Smurfing ruins the game

Yes smurf is definitely bad but there is no way to avoid it, specially with free 2 play. Not to mention SC2 have a great system to make smurfs get quickly to their leagues which is provisional MMR in the first 25 games of the account. The good thing is that it doesn’t take long for the smurf to go above your league.

IMO Barcoding is even worse than smurfing but there is no way to avoid it.

What we can do is bring the devs’ attention on it. Upvote, comment, the bigger it becomes, the more likely we’ll catch their eye.

And yeah, typically smurfs would either answer by “L2P noob”, or “are you crying ?”, when it’s not straight up insults right off the bat.

It can take as long as they want if they freelose (which is the only problematic type of smurfs). I’ve linked a thread that explains it in detail.

Can you give us some examples that would substantiate your smurfing claims? What does the player do that signals to you they’re smurfing at your level of play?

If they’re on separate occassions, it’s totally normal to have good/bad streak.

Especially at odd hours when you run into the same person 3-4 times and they just quit instantly upon seeing you.

I’ve an idea that could be easily implemented. Simply disable the quit game option from the F10 menu for a timed period (similar as resource sharing in team games), lets say ~3 minutes might be a reasonable time to “show” the quit game option.

So the only way this people could do is to close the app entirely and get discouraged for doing so every time since it takes some time to login.

2 Likes

My idea that was posted on the old forum in regards with delaying the time that you can requeue a match.

5:00 Minute delays coincides with the duration of the match.
25:00 Minute game, doesn’t affect you.
4:30 Minute cannon rush, please wait 30 seconds.
Insta-leave, please wait 5 minutes.

You’re completely right. They’ve killed this fing game, and I LOVE the game, I just hate the fing players. It’s f*ing bullsht, cowardly dickheads with no balls. This game is a piece of art, it’s amazing and I commend Blizzard for everything they’ve done. I think it’s the single best game ever made. Unfortunately, it’s full of lame piece of sht who make new profiles because they think it’s funny. It’s not a small issue either, it about 30-40% of my games now. And since it went free to play… Yeah, THAT was the nail in the coffin. RIP SC2, the players killed you.

1 Like

sure

20characterlimit

The solution to this problem is pretty easy and it is implemented in other ranked ladders.

If someone leaves a game he gets 10 minutes penalty (i.e. he can’t queue for a game) for second leave in a row he gets 20 minutes then 40 and 1h. I doubt someone would have the nerve to wait so much to ram his rank.

5 Likes

Smurfs have a right to enjoy the game as much as anyone else. Seems boring to me, but if they want to spend their SC2 time bashing noobs, so be it. For the people being bashed, look at it as a learning experience. You can probably learn a lot from watching those smurfs’ replays.

What if he plays against people in his league like everyone else?. That’s not enough?. It is not the fault of others that he does not tolerate losing. I find it sick that someone finds it funny to crush noobs. What is the purpose of that?

Am i smurfing if I master one race, and decide to learn an offrace, and use a strategy that I’ve lost to and do it well, and d!ckstomp someone in a low league, because my offrace is low mmr?

Fun fact: 50% of 1v1 players leave the game before the match is over. The other 50% are the winners.

No, the problem is people who quit games to lower their mmr.

1 Like

Please define what you call smurfing.

To smurf is to play on an account which isn’t your main one.

• High level players (M1 → pros) use this not to be spied upon (builds, moves) while laddering.

• Regular users (M2 → gold) use this in conjunction to freelosing, deliberately lowering their MMR in order to play lower level users.

Both can be called smurfs. And though the first use is legit, the one you’ll see most users complain about is the second one.

The main difference between those two types of smurfs, is that only the second sort will freelose.

More detailed information below if you want :

1 Like

So…my mmr is plat and I’m really a d1 or m3… I purposely lost games last season not to play bronze etc. I actually just wanted the bronze title to hear the rage of people saying they dont want me on their team or in game they say things like “man we got a bronze here. This gonna be rough” to go ahead and perform well and exceed expectations. I’m 15-0 this season as you see I’m not winning and then losing to stay low league and just abuse lower level players. I’m actually in the process to climb back up cause I’m going to be getting involved in more ranked games now so headed to the sky! Many of these smurfs are usually top level players though and many gms do it too. I’m guessing they dont want the publicity? Either way. Making this post only fuels the reason smurfs do what they do. Best way to play is treat every opponent. Regardless of league as if you’re facing a gm…because you might be. If your outmatched…think of it as a learning experience…fyi I achieved master league after going against a gm friend of mine over 200 times as a plat 1. You’ll learn alot when you constantly lose to good competition. I enjoy being outmatched and being cheesed is my favorite as it will teach you how to react under pressure…which is essentially one of the most important aspects to get out of the lower leagues. Tl dr I’m out

Which is why you play 1K MMR under yours. Q.E.D.

I guess it depends on the purpose of the smurf… If they are playing people below their skill to avoid losses then they are toxic to the community. Its like going outside and playing a 10year old in basketball and bragging that you beat them.

If they are doing a tutorial or just trying to teach or give tips then that is ok…

Now there is this grey area… which is where people like beasty falls under. and that is the bronze to GM builds. where half of the things they do will work just because they are better than the person they are playing against. I guess if they announced what they are doing its ok. but what if they don’t announce. is it the same as the smurf that are playing people 2k mmr below their own. I don’t know.

Do you know Smurfs that brag about beating lower league players? Lol that’s the most absurd metaphor.
Do you know people who play ten year olds in basketball and brag about that, too?

1 Like