Smurfs are killing this game. I think we can do something

I guarantee you that the 99.9999% of players who are not professional players are not playing with the intent of winning money.

3 Likes

So, they’re a ‘casual’ player. Honestly, I would recommend co-op vs. AI, story mode, arcade etc. Ladder is known to be pretty hardcore, and you have to accept that it’s filled with competitive players, especially for such an old game. I can’t imagine people find ladder fun, there are many more relaxing games out there.

One can be a competitive player without planning to play for money.

2 Likes

That’s true, though I don’t think competitive players should be complaining about ‘smurfs’. The game isn’t that popular, ladder anyway. There are barely any average players left. It doesn’t make much sense to play ladder with no hope of making a job out of it, really.

If youre playing competitively on the ladder, that means you want it to be, well, competitive. Not a curb stomp in either direction. God forbid people play the game because they actually like it.

3 Likes

That’s true, but you’ve gotta be realistic about the playerbase these days. Who’s gonna play it? Casuals mucking around, and pros. That’s it. There’s no real middleground. It’s honestly boring/too difficult of a game if you’re not cheesing. That’s why most people play arcade.

1 Like

People are whining about being beaten by better players instead of getting better so they don’t lose. I used to be one of those people too. Then I grew up, stopped blaming others for my own inadequacies and as a result I got better.

No excuses and no amount of people acting entitled to perfectly balanced games is going to change that the solution to smurfing in it’s current form is simply to get better at the game.

Wake me up if we have to start dealing with mass smurfs or streamers doing Bronze to GM exploitation content. Until then this is a “watch the replay and figure out how to be a better player” situation.

They ruined the game the moment when they decided to make SC2 F2P. The idea itself is not bad, but ladder should never be free to play. It’s the core of the game for which anyone should pay. This would greatly eliminate potential for smurfing.

As for “getting better to beat smurfs” - i agree with you,that’s what i’m doing, practicing my s off to get better at this game, but do you honestly think others are practicing too ? Then you’re delusional because most people being frustrated to losing to smurfs will quit and don’t blame them for that. Smurfing is the best and fastest way to kill this game. I don’t need to remind you SC2 population is plummeting down with every month, every day. Smurfing apparently isn’t going to help the case.

2 Likes

Crazy bro, nearly every multiplayer game is free to play (Fortnite, CS:GO, COD warzone, league etc etc ETC) The core is story mode.
You don’t want a sore bottom from losing to a random, make a custom game with someone.

Oh, and BTW, the game is ‘dead’ because people want to play either a hero killer game (Like Dota) or a city builder (like SimCity) not BOTH at the same time.
Try playing the AI, if that’s not fun to you, that’s normal. That’s because the only fun you get out of this game is WINNING. That’s a bad reason to like a game.
No-ones forcing you to play the game. It’s not your job. Newsflash, people in the real world get PAID for doing things they hate. Grow up. Find a sponsor.

Why do you care what others are doing? You’re detracting from the actual point with nonsense. The answer to beating a better player, smurf or not, is to get better and stop complaining. So what’s the point in complaining about better players which may or may not be smurfs instead of getting better at the game so they don’t beat you anymore?

This is called entitlement and it’s so juvenile. If you don’t like losing, train yourself up.

1 Like

You still don’t understand the whole point of my speech. I am doing what i’m doing but i want SC2 playerbase TO BE LARGE AND HEALTHY. Just because few people like you and me can deal with smurfs by training and getting better doesn’t mean the rest of playerbase has the same mindset. Soon SC2 will be completely dead and smurfing contributes a lot to it.
I suppose you can read correctly right ? Then read the title of this thread: " Smurfs are killing the game" - it applies to entire playerbase, not to individual players. If you care about SC2 and want this game to be alive and attract new players, something needs to be done. If not soon you’ll be playing Stormgate, ZeroSpace or AOE. Got the point ?

2 Likes

I stopped caring about smurfs long time ago. I just got used to it, but what about the game and the rest of SC2 community ? Complaints are everywhere: here, on reddit, youtube and other SC2 related fora. People are tired of this and they don’t care what YOU think about. SC2 is going down like a sinking ship and smurfing is perhaps the main reason for this. Like i said. F2P is okay for campaing, coop but definitely not ladder. Unfortunately it’s irreversible at this point so people will keep spamming alt accounts bullying lower leagues either for trolling or entertainment on twitch and this is the fastest way to kill this game.

1 Like

If people really want to play with similar people, do what they do in Korea and find training partners. The game is dead as hell because no-one wants to play it, because the game is BORING. Don’t blame anyone else but yourselves. Crybabies.

That’s why ladder exists… you have ELO rating which attempts to find an opponent which matches your skill level. So if diamond smurf plays agains silver, what can you tell silver player ? “Stop crying, gitgud and you will smash that smurf ?” I guarantee you it won’t work for like 99% of all victims.

You don’t get it, it’s a 10+ year old game that barely anyone likes. Everyone left is either a massive casual, or paid to play. That is why you need to find people who are interested.

How do you want to find people who are interested ? Any idea how to attract new players ? If smurfing did not exist, perhaps some ppl would give it a shot, but knowing you will get smashed by people a lot better than you will result in casuals massively dropping the game in favor of some other game. That’s what it is and we can do nothing about that. It’s simple psychology.

Not being able to find ONE person, no old friends, no discord whatever is extremely telling. I’m sure you could if you really tried. It goes to show how unpopular this game is. Everybody you see on youtube is making money off of it.

The playerbase is big enough that this isn’t a problem mate. You’re just being weird and salty. Chances are, to be direct here, that the “smurfs” you were vsing weren’t smurfs at all. They were probably old players returning or they were playing unranked.

Smurfs aren’t all that common and you have a serious problem with entitlement when it comes to skill in sc2. Combine those and you get the world’s smallest violin playing my heart bleeds for you.

Get gud or get wrecked.

LOL dude.

I told you - I DONT CARE ABOUT SMURFS ANYMORE because i’m practicing to beat them - exactly as you said. But tell this to the rest of SC2 community. Typical smurfing victim has a choice - gitgud or quit ? What do you think most will do ? And stop pretending that SC2 isn’t dying because of smurfing.

Take a look at this:
h ttps://sc2pulse.nephest.com/sc2/?season=59&queue=LOTV_1V1&team-type=ARRANGED&us=true&eu=true&kr=true&cn=true&bro=true&sil=true&gol=true&pla=true&dia=true&mas=true&gra=true&page=0&type=ladder&ratingAnchor=99999&idAnchor=0&count=1#stats-global

Global popoulation used to be 350k, now it’s 90k. Chinese server taken down also contributed to this but don’t tell anyone nonsense “Playerbase is big enough”.

2 Likes

WTF? The game is not dead, most RTS games don’t even have their peak ratings even close to what SC2 has now, after 14 years.

And the balance is very good compared to what it was before.

What are you high on?