Selendis Look and Voice

I find that Selendis looked much better in Wings of liberty than Legacy of the void , her voice sounded better as well.

Anybody feel the same ?

1 Like

I definitely prefer her WoL look where she was less feminized, and dislike that art shift for female Protoss in general, but her voice is more or less the same in both

5 Likes

That reminds me of that “mammalization” thread on the old forum. Fun times.

“Illumination breastfeeding”

Looking at her different art now, I’m surprised how much smaller her eyes got in lotv. They seemed to have shrunken her head as well.

1 Like

Some amusing trivia is that in SC1 pre-BW, protoss were implied not to have genders. The human bios have gender noted but the alien bios don’t. The first female protoss were Edullon and Syndrea in the licensed Insurrection campaign, assuming that’s canon to any degree.

I also dislike the mammalization of protoss. I find it creatively lazy, nonsensical, humanocentric, and potentially sexist.

Did you know that the protoss were originally intended to be a robotic race? I wish Blizzard had gone with that, or something similarly exotic like mineral life forms. Would have avoided this fiasco that way. Hopefully.

1 Like

No they weren’t? I feel like I say this to you a lot. They use gendered pronouns when referring to each other. “He has reached the Khala’s End”, etc… Just because they didn’t make the same deal out of it as they did the terrans, doesn’t mean it didn’t exist, it just means it wasn’t important.

4 Likes

The bios of the protoss and zerg characters in the manual did not note gender. The human character bios did.

Pronouns aren’t the same thing. The zerg used male pronouns too but they obviously aren’t male in the same sense as humans.

English doesn’t have gender-neutral pronouns, so male pronouns were used because they’re often considered the default. (Don’t get me started on LGBT theory here.)

Honestly, I would’ve preferred if the protoss were all one sex or something similarly alien. Gay warriors would fit with their greco-roman inspirations.

Fun trivia: Aedus/Xerxes are the first implied gay couple in Starcraft EU.

1 Like

It. They. The pronouns exist. Youre reading more into this than is there. The fact that they made the leader of the Dark Templar a woman supports the idea that it simply wasn’t important rather than that they originally had some idea for a single-sex species. Maybe they toyed with it at some point, but clearly it was not the intent in their final product.

3 Likes

You’re right. Still annoys me though.

If you feel bored.

Ah when the forum still had pages, good times

I miss it so damn much, it isn’t even funny.

I hate how clicking on a thread doesn’t even take you to the last page. Who designed this $hit?

A tidbit I liked from the Ihanrii Adepts is that because, like all the Ihanrii biological units, they’re not wearing the adept chest plate that protrudes out in a breast-like way and just have the normal flat Protoss chest. It’s only really overtly noticeable in their attack animations from certain angles, but it’s a cool detail

I was really upset when Raszagal was introduced in Brood War, I would have much preferred Protoss to be a non-gendered or uni-gendered race, like the Namekians in DBZ for example. Creating Protoss genders humanizes them too much, IMO.

I once suggested that the protoss should have been a weird stone-based race that were between robots and living things. This would make them distinct from both terran and zerg in aesthetic and biology.

Now the ihanrii introduced literal golems into the franchise. Why couldn’t this be done twenty years ago? Curse you, hindsight!

1 Like

Pretty much every advanced lifeform on Earth has two sexes, mind you.

1 Like

Yup, but I think it would be cool if Protoss had become so advanced to surpass the need for sexual reproduction. Afterall, they can transform matter into energy, like seen with the Archons (albeit only temporarily).

I once entertained a few ideas for protoss using their psychic powers to replace various aspects of biology like digestion and reproduction. Instead of eating, they use their psionics to consume psi. Instead of sex, they use their powers to make an egg.

Well, they “eat” light. All we know thus far.

2 Likes