Starcraft 64. Is it worth playing these days?

So I recently picked up an N64 and was looking at used games and one of them I noticed was Starcraft 64. Apparently this was a rather significant game for Blizzard at the time. However is this game even worth playing on a console? Because I am used to playing SC2 on PC and there is stuff like hotkey groups. So I worry that perhaps a game like this may be a bit dated for what I am used to.

basically play it for the fun of it,

As someone who played it to completion for the sake of it…

No.

And if you wanted to play the exclusive custom map that comes with it then people have already ported over the map to PC.

1 Like

First of all, you should be aware that playing the Brood War missions and playing multiplayer with those units requires the N64 Memory Expansion Pak. Also, you’d want to be sure to have a second controller since the exclusive hidden mission is co-op.

Also, have you played StarCraft on PC? That’s preferable and it’s free without the Remastered upgrade.

StarCraft 64 isn’t quite as bad as it sounds as long as you read the instructions. To compensate for having to use a controller, there are shortcuts to make workers mine automatically, picking the nearest worker to build something, or selecting the nearest 18 army units. This doesn’t mean it’s very good though and it’s a huge step down from the 1998 PC game. Along with being difficult to control and players being able to see each other’s screens when playing against each other, the graphics are lower quality than the original PC version, there are very few recorded voice lines, and most of the cinematics are just slide shows.

Aside from the curiosity and laughs, the only thing it has that the PC version doesn’t is that co-op mission you can earn by beating all the campaign missions and collecting all the cheats.(Yes, instead of typing cheats you have to unlock them in a cheat menu by collecting their files on the mission maps.) That mission is canon and gets some little references in StarCraft II with some of Stukov’s dialogues and one of Fenix’s A.I. champions in Co-op. But it’s far from an essential part of the story as the conclusion gets reversed between games anyway.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the information. For now I think I am going to hold off on buying it. Since I can already play something similar on PC.

you could always download a 64 emu and play it for free, if you need links just ask, i got the good.

Wouldn’t that be kind of unethical though? Plus I already have an N64 so buying it from someone should be doable.

its only unethical if you think it is, i think its preserving video games. Theres a ton of games out there that you really cant find now a days yet you can dl them np, and play them on a better version of the system that will get rid of many of the bugs they had back in the day. Also its only pirateing if you have never owned it/bought it before, which most people who do use emulators, are doing it so they can go back and play the old games they used to have rather than play games they never did. For most of us that use them its nastalgia that makes us go back and play games we no longer have access to. Anyways, if your looking for a good emu site, check out vimm’s lair. They have just about every game for almost all the systems up to xbox 360, ps3 and most of the nintendo stuff.

Also i just one to point out that if you do go the emu route, be aware, that because of the way the n64 controlers worked, the n64 emus out there have a really hard time matching up controlers and such. So there is that you need to worry about if you do try it on emu. Might want to consider picking up a usb n64 style controler for it if you do just to make it easier on yourself.

also i just want to point out that piracy should of been null and void with the introduction of vcrs and dvrs. Anyone that has recorded a movie or tv show from cable back in the day or now has committed piracy. And the fact that cable companies, and hollywood have alloud it to continue makes the piracy bs in the first place.

I understand the preservation aspect to an extent, but if I buy an existing a game, wouldn’t that be preservation to a certain degree? Its true that many games can go bad, but there is also a lot of people out there with the skills to refurbish old game consoles and older games.

both are great ways to preserve, old cartridge games themselves are already getting rare and hard to find, but with preservation of the files they can still be played to this day. Just think how many old atari games that are floating around still but compared to how many that were produced. If a game cartridge can be refurbished thats awesome. But you also have to think in the way of the cd games out there and how many of them that get copletely destroyed over time as well. Having the existing files the cds themselves can be remade, and same goes with corrupted cartridges being able to reflash the games on them through various devices. And the only way that most of this is possible to this day is through people saving the files over time.