Starcraft 2 on Mac Big Sur Crashes on Launch

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, but it crashes every time. I’m planning off of an external HDD, which I have for years. The other Blizzard apps are running fine.

Any ideas?

Hey there,

Try setting the game to launch in windodw mode by using the Blizzard app to set up an additional command line argument.

Let me know how things go. Cheers!

Starcraft 2 does not run on M1 MacBooks blizzard needs to update interface for Big Sur since it is only compatible with Catalina

When might we expect Starcraft II to work on M1 apple products? Will it ever? I will send the thing back if it is not compatible with my favorite game. Please help

It runs for me on both M1 Mini and M1 MacBook Air. You need to have vsync turned on and run in windowed mode. You may need to edit your variables.txt file to set these parameters if it’s crashing on first load.

Last I checked its at
/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II/Variables.txt

I also am running on an external USB SSD just fine, though internal SSD is faster.

I tried this and nothing. I also tried the additional command line arguments to no avail.

I’m on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro with Big Sur. Mine was getting hung up on a weird video glitch that showed the start screen half on/half off the screen and menu items unclickable.

What fixed it for me was going to /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II/Variables.txt and switching Displaymode=2 to Displaymode=1.

That’s all. Just in case anyone else has the same problem. I was seeing it around the forums as an issue with no solutions when I was struggling.

1 Like

Hello! if you remember this where did you find the “users” at?