege tank, and 8 marines, and 2 marauders and push out into the opponent natural. Leave a small force at home.

Now if your reaper is alive, and you see their main has 0 enemy units, the above can be negated after you fend of the cannon rush, and just Marauder, tank and SCV rush their main because you will have 22 workers vs their 13 and only one or two stalkers by the time you get there. But only do this if you have the right info, otherwise wait for your timing attack.

3 Likes

uh i do appreciate seeing a video posted on the forums for once, but this isn’t a cannon rush. This looks more like a late proxy. I’m not even sure what I was watching from that toss.

1 Like
  1. I prefer to wall early in my main (sets you back slightly but is worth it against toss in lower leagues where you’re going to get cannon rushed.)
  2. Because of point 1, they’ll only really be able to set up in your natural, so you’ll either see it from your ramp, or see it as your 18 SCV starts to scout.
  3. Pull your SCVs, not all of them but get at least 3 SCVs per cannon warping in, and 2 SCVs per probe (attacking them).

You can largely ignore the pylons especially once the probe is out of the picture, and the cannons are down. Pull enough SCVs though to fill in the gaps if a cannon warps in in time to kill off some SCVs. Your Marines and other units can clean up the pylon(s) once they start coming out of production.

Another key here is that when you’re pulling the SCVs you’re raising the depot immediately behind them.

1. Stay calm. This takes practice but once you start learning to keep cool you’ll welcome the cannon rush as a potential easy win when you see one being executed, as most toss will just qq once you’ve shut it down.

Happy hunting!