Should I just give up on 1v1?

Feels like I will always just be a 4v4 RT nab. My tactics fail miserably in 1v1. I get pwned by reapers, widow mines, roaches etc. Just keep getting obliterated in 1v1.

Dont be so hard on yourself. In 1v1 its all about Meta stratedgy and If you dont use them or dont know Them you die instantly or you have a very big disadvantage.

You See, for every stratedgy you use there is a wide Window of Something you are Safe against and Something you are weak against. Meta strats are Often used because they are “explored”. Meaning you can Play Them and based on what you Scout you can react accordingly. And how to react is explored and Sometimes documented by pro Players.

For example maybe you Go 3 Base quickly you are good against Someone who actually wants to macro and you gain the Advantage in the Long Run But you can die to Like everything (widow Mine drop Proxy rax 3 rax et cetera) but If you stay one Base you are Safe against everything but you will lose in the Long Run.

Most 1v1 Players know this principle in and Out meaning they more or less know the Meta strats and the dos and donts. And for Someone who is new to 1v1 it can get pretty hard to know ALL the possibilities (i mean its kinda Impossible) and the correct Response.

1 Like

Well, that’s why SC2 has so small player base. You will always be destroyed in your first games. And only those, who survive these games, learn some basic builds, defense tactics, bindings etc, after some time get out of plat and enjoy cool game.

1vs1 is not something what will give you joy at the start. So it all depends on you. If you try hard, you will eventually be able to easily destroy all these guys.

1 Like

You are under no obligation to play 1v1 if you aren’t enjoying it. There are a lot of big StarCraft fans who ever play against other people at all and stick with Campaign, Co-op, and vs A.I.

Improving at 1v1 is possible but it takes time. Getting your economy and production going early on is the most important aspect as you need them to have a good enough army in the first place.

It’s your decision either way.

3 Likes

Wow you guys are giving such great responses, I am truly impressed. Felt pretty down after getting destroyed over and over. Seems like my 4v4 tactics fail so badly in 1v1…I mean I look at my ally’s and they are masters in team games while gold in solo. Is that how it is? just don’t know what to do.

First and foremost you have to enjoy yourself then you can worry about being a sweaty player. That being said 4v4 i think is dominated by sky comps and their most efficient counters overwhelmingly so it isn’t that easy to truly master (raven vikings bcs and oracles tempests carriers with some ground support from ghosts high templars)

The first thing is, you need a build order. I can still remember my first games in 1vs1. I was playing 4 gates + robo all-in from one base in every matchup. Brought me into silver in a week. Then 2 base all-ins. And then, in the plat, I started to play macro. You need youtube guides, where they show some build orders or how to defend against specific cheeses.

To be blunt, 1v1 is incredibly cutthroat and, frankly, stressful. Once you get to about high Silver or low Gold, you have to play in a very particular way if you want to get anywhere, otherwise you’ll just get creamed. I’m low Diamond and, let me tell you, even the slightest mistake gets you severely punished… miss a scout on what tech the opponent has, prepare to be harassed by a unit that you can’t easily counter without it snowballing later on (e.g. Mutalisks or Battlecruisers). Accidentally cast Guardian Shield or Tactical Jump instead of Force Field or Yamato Cannon respectively (default hotkeys are side-by-side), prepare to get your base overrun or lose valuable units! Have a blind spot in your base, prepare to get dropped or Nydus’d there!

Honestly I only play 1v1 sparingly now because it’s just so stressful and rage-inducing, even the hard-earned victories. Team games tend to be far more enjoyable, and Co-op allows you to try different and unique strategies in a friendlier environment.

1 Like

1v1 is very different, most certainly. Learing builds and openings takes a bit of practice but you will get there!

1v1 is definitely the most optimized of the ladder modes. Aside from being the only real matchup done by pros on a regular basis it has also consistently been the most popular for both sc1 and sc2. While at the lower levels you can certainly get away with some whacked out stuff as you climb higher and higher you need to become very efficient to stay competitive. You need to know what the current meta is how to play as and against it and it changes periodically not only because of new balance patches but also players who love to experiment with new tactics. Playing Off meta is certainly still possible and may even let you throw some opponents off guard but probably won’t be very consistent. I do find off meta games tend towards the most entertaining to watch on the pro scene though. So maybe you will have some more fun playing off meta strats even if you don’t win as consistently.

Yes, you should just give up. #justdoit

1 Like

yeah you shoudl 20 cjar

1 Like

LOL. Albert Einstein said: “crazy is to do the same thing and expect different results”.
Cant u try ? I am in gold 3 and been playing a thousand games. You play against other that also thinks furiusly!

You need to learn 1 build per each match-up.

You also need to learn what to scout - to be able to spot at least most of aggressive builds that require deviation from your build (if you are Terran and you play against Protoss, there are 6 main openings that Protoss can go for… sigh…).

Finally, you need to learn how to deal with at least most popular cheeses. Luckly, there are plenty of guides on youtube for that.

Well, that’s kinda the point… To get your body shaking from adrenaline.

Why else to play this game?=)

1 Like

Just stop playing and wait for Stormgate. Its going to blow this game out of the water.

1 Like

It’s a good point, but to answer the question… to enjoy yourself and maybe improve your hand-eye co-ordination and strategic and tactical planning skills. Generally, I find classic First-Person Shooter deathmatch games to be better for adrenaline, especially a 90s FPS (Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake and Unreal Tournament) which were often very fast-paced (although UT99 was a little slower and more strategic).

1 Like

Stormgate ain’t even a thing, and won’t be until minimum 2025. Everything screams Vaporware.

Vaporware? lol. Go look up Nero’s video on where he describes the games we was playing. They invited him to the office and let him try out the engine and one of the races. He gushes over it. Also, the beta is coming out this year, not 2025.

again, 0 game play, no real in game shots. Basically everything in the video of neuro screamed red flags. 2025 would be the game that would be the last final build . Otherwise its still just going to remain in pre pre pre alpha and we will just have a huge fat ‘what if’ of a game. But time will tell.

That’s the point of the game after all. All these try-hard “sweaty” players in GM are losing even when they win, because they aren’t having fun. What a bunch of flipping losers. If you are Gold but you are having fun, you’re winning more than any of those clowns in GM.